UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help ID Reising magazines & pouches

Help ID Reising magazines & pouches

Hi,
    First time on the forum. I am still pending delivery of Model 50, however hearing about magazine availability issues I obtained some. Some have a small 1 cm / 3/8 inch disc welded on back top of magazine. Others do not is the a difference in early / late production? Any issues with not having disc?
    Also how do I tell if pouches are original or reproductions? My camera photo seem too large to post do I need to use phone camera?

Thanks
    Bob
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by RjF; 02-10-2020 at 10:21 AM. Reason: photos

UZI Talk Supporter
    You need to resize the pictures. I use an app I downloaded for free on my phone

What app?

The 20 round H&R factory magazines come both ways with and without the re-enforcing disc. FWIW the more recent production commercial Christie and Keystone 30 round mags all have the disc. I strongly suspect but cannot prove that H&R added the disc in response to early complaints from the USMC about the mag lips getting deformed in service, ultimately H&R changed to the 12 round mags because of this problem. Frank Iannamico does not address the design issue of the re-enforcing disc in his Reising book.

There are a lot of repro mag pouches out there. AFAIK the real ones will have a mfgr's ID marking on them like the R.M. CO. in your examples. However some enterprising counterfeiters mark their copies with similar stamps. There is a wealth of information about Thompson pouches available on line and very, very little about Reising pouches.
    Other than chasing down the info about real vs. fake R.M. CO. markings on TSMG pouches I can't really offer much help.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Name:  Screenshot_20200210-112034_Photo & Picture Resizer_copy_720x366.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  22.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    What app?
    The one I use looks like this.

I'll stop de-railing the thread now that I see the OP has posted pics

Strangeranger,
    Thanks, the magazines without disk appear not or seldom used and are are blued. The pouches (i.e. thread) are not fluorescent under UV (fluorescence is supposed to be clue with WWII German reproductions).
    Not sure if it is applicable here. Paper work filed in Oct. 2019 so still a wait before I take ownership. Is it better to use 185 grn ammunition to reduce stress on 60+ yr. old firearm?
    Thanks

I think trying to track down the legitimacy of the markings is still your best bet. That type of Reising mag pouch is fairly late production and are very similar to the TSMG pouches of the same era. The earlier ones are visibly different with a darker colored border stitched around the flaps. It would make sense that the markings would be the same font and similar location to the TSMG pouches from any given manufacturer. The info on Reising stuff is nowhere near as complete as is that for the Thompsons. There simply are not as many enthusiasts doing the research and a lot of the records no longer exist.

As for ammo, the factory 185 ball can be pretty high velocity stuff and may not reduce wear and tear on the Reising. Most of the people who are playing with 185s are using very moderate handloads with copper plated bullets. Cast lead with no plating will clog up the compensator in short order.

I had a couple of boxes of USGI Winchester 185gr FMJ match . Took them out and ran them through my Reising for giggles and laughs . Much to my surprise they fed and functioned fine and also slowed the rate of fire and it seemed to run a lot smoother than GI ball . Try them , you might like them .
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread