UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If I built a kit am I subject to 922r?

UZI Talk Supporter

If I built a kit am I subject to 922r?

If I'm making the receiver from a flat on a Cetme (G3), does it qualify as a made in the USA gun which is exempt from 922r?

No.

922r states you cannot make a firearm in a configuration that is banned from import, unless it contains no more than 10 imported parts from a list. The origin of the receiver does not affect the requirements of this, except as a countable part. The very reason 922r exists is because a few companies were assembling imported parts kits on US made receivers to get around the import bans.

The HK G3/91 contains the following 17 countable parts:

Receiver
    Barrel
    Mounting block (front trunion)
    Muzzle attachment
    Bolt
    Bolt carrier
    Operating rods (cocking handle)
    Trigger housing (FCG box)
    Trigger
    Hammer
    Sear
    Buttstock
    Pistol grip
    Forearm, handguard
    Magazine body
    Follower
    Floorplate

Since you are starting with a US made receiver, the parts kit only contains 16 imported parts from the list. You need to replace 6 parts to be compliant with 922r. Unless you have an older kit with an intact OEM bbl, you will likely be using a US made bbl so now the count goes down to 5 more US made parts. There are many readily available US made parts.

That said, 922r is basically unenforceable unless you admit to violating it or document it with say a build thread. The offense is the assembly of the rifle, so all anyone has to do is say "I bought it that way" or" the guy I had build it for me said it was compliant" and they have to prove otherwise, beyond a reasonable doubt. PTR gets caught selling rifles with too many German parts in them, yeah someone might get charged. A guy who made one in his basement? Unless they are piling on the charges because you did something else naughty, no one is going to bother to invest the time and $$$ to investigate and get proof.
    Last edited by slimshady; 06-14-2020 at 03:03 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thank you very much. Can these be set up to use ar-10 magazines? It seems the only US made one for the g3 is the Thermold. Yuck.

Not that I know of, one of the things that make a CETME/G3 desirable are the cheap surplus magazines. At one time AL were a buck or two and steel were $3. Even now they are out there for less than a generic AR15 magazine.

Kinda pricey, but I would recommend going with the US made HK G3 trigger packs, they run around $200-230 or so. 4 US parts, but I don't think they fit in CETME lowers, you have to get an HK SEF type lower and selector but the whole unit will interchange. US made pistol grip for a steel lower should not be hard to source, and there are your 5 needed parts. If you would prefer the "Navy" style HK lower the whole housing counts as the "pistol grip" and are available as US made.

Most of the external US parts are interchangeable between the CETME and HK, like flash hiders, cocking handles, etc. so you could go that route too. The trigger packs are totally different, and CETME internals (US made) are harder to find these days. The HK packs are considered an upgrade.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thank you

+ Reply to Thread