UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Experience with the S&W M&P Ar15-22

UZI Talk Life Member

Experience with the S&W M&P Ar15-22

Not wanting to divert an existing thread, I'm interested in opinions and experience with the Smith and Wesson M&P AR15-22 line.

Specifically what has been your experience with a FA lower and the M&P AR15-22 magazines?

What is your opinion of the Boonie Packer 'Better Mag Adapter' aka BMAII?

Does the AR15-22 upper mount up on any FA lower? Or are you using a typical dedicated .22LR upper with the CMMG .22LR kit?

I'm asking as I have never been able to get my M614 lower to run well in FA. I've tried all types of .22LR ammo, two different uppers (CMMG dedicated collar/barrel and CMMG insert in 7" 5.56 barrel).

I'm going to try three more things:

1. Try several FA trips that CMMG custom tweaked for me; they advance the timing.

2. Swap to an M16A1 lower.

3. Try the BMAII and AR15-22 mags I already have.

I have a reduced power hammer spring and the stainless CMMG kits have been polished. I have the CMMG charging handles with the underside filled in to reduce spent cartridge capture and malfunction.

I get FTF / partially chambered / bent cartridges and 'fail to clear' spent cartridges that can't find their way out of the receiver.

So...the M&P route encourages me and am curious if others have the same experience as Strobro.
    Last edited by ScottinTexas; 06-22-2020 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Life Member

Since this is specifically about running .22lr in a M16 RR, I would have posted this in the AR-15/M16 Forum. It is my understanding that this forum is for firearms that are not covered by a specific forum. Since there is a specific forum, those with specific knowledge might not look in this specific forum. Have you looked for information at ar15? There is a specific rim fire forum. There is also a specific M16 Forum. Does your kits run in semi automatic or do you have the same issues? Also have you looked at http://www.c3junkie.com/ site? It has been a while but he did quite a bit of documentation on running .22lr in a M16 RR. I got lucky and inherited a Ceiner kit that was already "tuned", so I didn't have to mess with it. Good luck with your .22lr project.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member

If the mods want to move it great...I started to post in the M16 forum but given it was feedback specifically on the M&P Ar-22 I figured it could go either way.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I checked again this morning for other reasons but the polymer S&W 15-22 upper does not mount to AR lowers without modification. S&W changed the front lug of their polymer upper. They located the hole in the lug to be about 1/16" high and 1/16 forward. I think an offset AR receiver pin may work but the forward polymer lug would need to have 1/16" of material removed from the rear of the front lug to use the offset pin. Everything else lines up.

Nobody makes a select fire system for the 15-22 bolt anyway like CMMG has for their bot assembly.

I do not recommend a reduced power hammer spring. The JP spring resulted in light strikes with 22LR ammo for me.

UZI Talk Supporter
    You’ve got a rr lower

Buy a cmmg complete .22lr upper. Don’t buy pieces

https://cmmginc.com/product/upper-gr...-300-mk4-22lr/

Runs 100% on my colt m16a2 with good ammo. I’m using S&w 15 drums and the mag well adapter
    I use a suppressor. Only jams are dud ammo

No mods to the lower
    Plug and play

Blazer ammo works best. Bullets even feel slippery when loading
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci-...21-p-1357.aspx

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I've had very good luck using a postie FA lower, CMMG 4.5" bbl/bcg combo, and a no FA/port door upper.
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

+ Reply to Thread