UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Galil ACE 7.62X51

UZI Talk Life Member

Galil ACE 7.62X51

For those of you who love the Galil but also want to be able to have a modern weapon with standard magazines, factory rails and easily available spare parts. The .308 version has to be my favorite of all the ACE calibers. It's MOA accurate with good ammo (175gr BTHP) and optics but also shoots steel case and like it's daddy, just about anything. I'm replacing the factory rails with a Midwest Industries m-lock rail to shave another 6 ounces off the weight and streamline the look. I really love this thing. I may also try a clamp on bayonet mount from Cogburn Arsenal..
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Yep great rifle. I only wish the 1651 had the bolt hold open like the 16556. What size handguard are you going with? I'm looking at a 10" for both my 1651 & 16556. Let us know how that bayonet lug looks if you get it, I've been thinking along the same lines.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FELIX 808 View Post
    Yep great rifle. I only wish the 1651 had the bolt hold open like the 16556. What size handguard are you going with? I'm looking at a 10" for both my 1651 & 16556. Let us know how that bayonet lug looks if you get it, I've been thinking along the same lines.
    10" as well. I'm not sure the bayonet lug will fit with the new hand guard, but I have 4 weeks to worry about it Cogburn makes them to order I believe. Interestingly the 20 round Magpul mag that came with the rifle will hold the bolt open after the last round. The 25 rounders I bought won't.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    10" as well. I'm not sure the bayonet lug will fit with the new hand guard,
    It should fit fine as it ends right at the front sight. Not sure about the extended 12" ones. I'm looking at the pin on style they make. Let us know what you think when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Interestingly the 20 round Magpul mag that came with the rifle will hold the bolt open after the last round. The 25 rounders I bought won't.
    Some mags will catch the bolt, but then slam shut when the mag is dropped. On these style mags, they hang up the bolt & have to play with them to drop them out as they have a tall bolt hold block in the ones I have.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Holy Crap! That Midwest Industries M-Lok hand guard is a YUGE improvement over the factory picatinny hand guard.

UZI Talk Life Member
    OK, got the bolt on bayonet lug from Cogburn Arsenal and I think it's well worth it. Four bolts with lock nuts, well made, installs easily and works great. So simple I have to wonder why it wasn't done before.

+ Reply to Thread