UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are MPA's Fullsize and Velocity's Vmac9 upper interchangeable?

Are MPA's Fullsize and Velocity's Vmac9 upper interchangeable?

I'm fiddling around with a design that calls for a Velocity Vmac9 upper. Can I substitute an MPA Fullsize 9mm upper or have the two manufactures deviated from the Mac11/9 spec that they're no longer able to be interchanged?

UZI Talk Supporter
    I can tell you MPA's full size upper is mg spec except for some tabs on the underside. Velocity I know nothing about.

May I suggest checking out the aluminum lower MPA makes before building one?
    Last edited by Gaujo; 07-15-2020 at 09:18 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Sadly the Vmax uppers are wider and will not fit. It’s a proprietary design/size.

The MPA upper is good to go and interchanges with the original SWD M-11/9.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas SMG View Post
    Sadly the Vmax uppers are wider and will not fit. It’s a proprietary design/size.

The MPA upper is good to go and interchanges with the original SWD M-11/9.
    Ouch, at least it's not narrower. How are the two for length? I'm stuck waiting for all my parts to arrive for another few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    I can tell you MPA's full size upper is mg spec except for some tabs on the underside. Velocity I know nothing about.

May I suggest checking out the aluminum lower MPA makes before building one?
    It's a prototype design. There's an AR15 fire control group and a Glock mag involved...

UZI Talk Supporter
    Last edited by Gaujo; 07-15-2020 at 03:59 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharn View Post
    It's a prototype design. There's an AR15 fire control group and a Glock mag involved...
    Nice.

There was a member who made a HK FCG and an VMAC M11 upper. He did a good job.
    http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...-take-on-a-M11

Post pictures when you get it together.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Last edited by Gaujo; 07-15-2020 at 06:23 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    No. He was not a FFL/SOT. That would be a new MG.

I hope its similar to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xGXumSG5g0

Friendly competition is good, those two have been bouncing ideas off each other.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Can that be CNC milled in aluminum? I'd like one.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    I am sure that it could be done. My question would be, how much would it cost? Unless you can make it yourself, you would have to find a 07 willing to make it for you. The quick turnaround places like Protolabs understand that making such an item is a firearm. They are not in the firearms business, nor do they want to be. So you would need to have an 07 make it and transfer it to you. I could see that part being $3,000 to $4,000 to have a one off made from aluminum including anodizing if done by an 07. I think that the toughest part would be finding an 07 that has the manufacturing capability to actually make it. Most with actual manufacturing capacity have their own products they are making to produce profit for their business. Such a receiver looks easy enough to make, but what would it cost to convert the printing code into machine code for a CNC machine? I don't know but that all takes time. There is a 07 near me that could do it, but his rate is $65 per hour and his machines are manual. If he makes a mistake near the end and has to start over, who pays for that time? Plus he is booked out for several months. So he needs to get his rate or why take on a large custom project? Non firearm projects are easier to find shops to do the work. To find an 07 capable of doing custom receivers is not easy or cheap.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    Making the receiver out of reinforced, injection molded plastic would be a whole lot more fun, or aluminum to hold the upper and a plastic, clip on FCG module (like an HK).
    If made from billet aluminum, the first pictured receiver would weigh about 10oz if you used an AR15 pistol grip instead of including it in the receiver.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Gosh, you guys sure are making lots of nice toys... I love it. More of these- dream em up and make em!
    Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

I made a few adjustments to make it fit my upper and add name/serial/etc, the next revision may be 11/9 compatible but for now the basic design is VMAC only.

Hot off the printer

Waiting for brace

An Ender 3 Pro printer is around $200, this receiver cost about $8 worth of filament, all the software is free for non-commercial purposes. It's a ton of fun for the mechanically/computer inclined.

FreeMenDontAsk puts out awesome work, along with the rest of the Deterrence Dispensed crew. The official release of this receiver is a ways off, this is a test print, and I can't distribute the STL file. Find DD on Keybase and you'll be able to join test efforts there.

(The main differences I found were the front takedown lug extending 1.5mm lower and the side charging handle boss being 2mm lower on the MPA)

Hmm.. This is making me want a 3d printer for sure!

UZI Talk Supporter
    You fired that thing?

UZI Talk Supporter
    What is the fcg?

You fired that thing?
    Not yet, too many honey-do's, others in the test group have, even with binary triggers.
    What is the fcg?
    AR15 FCG, Glock mags.

UZI Talk Life Member

Have you ever thought about adapting the design to the MGI Windham Weaponry modular magwell system? MGI did make some magwells for Glock. It would not be as compact but you could have the adapter fit inside the receiver extension (buffer tube) in the back and the front push pin. Just a thought.

Scott

+ Reply to Thread