UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zytel mags can blow me. (M11a1 issues)

Zytel mags can blow me. (M11a1 issues)

Background: M11a1, 1985 build. Darn near NIB.

I have eleven Zytel mags. Went out today with a friend, and between both of us, we got ONE full mag dump (M11a1 with a Max11a1 9mm upper).

The only mag that worked well was the original mag that came with the M11a1, marked ".380"

Oddly, this mag looks and measures identically to the standard 9mm Zytels.

All of the Zytel mags I used are new. I inserted and then pulled down the mags, as is common practice.

The issues were mostly rounds popping out of the feed lips.

We used Herter's brass ammo.

With the .380 magazine, and the stock .380 upper, we gave up entirely. The Zytels triple fed multiple times, and were utterly Garbage.

Do I need to heat the feed lips/bend, or should I just bite the bullet and order Zmags?

I've easily gotten a finicky M10/45 running previously, and have managed to get a .22 M10 upper running like a mad bull with Butler Creek mags, but these Zytels had me so angry, I almost (almost) threw the damn gun in the woods.

I prefer running this M11a1 in .380, as crazy as that sounds. Any input is greatly appreciated.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Use the SS feed lip kit from Lage. 380 works a lot better with them in zytels.

https://max-11.com/ - M11/9 - Parts

UZI Talk Life Member

On the other hand...I had 8 or so zytels to which I laboriously epoxied the Lage stainless lips.

Didn't help one little bit with 9mm.

YMMV.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I hear ya. I still think the most reliable 380 mags are the OEM small metal mags. Just need to change the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    I hear ya. I still think the most reliable 380 mags are the OEM small metal mags. Just need to change the grip.

Yeah...lol. Hard pass. I do like the feel and look of the original Ingram grip, but I'm not going to modify the buzzgun from stock.

I'll try a few Lage kits, and hope for the best. Probably pick up a Zmag or two, as well.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Path to glory:
    1. Get Zmags
    2. Cut that one mag that works to the 20 round stop to have a "pistol sized" mag
    3. Get rid of the rest of the zytels

Unless you like tinkering, I don't see much point in working on them when there are new metal mags that are well regarded.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Just a thought here. Loco may want a CFW-A bolt int the future for 380. It is awesome. The ZMAGs have proven to be are not as reliable as small metal mags with 380 at 750-800 RPM.

Video of CFW-A bolt and 380 at 765 RPM. Sweet goodness.
    https://flic.kr/p/2i8BFvV
    Last edited by strobro32; 07-21-2020 at 06:18 AM.

I'm definitely considering a CFW bolt.

I grabbed a few Zmags today. Fingers X'd.

Thanks guys

UZI Talk Life Member

Zytel mags,I remember PGK wrote an article in SOF in the early80s complaining about them along with the soft steel the sears were made out of causing runaways.The guns sold for as little as 235.00 a pop.My how times have changed.

UZI Talk Life Member
    SWD M11-A1s were sold with one Zytel mag that had the feed lips heated and squeezed together slightly. They completed the mod by heat stamping .380 on the mag.

Take a very close look at the Cobray logo on your original magazine and on your new Zytels. I’ll bet your original mag has a raised logo and the others have a recessed logo indicating you have reproduction magazines.

I’ve had very good luck using Zmags.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas SMG View Post
    SWD Take a very close look at the Cobray logo on your original magazine and on your new Zytels. I’ll bet your original mag has a raised logo and the others have a recessed logo indicating you have reproduction magazines.
    I've had EXCELLENT performance out of raised-logo Zytels that have had Lage steel feed lips added. They've been just as reliable as my six PAM2 steel mags and my many Shockwave Zmags, and that's in both M11A1 and M11/9 guns.

That being said, though, I almost always use Shockwave Zmags these days.
    Now hosting: www.MAC-11.info

I remember when Zytel came out, it was the bees knees...until you used them. LOL

+ Reply to Thread