UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying Out the CF-W "A" Bolt in a Couple of Different Uppers, 5.25" & 11.5" Barrels

UZI Talk Supporter

Trying Out the CF-W "A" Bolt in a Couple of Different Uppers, 5.25" & 11.5" Barrels

Hello MAC community members!

I realize that a major appeal of the MAC type submachine guns is their overall compact size. For me, the appeal was simply the relatively low cost and after acquiring them, one of my first configuration changes was to mount a longer barrel. So I was not an early adopter of either the CF-W or CF-W “A” Bolts which I viewed as enhancements mainly for the short barrel enthusiasts. I waffled for a long time on whether or not to buy a tungsten bolt but I do understand the principle within the NFA world that if you see something you might want eventually, buy it now because it may not be available later. So when VegasSMG offered the latest batch of CF-W A bolts, I decided to buy one. I received mine around the middle of May and I took it out to test fire that week. I recorded the results of it then but it has taken me a while to analyze the video recordings I made. Of course, it worked really well with a 5.25” barrel but it turned out that, without adjusting the recoil spring coils, it worked really well with an 11.5” barrel which is the configuration I am now most likely to use it with.

The only issue I had was trying to use the bolt with a fully loaded half-height Zytel magazine. I tried that about 3 times but the bolt and recoil spring combination didn’t have quite enough momentum to strip off the top rounds. Removing the top two rounds solved the problem for the half-height Zytel (which I imagine few people use). There was no problem with fully loaded Shockwave Z Mags. The CF-W A is so much better than the original bolt or later improved-design steel bolts.

Here are my Rate of Fire and Muzzle Rise results using the CF-W A bolt in a couple of different uppers as well as the results using a couple of MAX-11s all using Winchester White Box 115 Grain FMJ rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvJcuh2vL6Y

UPDATE (7-25-20) After uploading that previous video, I realized the huge omission I made by not including any suppressor trials with the CF-W A bolt. Here is a short video clip that shows that it works pretty well. In fact, for me, this is possibly the best use of the CF-W A bolt - shooting suppressed with a short barrel upper. I just wish I had a shorter 9mm suppressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK6STnaPxsg

For anyone interested in the high ROF that occurs with the 11.5” barrel and an OEM type of bolt, this video can give you a rough idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQpQLEzKUDc
    Last edited by Eric; 07-25-2020 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Include link to suppressor video

UZI Talk Life Member
    Love the videos Eric. Keep them coming.

UZI Talk Life Member

Thanks for posting the video, interesting analysis.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Too bad an Uzi wasn’t in the mix.

The gun looked stable all variables considered.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I really liked the storage container too Eric. I'd have asked to buy an extra had I known!

Eric, how are you zooming in and out on your camera?
    https://youtu.be/NvJcuh2vL6Y?t=216

And lastly, I'm interested in your perspective on the preference for a longer barrel especially as you already have the 8.x" Max-11a1.
    Last edited by Gaujo; 07-22-2020 at 10:01 AM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post

Eric, how are you zooming in and out on your camera?

And lastly, I'm interested in your perspective on the preference for a longer barrel especially as you already have the 8.x" Max-11a1.
    I didn’t zoom with the camera. It’s the Ken Burns Effect in iMovie.

I know a lot of people like short barrels and there certainly is a convenience factor with them. I’m not personally a big fan of short barrels due to lower muzzle velocity and less stability & accuracy. But you reach the point of diminishing returns pretty quickly with respect to 9mm velocity and barrel length. So I’m completely happy with both the MAX-11 with its 8” barrel and the 11.5” barrel with the CF-W A Bolt.

With the Winchester White Box 115 grain FMJ ammo, here are the muzzle velocities and standard deviations I measured using 10 round groups:

5.25” Barrel with CF-W A Bolt: 1187 FPS +/- 72

5.25” Barrel with CF-W A Bolt and Vector Suppressor: 1285 FPS +/- 16

8” Barrel with MAX-11: 1326 FPS +/- 17

11.5” Barrel with CF-W A Bolt: 1343 FPS +/- 60
    Last edited by Eric; 07-26-2020 at 02:31 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    After uploading my CF-W A Bolt video above, I realized the huge omission I made by not including any suppressor trials with the CF-W A bolt. Here is a short video clip that shows that it works pretty well. In fact, for me, this is possibly the best use of the CF-W A bolt - shooting suppressed with a short barrel upper. I just wish I had a shorter 9mm suppressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK6STnaPxsg

+ Reply to Thread