UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using the versatile CF-W A bolt in the M11/9 .380 conversion.

UZI Talk Life Member

Using the versatile CF-W A bolt in the M11/9 .380 conversion.

I had good results using the A Bolt in the M11/9 .380 caliber but I was using one of Tom's "wonder" springs (modified) and I wanted to try the "orange" spring he is supplying because it is a known quantity and readily available. I had solved most of the issues I had experienced with the .380 setup so the "orange" spring would be the variable.

Other board members experienced magazine related problems using the .380 in the M11/9 (and large mag well M11) and I had similar issues. I found the zytels with the Lage feed lips work best for me, hands down.

Most of the ejection problems first experienced were caused by using the M11/9 ejector rod and I now use the longer one that came with the original .380 conversion.

I cut the spring to 85 coils and had no problems with feeding and firing and ejection was strong enough for the fired cases to clear the port. I may cut another coil or two, but will get a couple more springs from Tom first.
    ROF can be varied by using buffers, I used the Lage VBS for this test, but a mixture of buffers of different thickness could to used to fine tune.

Attached Images  

UZI Talk Life Member

I just recently tried the m11/9 conversion to .380. I only used the OEM bolt havent tried it yet with the CFW bolt. Where did you get the ".380 Conversion Ejector" Also sounds like I need to get out my Zytel mags and retry with those.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I don't know how I'd never thought of trying my zytel with .380. Is this the gen 2 CFW-a bolt?

UZI Talk Life Member

To answer a couple of questions.
    I was using a gen 2 CFW-A bolt.

SWD sold a .380 conversion kit for the M11/9, that is where I borrowed the longer ejector. Sam at Practical Solutions can probably supply one.
    Contary to some posts I've read, the conversion did not use the M11/9 bolt. It used an M11 bolt with an extension welded to the rear of the bolt, also the spring was different. The claimed ROF was 700 rpm, but is about 800 rpm with my M11/9 with factory ammo.

You can use the OEM M11/9 bolt, but the ROF is almost the same as with 9mm. I experienced a few too many failure to eject with the M11/9 ejector and the longer ejector eliminated most of them. I will post a video using the OEM bolt.

https://youtu.be/_SgFgJ5kGxE
    Attached Images  

UZI Talk Life Member

A modification I found helpful.

When using the buffers to go to a higher ROF I started experiencing occasional stovepipes, about 1% with 3 VOB buffers and about 3% with 5 buffers. I did a little grinding with a Dremel tool on the CF-W A bolt then ran 8 full magazines with 5 VOB buffers installed, zero malfunctions. Not my original idea as the M11/9 OEM bolt is slanted in that area, but I don't know if it was intended for the same purpose as mine.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by eddiep; 07-25-2020 at 08:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread