UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7.62x 25 / CF-W / Max11sk

UZI Talk Life Member

7.62x 25 / CF-W / Max11sk

I used to run 7.62 x 25 in my max-11. I was thinking about whether I could run this conversion with a max11sk & CF-W bolt configuration. Does anyone know if the max-11 & max-11sk barrels are interchangeable? They seem to be have the same inside length by eyeballing them.

Would this beat the piss out of my receiver? The max-11 seemed to handle it just fine. I still have a ton of 7.62 x 25 from when it was $80 a case.

Name:  tok.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  55.9 KB
    If I was you
    I'd be worried about me.

UZI Talk Life Member

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for mags as the 7.62x25 is long as .45? I too have multiple cases of the cheap corrosive surplus but I use it in a direct impingement AR upper with modified PPS-43 mags. I would think if the CF(W) bolt was modified to take the Lage steel weight in a standard Max-11 upper would give a decent ROF. That 7.62x25 ammo is pretty hot.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    Modified Sten mags.

I think they were commercially made for the Wiselite Colefire? They're not terribly hard to make.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/colefir...d-7-62x25.html

There's a bunch of posts about it around here somewhere from back in the day.
    Last edited by greenpeas; 07-27-2020 at 01:17 PM.
    If I was you
    I'd be worried about me.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Greenpeas,

I had a ton of that ammo too, bought it to use in the AA Upper that never came out in 7.62x25. Earlier this year I sold my 25 cans of it for $300 plus shipping which works out to about $12/50 rounds. You can get 9mm for half that (pre-pandemic, not sure what it runs now). You might consider to sell it and then buy twice as much 9mm and for less hassle than the longer, hotter, noisier cartridge.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I would suggest running it in a 31 or 31a as that would give you maximum stroke. There was a thread on the TCM .22 9R ammo and IIRC the problem was hitting the back of the receiver. Barrels should interchange no problem.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I do not have a SK, but I would bet the barrels are the same. It just makes logistical sense. I was going to try 7.62x25 with the CF-W bolt, but I cant find my barrel!
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

UZI Talk Life Member
    I had a barrel made for the MAX 31K and 22 TCM 9R ammo. It was still very hard on the brass and the lighter 31K bolt hit the back of the receiver. I had 2 case failures so I quit testing. I think it could work better with the CFW-A bolt. I wish I had a W bolt at the time to test.
    http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...rell-for-a-MAC

Last edited by strobro32; 07-27-2020 at 04:38 PM.

The barrels on the internal side are the same. I got a mk2 barrel from lage for my sk upper so I could have it cut down and 3 lugged correctly. The stock barrel wasn't long enough and I wanted the rifling to go to the end vs a normal threaded on 3 lug adapter. Running a navy style 3 lug over the barrel just looks so much cleaner.

UZI Talk Supporter
    If you reload you can get the x25 subsonic and reliable with 100 or 110 grn bullets.

Ii have a few of the modded sten mags and a chamber reamer just need a barrel blank and time to turn one out for the max 10/31
    Or the m10 oem upper.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Not sure the best way to tell if the bolt is hitting the receiver? I guess I could stick a little ball of wax or something on the buffer and check to see if it gets squished by the bolt?
    If I was you
    I'd be worried about me.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'm imagining an obvious kachunk. Stobro would know. Anybody that shot 9mm out of a baby mac with a stock bolt would know.

I had always wanted to revisit Stobro's work with a CFW bolt myself. I wonder if the x25 would be better or which is stouter in FPE and or penetration.
    Last edited by Gaujo; 07-28-2020 at 11:16 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I would like to try the 22 TCM 9R again with the CFW bolt in a 31A and 8" barrel. I would love to see the velocity we could get.

The easiest options for Tok MACs are replacing the spine on Sten mags (Sten grip) as mentioned above or using vz26 mags with modified feed lips with a bolt modified to clear them. You can also spot weld some steel into the feed lips of a grease gun mag and replace the backstrap a la Sten conversion, which without further modification will mostly work. Get the feed height right for your bolt of choice. Barrels are usually sleeved as a matter of practicality, no reason you can't turn another barrel blank though.

I also remember when Tok was dirt cheap, but remember that the value of an item is determined by the present and not the past. You got it for $80 a case, but right now 1000 rounds 7.62x25 is worth 1500 rounds of 7.62x39 or 5.45x39.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Shot a couple rounds today The bolt hits the buffer but not terribly hard. I taped a small ball of beeswax to the inside of the buffer. The wax was flattened but not smashed super thin. Might have to try and find a stiffer recoil spring?
    If I was you
    I'd be worried about me.

UZI Talk Life Member

So what are you using for a spring, the one that comes with the CF(W) bolt? If so, I would start with an OEM spring. You're are probably going to need to cut a few coils. The CF(W) bolt recoil spring is designed for 9X19 Luger. It is my understanding that 7.62x25 Tokarev is a more powerful round. 9mm with an OEM steel bolt would use a stronger spring. So with a CF(W) bolt and 7.62x25 an OEM spring with a few coils cut should work.

Thank you for the heads up on how much the surplus 7.62x25 is selling for. I have a half dozen cases in the garage with two spam cans each. Now seems like a good time to sell some. I had no idea that stuff was selling for that much.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    I'm using the CF-W spring that came with the bolt. I hadn't thought of using the standard m11/9 spring. I'll have to compare the two.
    If I was you
    I'd be worried about me.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I’d definitely use an OEM M-11/9 recoil spring with the 7.62x25 round and begin with it unclipped.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

+ Reply to Thread