UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Lage 11/15 Upper, Internal or AR Recoil Mechanism?

Which Lage 11/15 Upper, Internal or AR Recoil Mechanism?

I hate the thought of drilling a hole in the rear of my incoming 11/9 for the AR style mechanism. How good is the upper with the internal recoil mechanism? And will these take the heavy bolt to slow rate of fire? Thoughts from owners?

UZI Talk Life Member

With the IRM you are stuck with the Lage bolt. It runs well (I have one), but the only way to slow it down is to play with the adjustable gas port. Of course there are limits to how much gas you can restrict if you still want it to run reliably. I don't have an issue with the ROW on mine, but I have not played with it a lot to try and tune it.

If you want to run different calibers and barrel length configurations by all means get the ARS so you can change buffers and buffer springs. If you want to just shoot 5.56 for fun and do some mag dumps, get the IRS. The IRS runs great and is very controlable.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by renovate7 View Post
    I hate the thought of drilling a hole in the rear of my incoming 11/9 for the AR style mechanism. How good is the upper with the internal recoil mechanism? And will these take the heavy bolt to slow rate of fire? Thoughts from owners?
    This has been beaten to death over and over. I would think that the search feature would bring up a couple of pages of threads.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    I think there are a lot of topics that have beaten to death yet they keep coming up. I got the IRM. Some on here discuss ROF and excluding the cfw bolt, I think the majority of machine gun shooters are satisfied with a gun and don’t spend much time trying to get a difference of a hundred rounds per minute. Again there are people that post a lot on here that play with ROF. I think they are the exception. No determination letter. No more discussion.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Renovate7 has been a member since 2006 and has 19 posts, not like the person is wearing out the forum with questions.

UZI Talk Life Member

"renovat7", I am sorry if I came off as harsh, but with any searching at all, you would know that the internal buffer system has no real mass adjustment component. The external buffering system does have a mass and spring adjustment possibility, but a hole must be drilled in the rear of the receiver. Could the internal system have more adjustment possible? Absolutely, with custom wound springs and possibly tungsten components. Of course that is very expensive and has a "reinvent the wheel " aspect to it. Since the market has been working 50 years to adjust ROF and smoothness of operation of the AR-15/M16 mechanism using spring and buffer combinations, drilling the hole would seem to have many more options.

It would seem to me that Richard was probably the most knowledgeable as far as the development of his patented internal system. Is there something specific as to ROF you are trying to achieve? If so I would think specific questions about how achieve what you are looking to do would get you more specific answers. Could a lower ROF be achieved than standard internal recoil system? I would think so. Gas regulation and ammo can have a significant effect. Beyond that, custom engineering would be required. We chose an off the shelf buffer/recoil system so that there could be an aspect of tuning without drilling the hole. Maybe try adapting an off the shelf buffer/spring system to the Max-11/15? Most anything is possible with enough time and money.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    Over 95% of our customers pick the Internal Recoil Mechanism (IRM).
    Richard Lage
    Lage Manufacturing, L.L.C.
    www.max-11.com

UZI Talk Supporter

I chose the IRM. I love it. My only complaint would be that when I want to change uppers I’m always nervous that the catch is going to release accidentally and parts will go flying. I had this happen once even though I was very careful to make sure it was latched. Theres only a small window for this to happen during the assembly/reassembly but it’s always in the back of my mind. Maybe I’m doing something wrong? Anyone else have this happen and found a way to avoid it?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Make sure the latch is shaped like the provided template. Sometimes the hook on the end needs to be reformed.
    Richard Lage
    www.max-11.com

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by m11stuff@hotmail.com View Post
    Make sure the latch is shaped like the provided template. Sometimes the hook on the end needs to be reformed.
    Was this template provided with the early batches? I don’t believe I received that? I have number 27!

Talked to Richard himself and ordered the IRM. Just bought an M11/9 so from the out of state dealer to mine to me may be 7 months +-. I did just have the form 4 for my M10/45 approved. Went pending 2/26 and approved 7/16, under 5 months.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I think you are correct, we may have provided that later.

Here is a link to the template:

IRM Template
    Richard Lage
    www.max-11.com

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by m11stuff@hotmail.com View Post
    I think you are correct, we may have provided that later.

Here is a link to the template:

IRM Template

Thank you Sir!

+ Reply to Thread