UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: value of Maadi full auto?

value of Maadi full auto?

Anyone have a thought on a fair price for a pre-86 registered Maddi AK-47 full auto. Registered receiver. Conversion from a semi-auto import. Made and registered by a private individual. Functions well.

My initial thought would be slightly less than a converted Norinco, so maybe 18-19k. Your thoughts? Seen anything lately to use as a comp?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Who did the conversion?

Just an unknown dude. No one whose name would be recognizable.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Yeah, 18K-20K sounds about right.
    HTA poly from dealer currently listed as 24K
    https://www.davidspiwak.com/gun/ak47...-times-armory/

BTW, I would avoid using the term "pre-86" with a full transferable as most people would assume you are talking about a pre-86 dealer sample.
    If it is a pre-86 dealer sample, and not a transferable the price would be A LOT lower i.e. ~10K
    Last edited by mattnh; 07-31-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffshot View Post
    Just an unknown dude. No one whose name would be recognizable.
    Try us!!!
    I am aware of Pearl, PAWS, and SWD.

Tony

UZI Talk Life Member

Conversion from a semi-auto import. Made and registered by a private individual.
    From the original post.

Scott

The intention of the post is to get some ideas on value assuming it was made by a John Doe regular dude who scratched his name and city into the receiver with an electro-pencil. I don't have the gun or paperwork to consult. I would really like to get some other thoughts on value. Months ago, I saw the gun, read the name, and said to myself "never heard of him." Let's just assume we don't know him.

Does the conversion look good?

If so,
    Its highly possible that the Dude had a well known company make it after his approval. Ive seen a few form one guns that my friend made and he always had a company(s) do the work after approval. Some companies even putting their name on the MGs. You might want to look the gun over well for this and the quality of work.

If it was a homes true home brew gun, I would GUESS 10% less than a well known company at the time. Again quality of work means more to me; therefore, that percentage could be substantially less or nonexistent.

Just my opinion.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I choose to differ a bit. I think the gun would bring more than a Norinco conversion. It's probably one of the original Steyr Maddis. These guns in s/a bring pretty good coin. For example on May 4, 2019 a s/a gun brought 3,450 a. Rock Island https://www.rockislandauction.com/ca...keywords=maadi

The Maadi's are also popular among "Red Dawn" aficionados. Pearl did the conversions for Stembrigdge Gun Rentals that were used in "Red Dawn" and many other movies. If the conversion is by Pearl or Marty Pearl you may have a real winner there. https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...n-steyr-maadi/

One thing to also check would be how well the conversion was done. For example, is the rail slotted or goes it just have a chunk cut out of it.

I'd say that gun would sell reasonably fast for 22-24k even with an unknown person performing the conversion provided the gun isn't a complete butcher job.
    My gun collection is one murderous rampage away from becoming an arsenal

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'm with Roaster on this one..... I'd put a higher value on a well done Steyr imported Maadi conversion than a Chinese gun

You won't get any closer to a real AKM than one of these.....and 90% of the Chicom semi-AK's had some pretty hideous importers markings.

It's the perfect base for an AK-100 series "revamp" by a good builder as well....

I'm a sucker for aesthetics, and like you said, big retard-grade electro-penciled mfg. markings, which legally can't be touched, might be a dealbreaker for me....regardless of the "quality" of drilling a hole, or slotting a rail

UZI Talk Supporter
    Plus 3 on a Maadi being worth more than a comparable Chinese conversion. The Maadi AKs have a lot of features of the Soviet AKMs, rivet patterns, furniture etc. and there are far less Maddis than Chinese conversions.
    When first imported Maddis' were $1000 + the Chinese AKs $298.00 for the fixed stock model. One reason there were far less Maddi AKs imported.
    There is an entire chapter in both Grim Reaper I and II books on the semi AKs of the 1980s, including some vintage ads from the old SGN.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by ferndog1; 09-04-2020 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Villafuego View Post
    It's the perfect base for an AK-100 series "revamp" by a good builder as well....
    +4 on the Maadi being worth more. If you want to convert it to a more modern AK or simply rebuild it, it has an AKM rivet pattern, correct inside diameter front trunnion and the receiver is the correct thickness. Being from an unknown individual, I'd buy it assuming that all I was going to get good out of it was the registered receiver/front trunnion. I'd assume that I would have to have it rebuilt.

Let's just assume we don't know him.
    Try us!!!
    Why so secretive?

Tony

I'd pay more for the Maadi too if I was in the market.

Anything off with the conversion can be fixed, and you can also source original Egyptian fire control groups too since many parts kits have been imported over the years.

+ Reply to Thread