UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Bulgarian SLR-106ur with a Drum

My Bulgarian SLR-106ur (5.56 AK) with a Drum

Few years back I made a feed tower to go onto my BETA C-MAG 100 round drum for my SLR-106ur AKM(5.56mm).

I cut the top portion of a TAPCO GALIL/GOLAN magazine spliced it on the base of a M16/AR feed tower, then reinforce the mated sections with 1/8in. alumium flat stock

since it impossible to hand load these drums by hand, unless you have super human strength : , I then modified a BETA CO. M16 stripper clip loader to go over the AK feed tower.

I was shooting at a man size silhouette target from 30 and 40 feet away.

very happy with my handiwork, made in my basement.........that's where all the magic happens

the 74 brake makes impressive fireballs and huge noise :

video is a bit long, but hope you enjoy it

just a week ago I finished making a 71 round drum for my V89 (MP5-k clone) I'll put that up on the HK forum.

Last edited by Uncle Billy; 09-02-2020 at 11:28 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member

Nice handiwork. Is the Tapco mag, that you made the tower from, made of steel or plastic? I have found that the stripper clip loader was very hard on the feed lips of the plastic Beta C towers and wore them much faster. It takes a little longer but the LULA Loader works well and is much easier on the plastic feed lips. I have also found that putting a Snap-cap as the first round loaded stops that rounded aluminum spacer link dummy round from getting gouged by the bolt running over it. Thank you for sharing.

Scott

hi Scott , the TAPCO mag is plastic, funny but those inexpensive mags worked great in my SLR as well as in my SAR-3 just like the expensive Bulgarian circle 10 mags or WEIGER mags in my SAR.

here is the head scratcher, the genuine steel GALIL mags don't work at all. go figure

tell you the truth, I don't use my C-MAG that often, I maybe used it 10 times(?) since I bought from Ruben, back in the day, the feed lips aren't showing as signs of "distress " and I don't have a MG. so maybe that is why they don't show any big wear

I made it more as a fun project, to make something that is not available on the commercial market..... a one of a kinda thing

thanks for the tip on the dummy round, yeah that top spacer round gets pretty beat up. the other thing I thought about doing, is removing 1 spacer round from each side. that way the spacer will be below the feed lips and not even be in the path of the bolt to be picked up when the last round is fired.
    Last edited by Uncle Billy; 09-03-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Nice work! I'll take one.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Billy View Post
    here is the head scratcher, the genuine steel GALIL mags don't work at all. go figure
    The magazine well of the SLR-106 series of rifles was not designed for the Galil pattern magazines. The size of Galil pattern magazines is identical to 7.62x39 magazines at the top. The Bulgarian factory magazines are longer but less wide if I remember correctly.

I know they weren't design for the SLR-106, but at 12 or 13 bucks, I took a chance to see if the TAPCO 5.56mm GALIL mags would work, and it did................but the IMI steel mags didn't work at all.

I just found it kinda strange/odd that the TAPCO mags, which were patterned after the IMI mag..............then the IMI mag should've , in theory, also would work
    Last edited by Uncle Billy; 09-03-2020 at 05:16 PM.

OK, I misunderstood. I thought you were surprised the metal ones didn't work in the rifle simply because they're made for the same cartridge. My mistake. BTW, I've been able to get factory Galil polymer magazines to lock in to some rifles that the metal ones wouldn't. There are just some ever so slight dimensional differences at the top that make that happen.

UZI Talk Life Member

Being fortunate enough to have owned a Colt M16, DIAS, a LL, and all the testing (12,000 rounds of use through a Tenko adapter), I have used my five AR feed tower 5.56X45 Beta C mags quite a bit. To present the rounds properly to be pushed into the feed ramp, the plastic feed tower of the Beta C needs to be as thin as the USGI mags. Of course aluminum is much tougher than the plastic. I have found that the stripper clip loader has the rounds going from the single stack stripper clip and shoved to the left and right by the previous round. This tends to wear the inside corners of the feed lips of the tower. As the feed lips get thinner the feed lips tend to bow out and the mag will start to double feed. BETACO sells just the replacement feed tower SCM030-3 Feed Clip M16 for $17.50. Since switching to the LULA loader the towers have been lasting much longer. The stripper clip loader would wear the inside of the feed lips in around 15 cycles.

The first time I used a Beta C was in semi auto. I tried to empty the mag as fast as I could with my AR. I remember thinking somewhere around 85 or 90 rounds, "I hope the mag empties soon. My trigger finger is getting sore." I have a total of 10 Beta C mags. I have only bought one of them brand new. Most all of them I bought from a semi auto owner that used the mag a few times and decided to sell it and use the money for something else.

Since the Tapco mag is AK based, I would think that the feed lips are much thicker than the AR feed tower. Congratulations on the project. I see BETACO is selling brand new AR Beta C mags for $230. They used to be over $300. Of course the $300+ kits came in a case with a loader and graphite tubes.

Scott

there is a fix for the feed tower............and this guy was ingenious enough to make one 8 years ago, hats off to him.

best of all it doesn't require welding or any high falutin fancy machinery, just a DREMEL and a drill and self taping screws . and you're right the plastic on the TAPCO mag is thicker.

as for price, yep they came way down. to compete against the Korean knock offs, so they dropped their prices to be competitive with them, still more then Korean drums but still within reason for a US made product made by a US company. their 9mm is still up there and their .308s

I have one of those Korean AK74 (5.45X39 mm) 95 round drum, and it functions perfectly in my AKS-74U. so no complaints here

the BETA drum I bought during the 94 ban, so I paid big bucks for it. not as huge as some people were shelling out 500, 600 bucks. I paid 400 from a guy in Florida Ruben Mendiola. expensive? yeah, but it's only money, what good is it if you can't enjoy and buy something you want and it's within your finically reach? now MGs, no way Josť

the thing I especially like about a a 100 round drum, is I can bench shoot it with it, as it sits higher to the gun then a 30 round mag...............and I don't have to take a bunch of mags with me to the range, so I'm not changing out mags.
    Last edited by Uncle Billy; 09-04-2020 at 12:17 AM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Very nice work!
    That would be a fun accessory for my Golani!

Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    I see BETACO is selling brand new AR Beta C mags for $230.
    Where?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Anyone tried the Korean C-Mags?
    I'd hesitate to muck about with a Beta due to the price

UZI Talk Life Member

The 9mm might still be under patent. The .308 version is still under patent. These mags are expensive to make and are a niche market. If your Beta C is the tri-screw pre '94, the guys "behind the lines " in Massachusetts will pay probably what you paid. The Commonwealth enacted a ban on mag capacity based on the '94 NAWB. There are collectors in Massachusetts who would pay that $400 for a pre '94 Beta C.

On the BETACO website https://www.betaco.com/mobile_cmag_p...ries&weapon=25 second item down, is the 100 round AR with black back covers. You can have the clear back for $10 more. It states that any order of $100 or more gets free domestic shipping. They have the complete AR package https://www.betaco.com/mobile_cmag_p...ct=1&weapon=25 for $264 shipped. The stripper clip loader is $2.00 more. The BETACO website also shows the just the 9mm HK mag https://www.betaco.com/mobile_cmag_p...ries&weapon=32 for$250 shipped. The complete HK 9mm package https://www.betaco.com/mobile_cmag_p...ct=4&weapon=32 is $318 shipped.

Scott
    Last edited by A&S Conversions; 09-04-2020 at 05:42 AM.

I still have the box it came in

as for selling? oh I'm sure the people in those banned states would jump 30 feet in the air if they were offered a pre-ban C-MAG for 400 bucks, but that would be a bargain to them .........so nah, never needed the money that badly before and still don't. besides I kinda like the imprinted NSN on the face of it

Last edited by Uncle Billy; 09-04-2020 at 10:48 AM.

oh, and I did pick up a complete C-MAG for a MP5 few years back, from a guy walking in a gun show, couldn't let the opportunity and price pass by.

just one thing I hated about it................ loading the thing, putting 5 rounds in the loader and doing that 20 times, well, lets just say it isn't the most efficient way to do that.

so what I came up with is what was marketed and sold years ago, I saw on HKPRO.COM, a loader that was patterned after the SWEDISK K loader. since those loaders are near impossible to find, I decided to make my own by modified the base of a actual SWEDISH K loader to go over the mag . bought the loader from GUNPARTS.COM that came with 5 ganged stripper clips.

went to my basement, because that's where all the magic happens . and with some heating duct that I had laying around, DREMEL with cutting wheel, a drill and some J-B WELD, I made it to fit over the MP5 mag

so with just 3 loaded ganged stripper clips pushing then advancing it forward I can load the drum in "no time" . there is just barely enough room between the dual drums where the clips fit in and exit the loader. not by much, but it does

this is me loading a standard MP5 mag . I put 5 round in each clip, since it's a 30 round mag

Last edited by Uncle Billy; 09-04-2020 at 11:44 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Billy View Post
    I still have the box it came in

as for selling? oh I'm sure the people in those banned states would jump 30 feet in the air if they were offered a pre-ban C-MAG for 400 bucks, but that would be a bargain to them .........so nah, never needed the money that badly before and still don't. besides I kinda like the imprinted NSN on the face of it
    The only banned state that I know of that still allows pre '94 mags is Mass. To me it is not so much about the money. A new M16 owner can't buy a new mag. He must find a pre '94. I would see that as you helping someone in Mass that wants a Beta C but can't find a new one. I have a bunch of pre '94 Colt 9mm mags. I kept them because I like the steel follower. After '94 Colt went from parkerized to blued and steel followers to plastic. The plastic followers can allow the rounds to nose dive the the steel followers don't. Palmetto State Armory had a sale on 9mm Colt style mags. I t just so happened that the mags are just like the original Colt mags, parked with steel followers. I should get off my butt and pass them behind the lines in Mass.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    Anyone tried the Korean C-Mags?
    I'd hesitate to muck about with a Beta due to the price
    from all indications I have read and seen on YOUTBE they are a hit or miss, don't know if it's the person's AR or the drum itself....AR15 are notorious for not being reliably, depending on what manufacturer built them or who built the upper assy.

I can tell you without a doubt that the Korean AK74 drum (5.45x39) works great in my AKS-74U. so if they run great in my 74u, the 5.56 should run just just as well

I would post a video of me shooting my 74u with the drum, but the indoor range doesn't allow bullets (the pointy projectile) that are steel jacketed to be fired, just the ones where the bullet don't stick to the magnet. and since all my 5.45 are Ukrainian/Russian surplus I cant shoot those.

I'm not about to go and spend more money on buying WOLF NON-MAGNETIC 5.45
    Last edited by Uncle Billy; 09-05-2020 at 11:10 AM.

I just bought one of the 5.45x39 Beta type drums. I’ll post a video in a few weeks.

sounds good looking forward to seeing it

No video yet, but the 5.45x39 Beta drum stopped feeding when there were about 10rds left in it. I would have tried more, but my SLR-104FR was hot as fire by then. I'll try again, but only start with 15rds each time.

+ Reply to Thread