UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: UZI model A

UZI Talk Life Member

I'll bite.

Maybe it was an illegally altered contraband illegal unregistered machine gun that several unknowledgeable people bought and sold and were fortunate enough to not to end up in Club Fed for 10 years.

Based on those who probably know more about the Uzi than anyone else on the planet I suspect this is more likely what you had.

You asked, have been given good guidance. For free. More free advice: Stop arguing and blathering on about other guns that have no bearing on your questions.

More free advice: Buy the Uzi, bid aggressively because you think it could be an open bolt. If it is and nobody goes to jail post the details here. You'll likely make a fortune.
    Last edited by ScottinTexas; 08-01-2020 at 07:35 PM.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

All I know is what it was. There is no I don't know the difference between an open bolt and a closed bolt. apples and oranges. The only reason I would buy this gun is if I can get it cheap and resell it or it was an open bolt semi auto like I had. The UZI imo in semi auto is worthless. Its too big too heavy for a semi auto 9mm. Even if I turned it into a SBR it would still be worthless. in a SMG it has some uses, in open bolt it has some conductibility as ATF stopped any new production of such weapons. 9 pounds for a 9mm with a 25 or 32 round mag goes together like a cat and dog. A much more useful weapon would be a SBR AR15 at 6 to 7 pounds with a 30 round mag and a round that can actually do much more than a pistol round can.

Nobody is saying your open bolt semi Uzi didnít exist. What everyone is saying is you were in possession of an illegal weapon that could have landed you in prison. Might want to consider yourself lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfive1911a1 View Post
    Nobody is saying your open bolt semi Uzi didn’t exist. What everyone is saying is you were in possession of an illegal weapon that could have landed you in prison. Might want to consider yourself lucky.
    I get what you are saying. Although I never showed it to anyone outside of a few family members. I don't show my guns around much. I feel safer that way. People just don't need to know. I do wish I had just kept it and put it up. Although I really don't know what I would have used it for. So this UZI up for sale if I can get it for say 800 or under I should be able to make a few hundred bucks on it. Is that fair to say?

UZI Talk Life Member

Based on the FA SKS's I've seen, and converted AR15's it could be worth $20K.

I've seen manually FA .45-70's so yeah. Go for it.

You are smart to not let folks know what you have. Or had.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinTexas View Post
    Based on the FA SKS's I've seen, and converted AR15's it could be worth $20K.

I've seen manually FA .45-70's so yeah. Go for it.

You are smart to not let folks know what you have. Or had.
    I have no use for any full auto. I thought about it before Reagan closed the window in 86 even bought a PWA AR lower to do it with but decided I really did not need one. I wish I had and could have sold it for big bucks. The time and trouble to go through the tax stamp was just too much at the time. Now I have a trust and have 3 suppressors and one SBR. The trust makes it easy. Well easier. I still have the PWA AR. If the UZI open bolt was some illegal configuration of some kind even if it somehow slipped through the importation it may be a good thing its just gone. At the time I owned it you could at least at that time buy full auto lower trigger groups no questions asked. If I remember right they ran about 200 bucks give or take from Rhino out of South Carolina. I went to a gun show Rhino was at in Fort Lauderdale and they were selling all kinds of things cash no questions asked. All the parts for a M16 for the receiver, a fill in plug for the cut down ar bolt carrier. Cash and carry. No questions no names given or asked. I believe that Rhino is long out of business. I don't think you can as easily buy the full auto parts like those days any-longer. As far as the SKS the parts are already there. It is interesting but I would not touch one with a ten foot pole. I have no use for things that can get you that kind of trouble. I knew a guy who worked for Central Malony that is a subsidiary of Colt. He found the skimatics for the drop in ar sear and made a few in the metal shop at the factory. I did not want a thing to do with that crap. It was an interesting piece but no way no how not for me.

To answer the OP question, that gun is closed bolt and depending on condition it's worth $1500-2000, although pandemic pricing may be upping that.

No officially imported Uzi brand Uzis were sold in an open bolt configuration in the US, period. The ATF's requirements for a legal semi auto Uzi include a blocking bar welded into the receiver to only work with purpose built closed bolts. Removing the blocking bar legally creates a machine gun. What ALSO creates a machine gun is taking an SMG bolt and cutting a slot into it to fit receivers with blocking bars.

Also, "Model A" and "Model B" are Action Arms names for guns they sold on the civilian market, 100% of which were closed-bolt designs. If you owned one that did fire from an open bolt it was probably either an illegal conversion civilian gun, or an illegal original machine gun (Vietnam vet bringback?) converted to fire semi-auto.

THAT SAID, over the years I have seen several people on the internet make mention of a specific company or gunsmith who made open-bolt semi-auto Uzi builds from parts in the 1970s before the ATF shut him down. If it was one or two people I'd be willing to write it off as BS, but every now and then I see someone bring this up again. I wish I could remember the name. Does any part of this sound familiar to anyone?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by edteach View Post
    I know I had an open bolt uzi. I know it was semi only. I know it was not modified.
    I don't doubt that you owned it, that it was semi-auto, and it was open bolt. But I do doubt you have any clue about whether it was a conversion or not. A well-done conversion is indistinguishable from a factory gun. From your posts it's clear that you wouldn't know what to look for if you were trying to tell the difference, so your certainty about it not being a conversion is nonsense.

When people try to claim that their semi-auto is a factory open bolt, it's usually due to one of these reasons: they are unaware of the history of these guns and are just repeating stuff they've heard; they are trying to cover up the fact that they once owned an unregistered machine gun; or they are trying to hype the rarity of something they are selling by misrepresenting it. Sometimes it's all three. You sold the gun a long time ago so it's unlikely that the ATF would come after you at this point. But then again,...
    Looking for the definitive reference book on UZI history and technical information? Check out my book The UZI Submachine Gun Examined. Details to order a copy are here.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Now I know you are wrong on some things A bolt is a part the receiver is the only part of any gun that is considered a gun. I bought from an old man who sold coins and junk from his home a complete minus the receiver MG34 MG. I called ATF and told them what I was going to buy and was there any issue. They said the only part of any gun that is or is not a gus is the receiver. I sold it to a dealer in California who said he had a dummy receiver for it to make it a display item.
    A slotted Uzi SMG bolt, an AR15 drop in auto sear , and an HK drop in sear are all considered machine guns by ATF and must be registered or they are illegal.

I don't think you can as easily buy the full auto parts like those days any-longer.

Factory spec full auto parts are easy to get for a lot of firearms and their is nothing illegal about them. I sell them every day.
    Richard Hoffman
    Gunsmith/Owner

BWE Firearms & Parts
    Longwood, FL
    (407) 592-3975
    www.bwefirearms.com
    richard@bwefirearms.com

UZI Talk Life Member
    That is all good and fine but I owned this gun, shot it and have been into guns for 50 years. So I am not some person who heard something and came here telling you what I heard. I owned this gun for several years. I sold it to a gun shop many years ago. It was an open bolt Uzi. I saw a few of these over the years but they are rare and I really have not seen an in the past few years although I am not looking actively. You tell me, you pull the bolt back it locks and when you pull the trigger the bolt larches forward picks up a round and fires it. The firing pin was a nub that was not movable but integral to the bolt face. What the heck was it if not open bolt? When I bought it I wanted to test how it stripped off and chamber the round to fire. I was sitting in my home and my finger slipped off the bolt nob and it had just enough inertia to fire the round going through the wall. I did not have my finger on the trigger except to let go of the bolt and I let it down slow and my finger was off the trigger. No matter how you cut it it was an open bolt semi auto. Don't really care if you believe it or not. I know what I had and what it was. I have no idea if UZI imported them in numbers how how it came to be. I don't remember if it was an A or B. If someone took a SMG and made this they did a factory perfect job. I have no idea on earth why anyone would take a SMG and work to make it look like a factory semi auto. It was what it was.
    Nobody is saying you didn't have an open-bolt UZI that only fired semi-auto - we can only assume from your description that you did.
    What the people here are <<definitively>> telling you is that your description is of an illegally modified or illegally manufactured gun - period.
    End of story.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Open Bolt semis were banned in 1982 BATF documents only a few guns, MAC 10 and possibly Spitfire, no UZIs.

"It was an open bolt Uzi. I saw a few of these over the years"

But no one else has ever seen one?

+ Reply to Thread