UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Full Size Uzi Semi Conversion to SMG

Full Size Uzi Semi Conversion to SMG

A good friend is trying to purchase this Full Size Uzi Semi Conversion to SMG. Please see these images as I could not guide him since I own a Vector SMG. It's an IMI-Israel Model A.

My concern is the feed ramp ring and if barrel is semi or smg which is 10.5 as well as you will see the bar inside the receiver which the bolt is cut to slide on that bar. I notice there was no buffer on the recoil spring which seem to go on a rear slot. It has a full auto grip and not a semi. We tested the weapon and it's firing fine in Semi and Full Auto. There were no issues.

Our concern is spare parts and longevity vs a true SMG. Not sure what a fair price for this conversion will be.

If he purchases a threaded barrel should it be SMG or Semi Auto barrel?

Would appreciate and help with this purchase before we pull the trigger.
    Many thanks,

Jim B.

Jim, the feed ramp with the barrel ring is the semi-auto style and your friend would have to buy semi-auto profile barrels for it. SMG profile barrels won't work unless you have someone with a lathe turn them down to semi-auto specs. (besides the feed ramp ring being a restrictor, the trunnion bore is also too small for the SMG barrel to fit into)
    As far as spare parts go, because of the bar being intact and the bolt being slotted for it as part of the conversion, you're stuck with that bolt. You can't (legally) make or buy a new bolt for it that has the slot. From my understanding, the bolt is "married" to the gun as far as the ATF is concerned. I believe they consider making a replacement bolt with the slot to be making a new MG.
    And from my understanding, removing the bar from the receiver is not allowed either.
    With that being the case, that kind of conversion is usually considered the least desirable of the transferable UZIs available and the price should reflect that.
    As far as price, I think it's a buyers market. Personally, I wouldn't buy a transferable UZI with the blocking bar intact but that's just me. I've seen Vectors offered for sale for 12k recently so the one you have pictured would need to be under 10k to be a good deal. Just my opinion on that.

Don't cheap out, skip the bolt conversion Uzi's. Pay more for something that will be worth more in the future, and will much more serviceable presently.

UZI Talk Life Member

As stated above a registered receiver with the blocking bar in tact is the least desirable Uzi conversion. That said, if it runs it makes a good shooter. In my opinion $10k is high end for that gun in a normal market. Given current economy it should be less. Of course there are no new SMGs so prices will go up over time even on undesirable guns.

Thank you fellows. I will relate all of this info to my colleague. The price for this IMI Conversion is under 10K. I don't think there is a budget to hunt for a Vector or IMI SMG.

We ran and tested the conversion and it does not skip a beat. We are now trying to determine what spare parts will fit. For example an extractor as we have been reading the pro and con from SA to SMG. Not sure what the Conversion Uzi has now as it is 2 hours away from us after we visited. We will have to wait if purchased and approval by ATF before we can determine.

I myself have both a Vector Full Size and a MINI which we can compare parts if the purchase comes through.
    Any additional info is well received. Thank you. Jim B.

You need the FA extractor. Individual ones are sold out from what I see. I have two RR Uzis and have bolt multiple complete IMI bolts in case.

Is it a registered receiver or a registered bolt? If it is a RR with the blocking bar still in place, the slotted bolt is "married" to that receiver and cannot be replaced. If it is a registered bolt, the bolt is the machine gun and the receiver it is in is merely the host. The bolt can normally be swapped between guns, just be sure the short bbl comes off the previous host when the bolt is installed in a different one or the gun becomes an SBR.

Excellent. Please PM a link with pictures and cost so that I may forward to my colleague. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FLgunguy View Post
    You need the FA extractor. Individual ones are sold out from what I see. I have two RR Uzis and have bolt multiple complete IMI bolts in case.
    Excellent. Please PM a link with pictures and cost so that I may forward to my colleague. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    Is it a registered receiver or a registered bolt? If it is a RR with the blocking bar still in place, the slotted bolt is "married" to that receiver and cannot be replaced. If it is a registered bolt, the bolt is the machine gun and the receiver it is in is merely the host. The bolt can normally be swapped between guns, just be sure the short bbl comes off the previous host when the bolt is installed in a different one or the gun becomes an SBR.
    Is it a registered receiver. I guess bolt is married.

+ Reply to Thread