UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AR pistol 'rules'

UZI Talk Life Member

AR pistol 'rules'

Although I've never really thought AR or AK pistols made much sense, I am contemplating a dedicated .22 with a binary trigger. Maybe.

My question is around the legalities of the lower and how it gets 'branded' as a pistol vs. long gun.

If I understand, you start with a new stripped lower, or at least one that has never had a stock on it.

That lower need not be specially marked for pistol or rifle in any way.

Other than your 4473 there's no paperwork. So on the 4473 Box 18 I would assume "Type" of firearm should be "Other Firearm". Correct?

So assume you put a brace on it and a 6" barreled upper. You "built" a pistol.

Five years later you decide 'that's stupid and I want a 20" rifle with an A2 stock'. I understand 'too bad, it is forever a pistol; you can't do that.' At least that's what it appears, which leads to other questions.

Do I have this correct or am I missing something? Because sometimes I change my mind...
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

all correct, except the part where, if you take that lower put on a 20" upper assy. you can't it's always going to be pistol lower, is incorrect. you can make it as a rifle.

legally you can't go back to a pistol configuration, since once you made it a rifle and put a stock on it . but then, you are only person that will know that

Completely incorrect. As long as the gun starts out as a pistol it can go back and forth between rifle and pistol configuration. If it started as a rifle, then it can only stay a rifle or be registered as a SBR.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-...tering-firearm

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Billy View Post
    all correct, except the part where, if you take that lower put on a 20" upper assy. you can't it's always going to be pistol lower, is incorrect. you can make it as a rifle.

legally you can't go back to a pistol configuration, since once you made it a rifle and put a stock on it . but then, you are only person that will know that

Quote Originally Posted by b_saan View Post
    ... As long as the gun starts out as a pistol it can go back and forth between rifle and pistol configuration. If it started as a rifle, then it can only stay a rifle or be registered as a SBR.

+1

for new stripped lower, confirm it’s not erroneously designated as a "Long Gun" on the 4473

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBesty View Post
    +1

for new stripped lower, confirm it’s not erroneously designated as a "Long Gun" on the 4473
    Been there done that!

Quote Originally Posted by b_saan View Post
    Completely incorrect. As long as the gun starts out as a pistol it can go back and forth between rifle and pistol configuration. If it started as a rifle, then it can only stay a rifle or be registered as a SBR.

thanks for that

UZI Talk Life Member
    If you go with the brace get the tailhook gen 2

UZI Talk Life Member
    On the 4473 box 18 mine is “receiver”.

I agree on the tailhook mod2. It’s collapsible and feels like a stock.

It’s an 8” .300blk dedicated subsonic, 3lugged. Quieter than 9mm.

So assume you put a brace on it and a 6" barreled upper. You "built" a pistol.
    Yes.

You don't even need a brace, or even a buffer tube. Once you put a barrel on it, of any length, its a pistol as long as it has no stock.

A pistol is designed to be fired with one hand, with no shoulder stock. It can have any length barrel. It can have a brace but doesn't need one.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Have fun rule:
    Old Arizona saying: "A rattlesnake in the house ends all talk about animal rights!"

+ Reply to Thread