UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FTF Industries grease gun mag catch

FTF Industries grease gun mag catch

I just installed a FTF mag catch for unmodified GG mags in my PS M10 and the mags won’t lock in.

Looking in the mag well while inserting a mag, the catch shoulder is a little bit too high, or the mags are not goin in deep enough. They are unissued new in wrap from Numrich.
    The modded mags I have lock in fine, but obviously there’s up and down play.

Should I get ahold of FTF or just vise up the catch and give it a few swipes of the file? Looking in with a flashlight I’d say maybe .020 - .030 needs to be removed.

Also, will modded GG mags run reliably with the unmodded GG catch installed, or would they sit down too low to feed right?

And is this a common issue? Do the GG catches sometimes need fitting?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Poacher; 09-05-2020 at 12:51 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I had the same problem on a PS brand version. I just filed the top of the catch until it worked.

I don't know for certain but I think that they make them a bit high/thick/long to account for the variation in guns and expect those with higher catches to grind them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Poacher View Post
    I just installed a FTF mag catch for unmodified GG mags in my PS M10 and the mags won’t lock in.

Looking in the mag well while inserting a mag, the catch shoulder is a little bit too high, or the mags are not goin in deep enough. They are unissued new in wrap from Numrich.
    The modded mags I have lock in fine, but obviously there’s up and down play.

Should I get ahold of FTF or just vise up the catch and give it a few swipes of the file? Looking in with a flashlight I’d say maybe .020 - .030 needs to be removed.

Also, will modded GG mags run reliably with the unmodded GG catch installed, or would they sit down too low to feed right?

And is this a common issue? Do the GG catches sometimes need fitting?

Thanks!
    I have blued and Parkerized GG mags. Original NIW

They sit slightly different.

I suggest you just file the catch a little at a time until it just fits.

File a little at a time. Test.

When you get it just right, get some cold blue or aluminum black. Degrease the filed area, then apply the cold blue. Then oil it.

UZI Talk Life Member

If you have some original style modified mags and new USGI style Grease Gun mags, I would suggest buying a dual mag catch from Lage. Here's the site https://www.max-11.com/55.php if you are interested. Good luck with your mag catch project.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    If you have some original style modified mags and new USGI style Grease Gun mags, I would suggest buying a dual mag catch from Lage. Here's the site https://www.max-11.com/55.php if you are interested. Good luck with your mag catch project.

Scott
    Thanks I just ordered one. The last time I looked they were out.
    BTW, the mags I got from Numrich are absolutely brand new and blued.

I never did install one of those mag catches that are supposed to work with unmodified GG mags. The PS M10/45 I bought from SWD in 1989 came with a modified GG mag and I just used a file to fit every mag after that. The mag stops are filed so the mag fits a little higher in the receiver the an unmodified mag would. I always wondered if a regular mag would cause feeding problems because the mag fits lower in the receiver. I have always modified my GG mags like the original and my MAC has been dead reliable for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer535 View Post
    I never did install one of those mag catches that are supposed to work with unmodified GG mags. The PS M10/45 I bought from SWD in 1989 came with a modified GG mag and I just used a file to fit every mag after that. The mag stops are filed so the mag fits a little higher in the receiver the an unmodified mag would. I always wondered if a regular mag would cause feeding problems because the mag fits lower in the receiver. I have always modified my GG mags like the original and my MAC has been dead reliable for 30 years.
    I’ve heard of people filing GG mags to fit many times, but never heard how it’s done exactly.
    Do you just remove a bit of material off the ledge on the back (primer end) of the magazine, or the sides too? How much?

You have to file a little off the magazine stops first, then you file the back of the magazine to get it to lock. I just file the stops so they match the original magazine that came with the gun.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Why file a bunch of mags when you can file one mag catch? I'm not being critical, just curious as to the benefit of doing the mags.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Why file a bunch of mags when you can file one mag catch? I'm not being critical, just curious as to the benefit of doing the mags.
    Because if you file the mag catch then all you mags will fit lower in the receiver. This could cause feeding problems.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer535 View Post
    Because if you file the mag catch then all you mags will fit lower in the receiver. This could cause feeding problems.
    Hmm, I have a PS (Practical Solutions) catch and it was too big/long that with the mags all the way up to the bolt they still wouldn't latch. It was so long that I HAD to file both steps quite a bit. I have a few of the MAC mags that I have with the notch but a whole bunch of Grease Gun mags. Of course it has two steps to allow both mag types to function. I took quite a bit off of both steps. I wonder how much the pivot point in the mag well varies in location. Mine is a Powder Springs 45ACP.

Update- My Lage dual mag catch came in today. Both types lock in fine but it's tough to release. I'm sure it will get easier with use.

UZI Talk Life Member

You could always polish the mag catch surfaces. Just a thought. I am glad to hear that the dual mag catch works for you.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    You could always polish the mag catch surfaces. Just a thought. I am glad to hear that the dual mag catch works for you.

Scott
    Great Idea.

Update-
    I remembered ordering a couple spare mag catch springs (among other parts) while my M10 was in jail over the winter.
    I took out the original catch spring and compared the lengths.
    The original measured .660 and the spares are .555 long.
    I tried one of the spares and predictably it works much better (easier) but still locks em in secure.
    No filing/fitting necessary.
    I'm gonna try both types of mags tomorrow morning.

Worked great.

+ Reply to Thread