UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Failure to extract issues, need help

The top round in the magazine is held in a depressed position by the underside of the bolt as the bolt is traveling to the rear, so that round should have no chance to interfere with ejection until the fired casing is long gone. That's why I prefer long ejectors- the sooner you boot the fired casing out of the receiver, the less chance there is for something to screw up.

No offense was taken at your comment- I just want to emphasize that my sole interest here is to help you out.

So a single feed 9mm bolt group that I bought several years ago is actually a 45 bolt group. (I should have looked more closely when I received it)

They somehow gave me the wrong bolt. I used the recoil spring off of this bolt to replace the one on the original bolt group.

Is there a different between the 45 and 9mm recoil spring?

That's fascinating. I was trying to figure out how the bolt could have gone far enough to the rear to pick up a fresh round without the ejector striking the fired casing. A .45 bolt in a 9mm gun would explain it, as the casing would have been so undersized that the ejector ran right past the side of it. A most unusual solution to a puzzle.

Over at the Practical Solutions web page, they offer different springs for the M10 in .45 and in 9mm, so apparently they are not the same.

I never used the new bolt, it would not clear the feed ramp. Fortunately because I didn't realize they had sent me the wrong bolt.
    I did take the recoil spring off the new bolt and put it on my 9mm bolt.
    It runs great with the 2 stock type uppers but not the Fat Ghost.

I'll try an actual 9mm recoil spring and see if it makes a difference in the FG.

I should've had a new mac10 9mm recoil spring but I was sent an m11 spring by mistake also. Oh well

OK, I misread your comment about the .45 bolt. If you can, find some casings or dummy rounds without primers in them (to avoid interference from the fixed firing pin) and see if they are securely held by the extractor after they have been placed in the bolt face. You should be able to push on them from the side without the hook letting them go. Then you can try holding the bolt in your hand with the spring retainer down on a hard surface, then inserting a case in the bolt face. Press the bolt down as though it is cycling while firing and see what happens to the casing. The extractor should provide the pivot point to make it rotate out towards the ejection port.

Update

Original Bolt
    When manually working the bolt while using snap caps it extracts the chambered round about 60% of the time.

New Bolt
    I just received a new single feed 9mm bolt and while manually working the bolt when using snap caps I get great positive extraction %100 of the time.
    I hope this new bolt takes care of the issues while using my Fat Ghost upper. Its looking good so far.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Hope to shoot it sometime in the next few days.

So I think I have found the problem.
    The Fat Ghost upper is the issue. Discovered that the bolt is hitting the upper receiver. Just in front of the ejection port on the bottom of the receiver there is a short relief or cut out. The bolt is hitting the forward side of the cutout. I noticed deformation in this area from the bolt contacting it.
    This is why everything ran fine with the other 2 uppers.

+ Reply to Thread