UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buy New or Preowned Lage Upper?

Buy New or Preowned Lage Upper?

My friend is pulling the trigger on an M10/45. The dealer has one with the Lage Mk2 upper, forward grip and Lage side folding stock. Not much of a discount over buying these new, $300. Is he better off getting a gun without these and buying them new or buying the gun with them? Both guns look excellent.

UZI Talk Life Member

Most often Lage is 'out of stock'; they make production runs of a certain model and when that's gone you wait a long time for the next run.

So...if not available at thes moment from Lage you'd best get a used upper. And Lage Customer Service is so good there's no reason to NOT buy a used one at $300 less than new.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Supporter

I would not hesitate to buy a used Lage upper.
    They work well and replacement parts are available.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Buy the one with the Lage no question. I've been looking for one used for over a year, there's a reason they are hard to find second hand and it's that people keep them and enjoy them.

UZI Talk Life Member

Well, I might be the decenting voice. Is the upper the exact model that your friend wants? Would he prefer the Max-10/31? Is the upper in .45 or 9mm? Is that the caliber he wants? How about the stock? Is it the length of pull the length your buddy wants? The folding mechanism is cool but it adds weight to an already heavy system. Most guys agree that Lage makes excellent products. $300 off retail isn't bad. But would your friend buy exactly each product in the package or would there be changes? I personally would want more like $500 off retail of the package. I would arrange with the dealer a live fire demonstration. Shoot the package to make sure it is what your buddy wants. If it is great. If not then he'll know and can bargain accordingly. Once the deal is made there is still months to wait to look for the parts that he ultimately wants. Because to me, $300 off the retail price for that Lage package is only a deal if that package is exactly what he would buy for himself. Buying/selling/trading parts takes time and effort. As I have gotten older, I value my time more than when I was younger. I have parts I should sell but they just sit in the basement as I don't want to take the time. Good luck with figuring which way to go.

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879277244

Not sure what these uppers cost new from Lage but this might give you an idea what used value was in one auction.

It all depends on what you want and what Lage actually has to sell you. This year.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinTexas View Post
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879277244

Not sure what these uppers cost new from Lage but this might give you an idea what used value was in one auction.

It all depends on what you want and what Lage actually has to sell you. This year.
    Just my opinion, but I think the above auction sold for a pretty penny because of the now discontinued Lage .22 kit that seems to be in high demand now. I’m not positive, but I think this combo went for more in this auction than when they were new.

UZI Talk Life Member

No doubt the .22 kit value was significant.

I also think that upper is backordered and costs $759 new when available. It's also possible that 9mm upper alone would sell used for more than a new one at this moment - let alone a $300 discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac11/9 View Post
    Just my opinion, but I think the above auction sold for a pretty penny because of the now discontinued Lage .22 kit that seems to be in high demand now. I’m not positive, but I think this combo went for more in this auction than when they were new.
    What are they going for? I'd sell mine. Never worked worth a shit, and I sent the upper to Lage to get it 'tuned'. Not putting Lage stuff down -- its top notch. My conclusion with M11/9 and Uzi 22 kits is they are never going to work all that well because the gun wasn't designed to shoot tiny 22 rounds. My GI uzi kit worked OK, but I had to get specific ammo for it and clean the mags after every use. It became a PITA that just wasn't worth it. Especially when 22 ammo became hoarder fodder, which it continues to be. Are people really gong to fend off the zombie hoard with a fucking 22?

I would have agreed with you a few months ago but since I got mine working I love dumping cheap 22. If your looking to sell your 22 mags send me a pm.

The max11/15 is really where it's at, fantastic piece of machinery.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood886 View Post

The max11/15 is really where it's at, fantastic piece of machinery.

+1
    cant wait for the Beltfed

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    What are they going for? I'd sell mine. Never worked worth a shit, and I sent the upper to Lage to get it 'tuned'. Not putting Lage stuff down -- its top notch. My conclusion with M11/9 and Uzi 22 kits is they are never going to work all that well because the gun wasn't designed to shoot tiny 22 rounds. My GI uzi kit worked OK, but I had to get specific ammo for it and clean the mags after every use. It became a PITA that just wasn't worth it. Especially when 22 ammo became hoarder fodder, which it continues to be. Are people really gong to fend off the zombie hoard with a fucking 22?
    I went through this once myself because I found it incomprehensible. I think they're going on the fact that they could carry a couple hundred rounds if they had to bug out and it's really the only round where you could reasonably. as a result I made a killing recently selling all my bulk 22 off. My bug out plan is 556 and 3 mags of it. If I need more than that I doubt I'll survive!

+ Reply to Thread