UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AR15 Colt SP 01 full auto

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    What FCG are you running in your lower?
    I had problems with a light hammer spring. I replaced it with a standard one and it is fine now.
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

Thanks Robert, I have a adjustable one on order. Might just as well get that one to start. I have tried everything. Thanks again, JD

UZI Talk Life Member

[QUOTE=JDIllon;837341]
    Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    Is your cmmg upper a complete upper from cmmg ? Or is it parts tossed together with a cmmg bolt?

Should be plug and play. I bought a complete cmmg upper so I could call them to help get it running

What .22 ammo are you using

I’m runny cmmg collar and barrel and a new upper. It runs semi flawlessly. It run the same no matter what ammo. 2 or 3 rnds auto then stop rnd in chamber with a light hit and some times a solid hit but a live rnd. I think I’m getting sever bolt bounce. Considering heavier weight or ball detention? JD
    Get the CMMG barrel with the detent 'ring' and the CMMG collar with detent. You still need the antibounce weight.

https://cmmginc.com/product/barrel-a...t-4140cm-22lr/

This combo solved my problem that I struggled with for 2 years.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Or you could just buy a cmmg 22 upper complete. Problem
    Solved.

Sell your project upper

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    Or you could just buy a cmmg 22 upper complete. Problem
    Solved.

Sell your project upper
    More likely what someone would do is now dependent on what is "in stock'. Everybody seems to be out of most of their stock right now.

CMMG complete uppers are nearly $600; the barrel and collar are $150.

UZI Talk Supporter
    They are rarely in stock . I waited months

Time and frustration have value too. If you toss $150 more into it w a barrel and if it doesn’t run still your out more time and money experimenting.

I prefer the easiest method . $600 for a functioning upper is a bargain.

UZI Talk Life Member

All I am contributing here is that after years of frustration, my FA .22 upper issues were cured with the Colt upper receiver and swapping out the barrel for the CMMG detent-friendly dedicated barrel and new design matching detent collar. My upper receiver was never part of the problem - it was apparently bolt bounce and possibly erratic feeding using the chamber insert conversion. The CMMG detent system works and costs $450 less than a complete upper.

That's a valuable datapoint for folks to decide how they want to proceed.

The other thing to consider here is that the lower may be contributing if the sear timing isn't right. My gun is a M614 so it's a factory job, but a conversion is a different story - possibly. If the timing is off and the sear is releasing too soon then you're in a bad world that leads you to buying multiple CMMG trips, heating and bending them until you get the tab at the right angle to get the timing right.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinTexas View Post
    More likely what someone would do is now dependent on what is "in stock'. Everybody seems to be out of most of their stock right now.

CMMG complete uppers are nearly $600; the barrel and collar are $150.
    Im running a CMMG barrel and collar! But this setup doesn’t stop bolt bounce. I got running about 90% today, by adding JB Weld to the front of the auto sear trip and then filing that till I got the right timing. Still getting bolt bounce. JD
    Last edited by JDIllon; 10-28-2020 at 04:33 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDIllon View Post
    Im running a CMMG barrel and collar! JD
    Does the collar have the detent? Older version didn't. I had an older version and it didn't work.

Based on my 2+ years of dinking with mine, CCI minimags and Federal 36gr Gameshock / Champion bulk pack will run FA.

When I was in the frustrating period of trying to get mine to run, I found the Blackdog drums worked best. The CMMG and Blackdog 25 rd mags had more malfunctions but given I numbered mine and recorded ammo load I can state that there never emerged any pattern in results - except the drums had fewer failures.

Do you have the .22 charging handle that is filled in in the front to avoid cases getting caught in it?

If you have another FA lower, try that on your upper. If you don't have another FA lower, see if you can find someone local to meet and see if it runs on theirs. If it does, then maybe the conversion on your lower is the culprit. And trip tab bending is the solution.

As has been noted, since .22LR actually requires more force to ignite the primer than needed for 5.56. Probably need to retain the factory hammer spring.

Always ALWAYS clean the firing pin, the firing pin spring and channel in the bolt after use.

If your won't I would suspect the autosear trip timing is probably the issue.

+ Reply to Thread