UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What if you cant find your stamp for a legally transferred supressor

USA or if you're a Hamasnik lurker, Judea and Samaria Israel

What if you cant find your stamp for a legally transferred supressor

What do you do?

UZI Talk Life Member

Write a letter to the BATF requesting a certified copy?

That's what my jailer FFL is doing for mine that was approved 6/19 and my stamp never arrived.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Life Member
    aT.f will give you a color copy of the form. You’ll never get another physical $200 postal stamp (for that transfer) stuck on a form.

It will be like an e-filed form1. Photocopy only.

Are they putting real stamps on all the paper files and none of the efile?

Aye. Totally lame. Doesnt seem the same having a pdf of a stamp.

UZI Talk Supporter

If you had two original forms with original s/n canceled stamps you could make a second forged silencer and as long as both silencers were never caught together on one would know.
    Class 3 shooters blow thier loads faster and with only 1 pull of the trigger

Yeah, you could print the pdf 4x too.
    I don’t want to meet anyone in federal prison

first thing I do is make a copy of my form1 when i receive it, then place the original in my safe and take the copy with me for the gun I'm going to shoot. never lost the original, and I never will

How many times have you guys even been asked for a stamp? I've never been asked and never been around anyone who was asked.

I've had a couple RSOs make comments but shut up quickly when I tell them they have no legal authority to ask for my stamp.

Make a few copies of the original and stow the original somewhere safe. Make wallet copies. Make PDF copies on your phone.

UZI Talk Life Member

The ranges I go to are both privately owned and the owner / manager / RSO has every right to make sure the full auto weapons on his range are legal. I have zero problem with that. I could say 'no' and they would say 'bye'. And if I owned a range I'd do the same. Imagine the legal liability if the possessor of an illegal unlicensed FA hurt or killed someone. Damn right he has a right to ask.

That said, I've only been asked twice, and after I pulled out my stamp book the second time they quit asking. The DO ask me when I come in (about once a week) if I have any 'fun guns' with me so they can decide what lane to assign to me. I think they like to keep me away from the other customers and I'm happy to oblige.

not once did anyone ask me.............but, the way my luck is the first time I forget to bring it along is when LE/ATF will ask to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinTexas View Post
    The ranges I go to are both privately owned and the owner / manager / RSO has every right to make sure the full auto weapons on his range are legal. I have zero problem with that. I could say 'no' and they would say 'bye'. And if I owned a range I'd do the same. Imagine the legal liability if the possessor of an illegal unlicensed FA hurt or killed someone. Damn right he has a right to ask.

That said, I've only been asked twice, and after I pulled out my stamp book the second time they quit asking. The DO ask me when I come in (about once a week) if I have any 'fun guns' with me so they can decide what lane to assign to me. I think they like to keep me away from the other customers and I'm happy to oblige.
    When I lived in the Denver area, I visited one specific range that wanted to see my stamp every time I visited. They had 10 public lanes, and 10 private lanes I believe. They always put me on the private side even though I was not a member to keep me away from the general public as they thought someone may try to jump you and take your machinegun. I never saw the logic in that, but it was ok with me.
    I also shot quite a bit at Centennial gun club with my F/A UZI, and they would let you mingle among the commoners. They never wanted to see my stamp for that or any suppressors.

I also carry copies and leave the originals in my safe in the batcave...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinTexas View Post

Is he IRS or ATF? If not he has zero legal right to view your tax information, AKA Tax Stamp.

He does have the right to ask you to leave his property for any reason.

Any ranges I've been to,private or not, that have mentioned anything about inquiring about stamps have always been a red flag for means I've never patronized them. None of their business. TAX stamps are between me and the gov.

Then again, I don't live in an area that has ranges with set lanes and a roof. If I don't like the range rules I load up my truck with steel, a few buddies and we shoot suppressed MGs and SBRs to our hearts content at another buddies range or in the woods.

UZI Talk Life Member

Your arguing semantics. The owner of a private range has every right to make sure that the full auto weapons are registered and in the possession of the owner. It's a registration and ownership check, not a tax question. Silly argument.

Life is full of challenges and obstacles and if you have to choose one to fight this one ain't it. 60 seconds to show a piece of paper and get on with it, or be 'that guy', have to leave and be mad all day. But it's your choice.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Legally, only BATFE can demand you to show your Tax Stamp. However, any LEO can arrest you for Illegal Possession if you don't prove your Stuff is legal. You are far better off to simply comply. As far as Ranges go, simply be courteous.

I've had my suppressor for probably 20 years. Right after I got it, I made several copies of it. Then I folded one and put itin a small plastic bag and put it in my wallet. I have never had to show it to anyone. I'm an RSO and know that most RSO's who ask folks for proof are not trying to be jerks. We have to follow a set of rules. If we are told that checking is part of the rules, we do it. It's no different than asking for you to show ID or sign in. Obey the rules or look for another range.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    Legally, only BATFE can demand you to show your Tax Stamp. However, any LEO can arrest you for Illegal Possession if you don't prove your Stuff is legal. You are far better off to simply comply. As far as Ranges go, simply be courteous.
    This ^^^^^^^. Or you can be some moron chest thumper, muh right to hide muh stamp and go into hiding with yore NFA stuff cuz no one will let you shoot where you could.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I was asked about the "legality" of my NFA items by a RSO at a county run range once. I think I had in my possession about 7-8 toys at the time. I just handed him the binder where I keep all copies of my stamps and a copy of my trust. He kind of thumbed through it for about 30 seconds with a bewildered look on his face, handed it back to me and said "thanks, shoot safely" or something like that.

I agree, he had no right to ask to see my tax documents, but he did have the right to ask me to leave. Not a hill worth dying on for me but JMHO.

UZI Talk Life Member

Alternatively, they could agree with you and say 'hmmm...well, we can't ask for proof they have BATF approval to possess this NFA item....and we can't expose ourselves to criminals shooting FA weapons or suppressors....so we have no choice to just ban all of them'.

I'd MUCH rather have a prudent business owner just ask to see may stamps, satisfy their desire to do the right thing and their need to mitigate liability so I can shoot.

Or that prudent business owner could just take a look at your device of it's a possible F1 then question it. If it's obviously a F4 device let it be. I'm betting there are zero illegal SilencerCo or Dead Air cans out there. Illegal SBRs, SBS, MGs, tons.

I still reserve the right to take my business elsewhere. Being nosey and a PITA to those in the 2A community only hurts the community. When I was an RSO I had a strict don't ask, don't tell policy. Of people were behaving themselves I couldn't care less if their stuff was illegal on accident or not. If they were being stupid I'd check up but never invade their legal rights. If I didn't have a good feeling I'd ask them to leave without challenging their tax documents. Their legal issues are none of my business. I have no right to be nosing into their affairs. They have no need at ever show me any proof of legal ownership of anything.

When I bring my toys out folks usually just want to know more about them, to shoot them and to know how to get one.

It's laughable to think you can distance yourself from "those" people. Also a very poor way to view others in this hobby. I'd bet you most of the old farts at a gun show have or have had illegal MGs, cans, SBRs, SBS, etc. Probably back in the pre-86 days. I know there are quite a few unpapered MGs in my area. You can hear them on weekends sometimes. Hell, half the fudds out there have probably accidentally built SBS or SBRs. It's not hard to do by accident if you are unfamiliar with NFA as most folks are. Used to be able to build a SBR for under $400 with PSA and an 80% receiver. Used to be as easy as accidentally shouldering a pistol brace.

Most ranges I've been to just basically ban all NFA except suppressors. Most of the patrons can't figure out what end the bullet leaves from anyways. As an RSO I was kept busy. A couple friends and I were able to get SBRs, SBS and cans OK'd at one of the public ranges that previously were anti all NFA. The guys that ran the range thought they were some sort of mystical something they are not. They ended up having a blast with our toys.

+ Reply to Thread