UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 11/15 for hog hunting?

UZI Talk Supporter

11/15 for hog hunting?

Anybody done any hog hunting with this upper?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Hogs are out of control and need to be scaled back with anything that reduces them.

UZI Talk Supporter
    In TN, you can't hunt with any Firearm capable of FA fire, you can't hunt with Buckshot, you can't hunt Big Game with .44 Rimfire, and you can't even possess any type of Night Vision equipment while in possession of a Firearm or Archery Equipment.
    However, it's perfectly legal to hunt with Big Game with a .25ACP, or a 155mm Howitzer!
    (Any Center-fire Cartridge is legal, no min, or max, size.)

Anyway, regarding Hogs, we had a few years where you could hunt them year-round, no limits, but apparently that was too much freedom, so now it's only landowners and their (up to 5) delegates who can do that.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    In TN, you can't hunt with any Firearm capable of FA fire, you can't hunt with Buckshot, you can't hunt Big Game with .44 Rimfire, and you can't even possess any type of Night Vision equipment while in possession of a Firearm or Archery Equipment.
    However, it's perfectly legal to hunt with Big Game with a .25ACP, or a 155mm Howitzer!
    (Any Center-fire Cartridge is legal, no min, or max, size.)

Anyway, regarding Hogs, we had a few years where you could hunt them year-round, no limits, but apparently that was too much freedom, so now it's only landowners and their (up to 5) delegates who can do that.
    How about semi auto with a thermal?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    How about semi auto with a thermal?
    Semi Auto is fine, but no "light gathering devices" (which I *think* would include Thermal/IR) with a gun/bow. That's why, IMHO, hunting with a Tank would be illegal, unless you remove the "Night Vision".

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Anybody done any hog hunting with this upper?
    How do you like the upper? I'm on the fence over buying one.

UZI Talk Life Member
    If you have the funds it is a game changer. If you are spending money that you can’t afford to spend, I would say be wise.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Sounds fun but in reality it’s the wrong tool for that job.
    Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    Sounds fun but in reality it’s the wrong tool for that job.
    Need to get that 12ga Upper running, loaded with Slugs, you'd be set for a herd of Hogs!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Probably even worse than the 11/15- hogs scatter and you’d have a longer re-acquisition with recoil plus the additional weight... it would be louder than a suppressed 11/15 and slower operation. A Mounted pair of 11/15s Suppressed with tracers would be fun.. mounted and mobile wouldn’t hurt either.
    Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

UZI Talk Life Member

In TX you can't use FA for hunting game animals, but hogs are not considered "game" animals so the rules do not apply. I know people who use M16s and MP5s for hogs. Last weekend a friend who is a game warden was showing me video of a hunt he did chasing hogs with a four-wheeler blasting hogs semiauto 12 gauge and full auto .223. I personally do not consider what they were doing humane, but it looked like a lot of fun. They literally shot 30 hogs in less than 10 minutes. But to your point, I have not used my M11/15 for hog hunting. I am more of a semi-auto suppressed with thermal sights kind of hog hunter. You can shoot a lot of hogs before they realize what is happening.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nklf View Post
    In TX you can't use FA for hunting game animals, but hogs are not considered "game" animals so the rules do not apply. I know people who use M16s and MP5s for hogs. Last weekend a friend who is a game warden was showing me video of a hunt he did chasing hogs with a four-wheeler blasting hogs semiauto 12 gauge and full auto .223. I personally do not consider what they were doing humane, but it looked like a lot of fun. They literally shot 30 hogs in less than 10 minutes. But to your point, I have not used my M11/15 for hog hunting. I am more of a semi-auto suppressed with thermal sights kind of hog hunter. You can shoot a lot of hogs before they realize what is happening.
    I'm probably the same as well. I have an AR-47 in 7.62x39 built out with a can for this purpose but right now I'm trying to find farmers in NC who want some hogs taken out of their fields. Probably try and really get it happening after deer season ends.

It will be tough and tight getting him into a phone booth, but you can try. LOL

+ Reply to Thread