UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Conversion to 9mm makarov?

UZI Talk Supporter

Conversion to 9mm makarov?

9mm Makarov aka 9.18 mak is much more reasonably priced than 9mm Luger, and it's about the same OAL as .380 so I am thinking it would work in Zmags. What would I have to do to shoot it?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Didn't the Reds design it so it could be fired in 9x19 chambers?

UZI Talk Supporter
    It's slightly bigger actually. 9mm use .355 or .356 caliber bullets, whereas the 9x18 Makarov utilizes a .363 Caliber bullet. The casing is shorter too.

UZI Talk Supporter
    380 case is 17mm, 9 Makarov is 18mm, 9 NATO is 19mm. As mentioned by Gaujo, the bullet dia for the Mak is larger. You'd need, at minimum, a new barrel, possibly have to modify the Bolt face and extractor, and cut a couple of coils from the recoil spring.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Can you locate a pile of 9 Mak to make it worth turning a barrel?

Stuff is kinda rare around here on the shelf in good times.
    It is possibly hanging out with unicorns and sasquatch right now,
    since I haven't seen any on the local shelves since June.

With all that said: let us know if it works. It probably will...

UZI Talk Life Member
    If anybody needs a RN, 5 cavity aluminum, Smooth side NOE die for a Mak, let me know. Selling it cheap. $80 shipped.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    If anybody needs a RN, 5 cavity aluminum, Smooth side NOE die for a Mak, let me know. Selling it cheap. $80 shipped.
    To bad it's smooth I don't pc or tumble pc coat.

Just old skewl lyman 450 converted to push through.

UZI Talk Life Member
    wasnt this more of a thing (with people doing it) some years ago when surplus ammo was plentiful and cheap?
    seems like there is "old" info probably still floating around from then.

I would like to do the same thing for the Mac-10. I have 3 9mm makarov pistols and nothing in 9x19 expect the Lage and AMP uppers. Maybe a magazine well for the UM10 that uses Polish PM63 Magazines. Is there any source for 9x18 ar barrels?

UZI Talk Supporter
    I haven't seen one. I shoot CZ-82

Hmmm. You may guy be onto something there.

On ammoseek I see 1000 of steel case 9mm Mak for $339. Wolf steel 9x19 is $499. So if you can source a barrel for $160, itís a wash for the first case of ammo. And then youíre saving $160/case thereafter until prices come back down.

As a reloader, I hate 9 Mak as itís really close to 9 Luger. Itís not a huge deal if you miss a Mak case when reloading and run it through a pistol. They generally feed and function just fine. But with an open bolt SMG, they will generally end up dead in the chamber with the bolt forward. Annoying when plinking, but it would really be a bummer in the middle of a match.

I wouldnít have a problem getting a Mac barre and only shooting steel cased ammo, if it came down to it. As it is, Iíve still got components and will continue to reload for a while. But I can see a number of people being interested in a barrel for an M11 or Uzi. I expect they should work with no change to the mag or bolt.
    Last edited by Garrett; 10-17-2020 at 08:42 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'd be in for one for a M10 just 'cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    9mm Makarov aka 9.18 mak is much more reasonably priced than 9mm Luger
    This is a temporary market condition caused by a huge spike in demand. In recent history (prior to COVID19 ANTIFA, BLM & Joe Biden) 9mm MAK has been more expensive than 9mm Luger. The market will correct it, most likely after the election. I wouldn't bother, but there's nothing wrong with doing it just for fun. The bolt face is the same as 9mm Luger, so all you should need is a new barrel and cross your finger that it cycles. This assumes you're currently setup to run 9mm Luger.

Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    Didn't the Reds design it so it could be fired in 9x19 chambers?
    No, as pointed out, it won't due to the larger diameter bullet. They designed it to be the most powerful cartridge they could have in a straight blowback fixed barrel pistol. They copied the case head from 9mm Luger, so they had to go with a larger diameter bullet due to the new straight blowback cartridge not needing to be tapered like a 9mm Luger cartridge. 9mm MAK is more powerful than 380ACP, but not as powerful as 9mm Luger.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Good info. Thanks for the clarification.

I pick one of those Mak cases from the range enough to make it a PITA for reloading 9x19. I avoid picking up Russian brass now because of it.

On a side note: I've shot .380 out of my 9mm mac pistol. The dimensions are close enough that I gave it a whirl to see what would happen. The results: It fed and functioned just fine. The brass cracked, but for my purposes, good enough.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Starvingboy View Post
    On a side note: I've shot .380 out of my 9mm mac pistol. The dimensions are close enough that I gave it a whirl to see what would happen. The results: It fed and functioned just fine. The brass cracked, but for my purposes, good enough.
    You are relying on the extractor for head space when you shoot 40 S&W out of a 10mm semi auto
    Same as 380 out of a semi 9mm the extractor keeps it far enough back to engage the FP.

As long as you don't ride over the extractor with the case rim the 40 and 380 will both work in the bigger brother.
    Kinda the same as shooting 38 out of 357 accept there the rims are the same for the primer to FP gap.

Read a ton about it when I 1st bought my 10mm delta elite most guys don't even get cracked cases but a few do like you mention. Most common is the extractor pushing the case to far forward and having a FTF or a tough time getting the unshot round back out due to being jammed in the chamber from the force of the slide/extractor.

Seemed a big enough pain that I've never tried it but read enough that I do believe it works as you also say so StarvingBoy.
    Same as if I were to shoot 40S&W out of my GP100 MC I would need to buy the thicker moon clips

+ Reply to Thread