UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M2 carbine disassembly help needed

UZI Talk Supporter

M2 carbine disassembly help needed

Hi folks

Iíve had an M2 carbine for a couple years now. Iíll Iíve done is clean the barrel, lubricate it and put a new main/recoil spring in it as it came from my dealer clean and running well after the spring. Iíve shot about 1500 reds through it and it felt a little sluggish so I figured Iíd take it all apart and give it a good cleaning.

Thing is, I cannot figure out how to remove the disconnector. The disconnector pin appears to hold the lower on the receiver, and pushing this pin out would allow the lower off but the rear of the disconnector runs through another M2 specific part which has a slotted bit the disconnector slides through, not sure of name.

What am I doing wrong here? I might be missing something stupid.
    Attached Images  
    "He who controls the spice controls the universe."

On the left side is the selector, with a spring. Pop the rear of the spring up and out and the selector slides off the shaft. It will then push out to the right, the bar is an on eccentric on the shaft and has to be wiggled just right to pop off.

UZI Talk Supporter
    It looks like your hammer pin is missing (see yellow circle).....thats not only what the hammer rotates on, but also the disconnector block. With that pin removed, the hammer and block have been pushed forward.....not good....you dont want to remove that pin till the trigger group is out, and the hammer spring and guide are removed.

You need to first remove the selector "9" spring, slide off the selector, then remove the trip lever....it's shaft is what holds the trigger housing on the receiver (see the red circle). With the hammer and disconnector block all jammed forward, getting the trip lever off is going to be tricky....

Last edited by Villafuego; 10-17-2020 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Villafuego View Post
    It looks like your hammer pin is missing (see yellow circle).....thats not only what the hammer rotates on, but also the disconnector block. With that pin removed, the hammer and block have been pushed forward.....not good....you dont want to remove that pin till the trigger group is out, and the hammer spring and guide are removed.

You need to first remove the selector "9" spring, slide off the selector, then remove the trip lever....it's shaft is what holds the trigger housing on the receiver (see the red circle). With the hammer and disconnector block all jammed forward, getting the trip lever off is going to be tricky....

Bingo! Give Villafuego a gold star. Taking that hammer pin out allowed the hammer and disconnector to move forward and jam it up. The M2 was my first MG, a lot of fun to shoot.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thanks everyone

It wouldn’t budge prior to me taking the hammer pin out, though that may have made things worse. I tried moving everything forward in order to free the disconnector from the part it is binding with. Maybe the disconnector pin is stuck. I’ll give it another shot

UZI Talk Supporter
    Got it. Had to manipulate the disconnector quite a bit. It’s the registered part so didn’t want to bend it.

Thanks again!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Easiest way I've found is with the selector removed, recoil spring removed, hammer down, and slide retracted just a teeny bit.....that gives you a little more room to wiggle the trip lever out of its slot it the disconnector block. Might want to make sure your disconnector plunger and spring didn't get funked up when the hammer pin got pulled....

UZI Talk Supporter
    I took it all apart, cleaned and lubricated and got it back together and it seems to be functioning. Might get to test fire tomorrow.
    Last edited by Open Bolts; 10-18-2020 at 12:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread