UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tool and broken weld?

Tool and broken weld?

Here's a mystery for paco and AGG.

Picture 32 for the tool - What is the rod under the multi tool? Is it a tool?

Edited - asked seller for pics of the tools. See pic 71 & 72.

Picture 64 for the broken/missing weld.

And the magazine looks a little different than normal. See the extra stampings side and base plate.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/881770373
    Last edited by dash; 10-18-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Tool= looks like a broken recoilrod

The welding on one side is not original to me. The otherside, the missing weld is normal
    Magazine, looks like a modern FNH mag to me. the originals had no markings and a steel follower.

Paco

That weld doesn’t look good

I messaged him and he firmly says that it's NIB but he isn't the original purchaser. His exact words to me were "Please view the photographs and judge the condition for yourself, so that way there is no question". With that said I do not believe he will be forthcoming on the weld being broken. In picture #66(the wear on bolt face) and #67 (the carbon build up isn't just factory test firing in my opinion) I would say it's been fired plenty and that would explain the "weld issue" as the importer surely wouldn't ship it out like this. Some unknowing buyer is going to get stung by a less than honest seller IMHO.

My question is: Is the rifle unsafe to fire with the weld shown in picture #64? I have a hunch it is.

The bolt, bolt carrier, and dust cover belie the statement that this is anywhere close to NIB. The guy selling it MAY not know, but don't let yourself be fooled. This gun has some wear.

Now as to the bolt carrier, that IS where the carrier welds crack. If the weld is repaired right, this is a solid rifle. I've seen alot of FNCs, some new unfired, several used. The Howco's that I have seen have different and thicker welds. The welds on this look like what I have seen in Steyr and GunSouth imports. It's possible someone has swapped carriers. I would buy this rifle, but not for a premium price.

I should have been more specific about that weld on the carrier. Paco is 100% correct about the left side. Only later, were the FNC's in Belgian service fully welded on the left. They never were pretty.

It does appear there was something on the right because of the distortion on the tube. Maybe it never touched the tube and came off in use. Maybe bubba used some silver solder?

I'll be saving lots of those pics for the library.
    Last edited by dash; 10-19-2020 at 07:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread