UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Suppressor Cover recommendations requested

UZI Talk Life Member
    You kinda need one for a MAC or such things that have fast threads and don't have a ratchet or other anti rotation system. Otherwise your can can unscrew while shooting. The silicone sleeve lets you hold a little torque on the can while shooting to keep it from rotating off.

I take a break when the gun and can start getting hot and shoot something else while it all cools down. This saves the can as well as the barrel. Bolt open and muzzle up lets things cool down a lot faster - the chimney effect.

UZI Talk Life Member

Interesting that the GSL manual states that while fully "serviceable", the Phoenix is not recommended for 'regular cleaning'. In sum, they recommend one blast chamber cleaning after ~1,000 rounds, then don't bother, as it should be '100,000-200,000 rounds before it needs another cleaning'.

Everyone has their own opinion on this but a) it is FA rated and b) is 2 frickin inches in diameter and 7.25" long. It's a big, relatively heavy can. And I'm pretty sure even with 1/2x28 threads I'm going to feel the urge to check that it is tight and GSL isn't warrantying my hands, they warranty the guts of the suppressor.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Unless you have some kind of "locking system" you want to check that the suppressor is still on tight after every magazine or two. A baffle strike really tears up the insides and can be quite dangerous in some cases.

You can use a sleeve or some kind of high temperature glove as Deerhurst suggests. It's really up to you but do check fit at least every two magazines. You don't need to torque the heck out of it, just nice and snug. 1/2-28 threads can be stripped fairly easily if you try to over torque them. Keep your threads clean as well. This will help reduce grinding from grit.

High temp or thick gloves are awesome. I run kevar lined gloves that have a thin leather covering. They keep hands warm when it's cold and keep hand cool when grabbing a hot can or hot gas block. I believe mine are Franklin brand and we're inexpensive.

Like skoda said, always check your direct thread devices. I've gone to ASR or KyMo for almost everything including the Mac. I'll either be threaded my OE mac barrel soon or making an adapter for it to my can.

+ Reply to Thread