UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why the run on ammo and not guns and mags?

UZI Talk Supporter

Why the run on ammo and not guns and mags?

Last panic, it was mags and ar-15s that could not be found. Ammo was scarce too, but I don't remember it being this bad.

Do you think everybody just has their mags this time?

People reluctant to invest extra $$$ if high capacity mags are just going to end up banned or NFA items.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Lot of first time fraidy cat owners preparing for something thatís never going to happen. Buying guns and lots of ammo but most of them donít think to buy a pile of mags. Itíll be one of the thoughts flicker through their minds as ANTIFA ZOMBIES overrun them

ďI shoulda bought more CLIPS!Ē

Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

Last time most manufacturers, anticipating a Hillary win, were cranking out everything as fast as they could and when the Donald won saw their huge stockpiles and manufacturing capacity suddenly reduced in value and idled as demand fell into the basement. Thus we had the year or two of rock bottom prices for everything AR15 and other stuff as the manufacturers sold off their inventory and we enjoyed bargains not seen for decades. I would hope everyone in the "gun culture" remembered history and stocked up while the prices were low and everything was available, which meant when prices started to climb again they already "had theirs" and saw no need to keep on buying during the new crisis.

However, with the Covid lockdowns and civil unrest in the cities, a lot of people (on both sides) NOT in the "gun culture" suddenly decided hey, maybe it's not being a paranoid whackjob to have a couple guns in the house after all. So they go to their local gunshop, and not knowing 3 months earlier that same $900 PSA carbine was $520, they buy 3 and a few magazines. And some ammo, some buying a few cases others enough to fill their 3 magazines and maybe an "extra" 40 rds for "emergencies". And of course you have the odd deal that still pops up or the previous stockpilers looked at their gunsafe and saw an empty spot, so they bought a few too.

All this to say the manufacturers were ramping up production again, but could still meet demand for the most part in guns and accessories like mags. Ammo makers, not so much as they require a large lead time and major $$$ to expand due to the specialized custom built machines needed. After just coming off a 2 year slump where prices were low they were afraid they would get their shiny new ammo lines up and running just about the time the Donald was well into his second term and they were back to selling 9mm FMJ at 12 cents a round after backing down to 1 shift. So no expansion, just 24/7 operation.

And Donald Trump was well on his way to a landslide victory and a second term. With that the left suddenly got worried and mad, and started arming up like never before. Trigglypuff put away her H&R single shot .410 that she was inexperienced enough to think constituted "real firepower", and went out and bought a couple ARs and a Glock, and started stockpiling ammo for when she would have to "take out the fascists" that threatened the "freedom" to use any damn restroom "it" wanted and to demand to be called "they" or have you arrested for daring to assume it's gender in public. The other side saw what was going on and decided maybe that floor to ceiling stack of ammo crates filling up the guest room is not quite enough, what could 20 more crates hurt? Even the folks who had a deer rifle and a half box of ammo on hand were going out and buying more when they saw what was happening.

Thus the shortage of ammo because the few makers cannot keep up, primers seem to be the bottleneck as currently with Remington out of the picture due to the bankruptcy sale, there are only 3 US primer makers supplying the entire industry. And when things are in short supply, even those with 3 years worth of TP are compelled to grab "just a few more" if any shows up. Making it even worse. With a real possibility of a Harris presidency, any ammo maker would have to be insane to invest in a business that might be severely regulated soon.

The lack of ammo along with the huge amount of firearms already in circulation has kept demand at least somewhat in pace with supply for guns and accessories, so far. High prices aren't conducive to "adding to the stack" either, although there still appear to be plenty of the first time buyers lining up to get a gun causing local shortages. That's starting to change though, with the election apparently going Biden's way a lot more folks I know who are "gun people" are now looking to get "just a few more things" while they can!

Their is a run on firearms and magazines.
    There are supply issues all through our industry, from finished parts, castings, forgings to raw materials.
    Vista Outdoors has a BILLION $ worth of ammo on back order.
    Manufacturers and distributors have about 1 years worth of production backorder.
    I have barrels I ordered months ago that won't be delivered til April or later, because they are focusing production on OEM products to supply firearm manufacturers.
    The "Freedom Group" also ran DPMS and Bushmaster, and supplied parts to other firms in the industry.
    I have gotten calls from companies seeking some new made small part because they cannot deliver a shipment of firearms due to the lack of that one piece.
    APEX has warehouses full of product on pallets and in boxes, most firms don't have much inventory on hand and expect "Just in time" delivery.
    You should watch the Warehouse 5 video!
    https://youtu.be/UUZqiCdMOTU

Richard

UZI Talk Life Member
    Way freakin' too close to the city....especially now!
    Neat video Richard. Thanks for linking it to us!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Way freakin' too close to the city....especially now!
    Darn......and I was thinking of listing some of my excess 9mm UZI and .223 AR/Tavor mags. Have a lot sitting and I can only use so many and have many other non- gun related projects!

APEX has a really good supply of UZI magazines, purchased few years ago when we bought out a former importer.
    UZI parts, a bit short at the moment but we have a shipment in bound due on our loading dock in the next few weeks.

Richard

UZI Talk Supporter
    Yup lots of 1st time buyers and the left arming up.

They think the two mags that come with the gun is enough. LULZ

There is even a article that the right has all the guns!

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38297345

And this one is super funny she' looking for 9mm at Wal-Mart again LULZ

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-...-idUSKBN2701HP

AND here is a bit of info for the left.

Not only do we have the guns & ammo we have the gear & training with most shooting more rounds in a year then the left will shoot in a lifetime.

Jokes on them.

Quote Originally Posted by APEXgunparts View Post
    APEX has a really good supply of UZI magazines, purchased few years ago when we bought out a former importer.
    UZI parts, a bit short at the moment but we have a shipment in bound due on our loading dock in the next few weeks.

Richard
    I picked up 20 Suomi mags from yous guys the other week. They were listed as VG but looked EXC to NOS! I bought them for a S&W76 that I have coming in state and will mod them as neatly as possible. Probably cold blue when finished. LOL

UZI Talk Supporter
    Their is a run on firearms and magazines.
    There are supply issues all through our industry, from finished parts, castings, forgings to raw materials.
    Vista Outdoors has a BILLION $ worth of ammo on back order.
    Manufacturers and distributors have about 1 years worth of production backorder.
    I have barrels I ordered months ago that won't be delivered til April or later, because they are focusing production on OEM products to supply firearm manufacturers.
    The "Freedom Group" also ran DPMS and Bushmaster, and supplied parts to other firms in the industry.
    I have gotten calls from companies seeking some new made small part because they cannot deliver a shipment of firearms due to the lack of that one piece.
    APEX has warehouses full of product on pallets and in boxes, most firms don't have much inventory on hand and expect "Just in time" delivery.
    You should watch the Warehouse 5 video!
    https://youtu.be/UUZqiCdMOTU

Richard
    Richard, I want to buy some long term reliable AK mags. Of your inventory what do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Richard, I want to buy some long term reliable AK mags. Of your inventory what do you recommend?
    That is a tough question!
    My usual response is to buy what you like that is in your price range.
    APEX has a good selection of new and surplus AK magazines.
    The new polyamide Serbian AK magazines are selling really well.
    We have 2 YouTube video's up, in this one we test them:
    https://youtu.be/56okR1KlrYg

These same test magazines went out with us for the "Red Oktober" training session, and were used in a variety of guns (then the competition was cancelled)
    Then went again to a weekend of shooting at the NRA Wittington Center, and were passed around between shooters.
    I think they are a nice balance of quality, reliability and price.

Richard

UZI Talk Supporter
    Like mentioned APEX stuff has been good for me and treated me well over the years.
    And had real good customer service.

I miss the old WG discount but nothing last forever and it was a favor to loyal builders that was very nice.

My only complaint with APEX is they can't seem to keep stuff in stock. It's always been like that and has nothing to do with any panic.

That should tell you volumes.

If they have something you want /need in stock it's wise to get it. Their inventory doesn't last long.

Right now mags seem to be everywhere and at good prices.
    No one has any ammo to put in them so why would a new clueless owner buy more then what comes with the gun?
    They think the two are G2G not understanding they were always ment to pretty much be disposable.
    Besides why spend 100 bux on 10 or 12 pieces of plastic or metal when it came with two free?
    You can always buy more at 10 bux if you loose one or it fails right?

Richard
    Any Uzi kits?

Quote Originally Posted by Fwp9mm View Post
    Any Uzi kits?
    Yes, according to what I read on the inventory list their is one.
    Everything else is surplus parts and semi-auto parts, to include bolts.

Richard

UZI Talk Life Member

My personal experience when chatting with new buyers is that they are too young to have experienced the 1994 'Crime Bill' and all the madness that occurred as a result. I try to explain the "Crime Bill" and that 'pre-internet there was this publication called The Shotgun News and folks were selling formerly $7 aluminum USGI 30-rd AR15 mag for $80-$100 EACH....' and the look at me like I'm a crazy man.

So it's not in their experience base that all these 10+ rd mags could not be plentiful.

Disclaimer: probably Californians, Coloradoans and residents of Illinois and Massachusetts are not so naive.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Some of the prices are crazy! I was in a place yesterday that wanted $41.95 for a box of Wolf 9mm!
    I’ve been picking up some as we’ve been traveling and have a couple of backorders coming.

Worst I saw was $85/50 9mm reloads here in town.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
    Worst I saw was $85/50 9mm reloads here in town.

For reloads? No way. Reminds me of this

Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Here is a pre 1994 AWB G17 magazine I still have in the blister pack.
    I had ordered 4 of them before the ban was to take affect.

At one point in time this was 115.00 to 145.00 depending on what gunshow you went to.

It now hangs on the wall above my dillion as a reminder of what was, and what is yet to come.

Thanks to the 1994 OMNIBUS crime bill I've never been mag poor again.

I think the best time during the 10 years of having my rights trampled besides the ROOT SHOOTS where admission was a box of what ever ammo ya had, was I had sold a old harley to a retired army paratrooper that had just moved to the area.
    I had to ride the bike over to his house in the dead of winter and down the basement steps.

Once there in the basement he had all his gear tossed all over the floor with about two dozen or so USGI undated magazines.
    Picked one up and was thinking to myself this dude has like 1200.00 in mags here if he plays his cards right.

He looks at me a says those are for a M16 I was ya I know I have a AR15. Right out of nowhere he said ya want 'em?
    I about passed out and asked all of them? He said sure, I'm retired and don't need them they will just go in the trash once I sort my gear.

I had to get a box from his wife, no dates all with good finish and in excellent shape.
    I went from 7 mags for 3 AR15's to filthy rich in one day and all I had to do was ride a rat bike down the road 6 miles and down a set of basement steps.

+ Reply to Thread