UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Mac 10 owner! (9mm Police Model)

UZI Talk Supporter
    I use my old skewl 2 stage for the FG

I'm also a lefty so I naturally crank it tight when holding it.

If your a right handed shooter be careful not to spin the can loose. And cha k the can often since they have a habit of working loose due to the large threads

Sam at practical solutions makes a kick ass flip grip for the front but it can't be used while the OEM can is on it.

Don't bother getting a old Sonics recored. Look and search under the suppressor forum there are a lot of us that agree it's the quietest can cor the mac 10.

I can't find the link but it's around with a search.

The OEM cans now command a premium price the 300 dollar NIB cans are a thing of the past. (Paid that for mine around 2010)
    Your viper at least has the look at a better price point and is new.

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    I use my old skewl 2 stage for the FG

I'm also a lefty so I naturally crank it tight when holding it.

If your a right handed shooter be careful not to spin the can loose. And cha k the can often since they have a habit of working loose due to the large threads

Sam at practical solutions makes a kick ass flip grip for the front but it can't be used while the OEM can is on it.

Don't bother getting a old Sonics recored. Look and search under the suppressor forum there are a lot of us that agree it's the quietest can cor the mac 10.

I can't find the link but it's around with a search.

The OEM cans now command a premium price the 300 dollar NIB cans are a thing of the past. (Paid that for mine around 2010)
    Your viper at least has the look at a better price point and is new.
    Yes!! I will try to remember to crank the suppressor for good luck before I reload it. I hear things come loose on these guns very fast!!

Very nice! You could always get spares of everything other than the receiver and keep all the other parts un-fired. Not that expensive to do so. Even if you go straight for a Lage upper.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I thought it was bebop. My name is from bebop. It's an insult Faye calls Spike.

Quote Originally Posted by techspy View Post
    Very nice! You could always get spares of everything other than the receiver and keep all the other parts un-fired. Not that expensive to do so. Even if you go straight for a Lage upper.
    I am looking at a Lage upper. I am thinking just like you are. Maybe I should just try firing it first.

These guns are not cheap, but it's hard to believe you don't pay much more for a perfect specimen. You will rarely find one (in any condition) below $7800.00. Yet, a perfect gun will run just under $10,000. That's a little more than a 20% premium. (in most cases, all values are relative)
    Prices have soared in just 5 years on these guns. My associate purchased a brand new Powder Springs .45 in the box 7 years ago for less than $5000.00. They have nearly doubled in price.

UZI Talk Life Member
    That one is pretty I have a few old police pieces, including a gas gun inscribed with the correctional facility name. Donít just shoot it- Shoot the hell out if it!
    Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by tollytime View Post
    I am ashamed to ask people if I should shoot it? It's 50 years old! Even the buffer pad is perfect. I am stuck staring at it!

Thanks for the welcome!
    If you ask many people this question, you will get many different answers.

I personally wouldn't own a gun that I wouldn't shoot. Especially something that costs as much as a used car.

Damn right I'd shoot it. Then again, I'm a shooter, not an investor.

If you bought it as an investment, you and I probably have very little in common. But different strokes.

I am very glad you just asked that question!! My gun does not have a torsion spring. It has a spring loaded pin coming from the rear of the trigger. I cannot not find my trigger setup in any pictures or diagrams. No parts are offered as replacement either. I will have to make this a separate thread discussion. Maybe it's an early design?
    I really like the blued finish. Very interesting trigger group. I haven't seen one like it. Attached is a pic of the typical trigger group for comparison.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by timkel View Post
    I really like the blued finish. Very interesting trigger group. I haven't seen one like it. Attached is a pic of the typical trigger group for comparison.
    This is a drawing from the "Mac Man" book. This is my trigger spring. Your gun looks brand new!!
    Attached Images  

I am ashamed to ask people if I should shoot it? It's 50 years old! Even the buffer pad is perfect. I am stuck staring at it!

Thanks for the welcome!
    If you donít shoot it your brother will inherit it and he will. So as not to repeat the error of the brother. Ask me how I know.

Beautiful gun bud. I’ve always liked the look of the police model guns. I think the bluing looks much better on these then the normal park. I’d definitely shoot that myself, but definitely wouldn’t abuse it, nor would I make any irreversible modifications like an Uzi magwell or a TASK hole, because it’s definitely a collector’s piece. Any which way you wanna look at it, it’s a great find. Idk if ive ever seen one that clean, even compared to other NIB guns. Welcome to the party!!

Quote Originally Posted by challenger70rt View Post
    Beautiful gun bud. Iíve always liked the look of the police model guns. I think the bluing looks much better on these then the normal park. Iíd definitely shoot that myself, but definitely wouldnít abuse it, nor would I make any irreversible modifications like an Uzi magwell or a TASK hole, because itís definitely a collectorís piece. Any which way you wanna look at it, itís a great find. Idk if ive ever seen one that clean, even compared to other NIB guns. Welcome to the party!!
    I agree 100% with this post. Donít make and stupid modifications to the gun and donít put tabs on the front takedown pin hole. Keep that gun original. Look for a two stage can for it.

Really nice stick you got. If only it was 45 but with that rare gun, who cares.

Task holes and uzi magwells are 100% reversible. Just a little more difficult to reverse than most people are willing to work with but by no means impossible.

At the same time, I wouldn't do either for really any reason even though my M10 is TASK'd.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I wouldn't do any mods that required a reblue so that's no drilling or welding.

No front tabs, no task hole, no mag conversions.

My gun is parkerized so it's a easy fix right in my own shop with a new finish.
    It was sent out to Sam @ practical solutions around 08 for tabs and a once over and hasn't needed anything but ammo since.

With your nice blue less common finish even with expensive walther 9mm mags it will probably always command a higher price.
    Unless you let the blueing get worn or that speckle rust common to blued guns.

UZI Talk Life Member

So you paid extra for a rare collectable. Wouldn't it suck to have an OOB and have the gun damaged? The first post was not clear whether or not this was your first machinegun. Since you do have another M10, I'm not really sure why you would risk that investment. I would probably run a mag or two through it, but then put it away.

Personally I think that we have an obligation of stewardship of the rarer historical peices. My wife's grandmother gave me a 7mm Johnston Rifle her husband bought back in the 70's. They were originally made during WW II. There were 1,000 made for the Chilean government in 7mm Mauser. Most of the other 23,000 rifles were in .3006 and sold to the US Government. I have shot it twice. I keep it because of the family connection. I probably would not have purchased such a rare M10 as I am a shooter more than a collector.

Hopefully with the Tenko, Lage, Ultimac, and other accessories the Mac style of RR machineguns will become more versatile and with that, market values will increase. Ultimately, it is your gun. Do with it what you want. Again congratulations on the transfer of such a rare variant of M10.

Scott

UZI Talk Supporter
    I've had several OOB in both 45 ago OEM uppers and my lage M 10/31 hurt the brass never the gun.
    These occurs pretty close to my face since I'm a lefty.

Wouldn't worry about KB'n the gun but eye protection is a must.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    I've had several OOB in both 45 ago OEM uppers and my lage M 10/31 hurt the brass never the gun.
    These occurs pretty close to my face since I'm a lefty.

Wouldn't worry about KB'n the gun but eye protection is a must.
    That is true, but it is possible. Wasn't it the "colt collector" that had an OOB that bent the receiver and popped some welds? There was such a thread within the last year.

I bought a rifle from a collector. His major focus was Civil War firearms. His most valuable peice was a cap and ball pistol that was carried by Major "so and so" in these specific battles. At the time, 18 years ago, the pistol had a market value of $30,000.00. I asked him if he ever shot it. He said no, nor had the previous owner. These are extreme examples. If I noticed a bundle of one hundred $20 dollar bills I would pick it up carefully and put it away. I would not kick the bundle to see how tough the strap was.

Is a catastrophic failure likely? No, I don't think so. I am sure if I wanted the blued finish I could send one of my parked M10s somewhere and have it refinished. Would that change how it shoots? I doubt it. I have no doubt that the firearms in my collection are going to outlive me. Someday someone that was not alive when my guns were made will own them. This example of a Police model is very rare. Even more rare because of the condition. Again congratulations on the transfer. If it were mine, I would feel some obligation of stewardship because it is a rare condition, rare model. But that is how I feel.

Scott

This is my only Mac-10 (so far). I have decided to shoot it, but I will most definitely keep it in it's original configuration.

This is a drawing from the "Mac Man" book. This is my trigger spring. Your gun looks brand new!!
    That trigger group is also referenced in an early M10 manual.

+ Reply to Thread