UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ? for Max-11/15 Reloaders

UZI Talk Life Member

? for Max-11/15 Reloaders

For those of you who are reloading for Max-11/15 open bolt rifle cartridges, is there any difference in the condition of fired cases from an open bolt and closed bolt system?

On MACs, the fired cases can have 360 degree Glock bulge. Are rifle cases the same from an OB system?

Thanks.

UZI Talk Supporter
    While I don’t reload, I don’t think that would happen as the firing pin doesn’t protrude until the bolt lugs are closed. So it’s not a slam fire, like an open bolt Mac.

UZI Talk Supporter

I don't see any differences in the brass.

UZI Talk Life Member
    My guess is there would not be because of the locked bolt, but there is no substitute for experience. Thanks.

UZI Talk Life Member

Why would there be a difference? The Max-11/15 uses the same bolt and barrel as an AR. The only difference is the function of the firing pin, but it is the same firing pin.

Scott

ETA I have shot a friend's Max-11/15. We didn't notice any difference in the brass compared to the closed bolt system.

Yeah... what they said. I reload and run a 5.56 Mac upper (and now a 7.62x39 Mac upper��), there won’t be any case bulging. It’s a radial delayed lockup whether it’s run as an open bolt or a closed bolt in an m16, the only way it could bulge brass is if your chamber was out of spec or something.

Whether or not the brass fired in a Lage M11/15 upper will need “special” attention will be directly reflective of how the barrels were chambered.

Military open bolt “rifle” caliber machine guns have chambers that are run on the “generous” end of the acceptable range to ensure feed and function when the weapon is dirty.

Brass fired in these chambers will be quite a bit larger than brass fired in a “rifle”chamber.

That is why some people who sell once fired military rifle brass will distinguish between “rifle” fired brass and “Machine-gun” fired brass as the machinegun fired brass can be extremely difficult to resize reference being fired in a chamber at the upper end of spec.

As an example of how oversized brass can be when fired in a military open bolt rifle caliber machinegun; while on active duty I picked up 500 rounds of freshly fired Canadian IVI 7.62X51 brass off a military range that I was providing RSO duties for when the Canucks were training aboard our ranges.

The brass was fired in an M240G and it took so much effort to resize that the handle broke on my 40 year old Lyman press.

I ended up having to size the brass in stages.

If the Lage chambers are cut to a traditional rifle spec then there shouldn’t be any issue resizing them.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    Whether or not the brass fired in a Lage M11/15 upper will need “special” attention will be directly reflective of how the barrels were chambered.

Military open bolt “rifle” caliber machine guns have chambers that are run on the “generous” end of the acceptable range to ensure feed and function when the weapon is dirty.

Brass fired in these chambers will be quite a bit larger than brass fired in a “rifle”chamber.

That is why some people who sell once fired military rifle brass will distinguish between “rifle” fired brass and “Machine-gun” fired brass as the machinegun fired brass can be extremely difficult to resize reference being fired in a chamber at the upper end of spec.

As an example of how oversized brass can be when fired in a military open bolt rifle caliber machinegun; while on active duty I picked up 500 rounds of freshly fired Canadian IVI 7.62X51 brass off a military range that I was providing RSO duties for when the Canucks were training aboard our ranges.

The brass was fired in an M240G and it took so much effort to resize that the handle broke on my 40 year old Lyman press.

I ended up having to size the brass in stages.

If the Lage chambers are cut to a traditional rifle spec then there shouldn’t be any issue resizing them.
    To be clear, the Max-11/15 is based on AR-15 barrel bolt/carrier groups not that of a belt fed machineguns. While I don't doubt that a belt fed machinegun barrel would be chambered differently than a rifle, the Max-11/15 is based on rifle parts.

Scott

Resizing and reloading brass from a MAX-11/15 is no different than brass from any AR. I did have two case head separations in about 1,000 total rounds. Range brass so not totally unexpected. I'm running a brass catcher now and it's a whole lot easier to keep track of things.

55fmj and 25.0gr of H335 runs just fine. Kaw valley linear comp does a good job directing the blast and the fireball forward.

+ Reply to Thread