UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 37mm?

  1. #1
    Registered User Deerhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    184

    37mm?

    I just got my hands on a 37mm launcher and a bunch of stuff for it for a good deal. I have no idea what I plan to do with it but I didnt have one so....

    As excited as I am to load for it Id like to maintain my ability to count to 10.

    Its not a DD so no anti personnel loads.

    Any of you folks run 37mm launchers? Where do you get components for loading? Where do you find load data? Any load data you want to share?

    Any recommended things to have with it?

  2. #2
    Registered User theduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NWOregun
    Posts
    457
    there was a dude over @ 1919a4.com that had reloading kits or whatever.
    Recall reading about them but never got into it.
    Sorry but thats all I recall ..been a couple years at least...He did have a website iirc

  3. #3
    Registered User Deerhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    there was a dude over @ 1919a4.com that had reloading kits or whatever.
    Recall reading about them but never got into it.
    Sorry but thats all I recall ..been a couple years at least...He did have a website iirc
    I'll check out 1919a4. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    There's a ton of stuff online, but I don't have any first-hand experience with any of it.
    Good luck!
    I can find supplies pretty easy but little to no actual load data so far. I'm hoping I can find folks that make their own loads like flower loads and CS loads. I've got some load kits from exotic ammo that came with it but I'm clueless beyond that.

    I'll probably be 3D printing shot cups and such too.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    569
    "Mr 37mm" offers free load data, last item at the bottom.

    http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com...Reloading.html


    **Email us at shipping@americanspecialtyammo.com for digital copy of 37mm load data if you are not placing an order. **

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    96
    I own several Federal Riot Guns, two Tru Flite 37mm Super Long Range Gas Guns, and a british Webley-Schermuly Multi-Purpose Gun like the v-10 blaster on star wars. I reload and usually shoot them about 500 times a month.

    You can use just the #209 shotgun primer and it will launch most projects a good distance. Maybe 75 yards with the right primer. The hottest 209 primers are under $0.03 per primer usually, which means that the 37mm is cheaper to shoot than a .22lr if you can recover the nose cone of the flare.

    Buy the aluminum hulls, that hull adds extra strength against a kaboom. Don’t want to be like this guy. https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/04/...cher-explodes/

    Did I mention how easy it is to reload. Pop the old primer out, put the nose cone in by hand, put the new primer in. I have reloaded the same casing 5 times in 54 seconds.
    Last edited by thelastdinosaurs.com; 11-21-2020 at 10:53 AM.

  6. #6
    UZI Talk Life Member
    kanewtervalve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,005
    I had one with an adapter for 26.5 flares, I had to sell a lot of stuff from a messy divorce but I still have the flares. You can always buy an adapter and I believe
    Dan's sporting goods still has 26.5 flares in stock, you can buy them online.

  7. #7
    Registered User Deerhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdinosaurs.com View Post
    I own several Federal Riot Guns, two Tru Flite 37mm Super Long Range Gas Guns, and a british Webley-Schermuly Multi-Purpose Gun like the v-10 blaster on star wars. I reload and usually shoot them about 500 times a month.

    You can use just the #209 shotgun primer and it will launch most projects a good distance. Maybe 75 yards with the right primer. The hottest 209 primers are under $0.03 per primer usually, which means that the 37mm is cheaper to shoot than a .22lr if you can recover the nose cone of the flare.

    Buy the aluminum hulls, that hull adds extra strength against a kaboom. Don’t want to be like this guy. https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/04/...cher-explodes/

    Did I mention how easy it is to reload. Pop the old primer out, put the nose cone in by hand, put the new primer in. I have reloaded the same casing 5 times in 54 seconds.
    I've got a few of the aluminum hulls including one that is something like 4" tall. A couple are loaded and ready to go from the previous owner. Unfortunately he is dead so I can't ask him anything. He died of old age.

    What types of projectiles are you sending with just a primer? I was under the impression I would need a lift charge of FFFg. I figured it would be pretty cheap if I 3D printed projectiles and lift cups.

  8. #8
    Registered User Deerhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    "Mr 37mm" offers free load data, last item at the bottom.

    http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com...Reloading.html


    **Email us at shipping@americanspecialtyammo.com for digital copy of 37mm load data if you are not placing an order. **
    I sent them.an email a few days ago. Havnt heard back yet.

  9. #9
    UZI Talk Supporter
    sniperdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,833
    Fwiw, I'm seeing some Cartridges that use .38 S&W blanks as the launching charge.
    Apparently that company sends the Cartridges and Blanks separately, you have to push the Blank into a hole in the base.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
    I've got a few of the aluminum hulls including one that is something like 4" tall. A couple are loaded and ready to go from the previous owner. Unfortunately he is dead so I can't ask him anything. He died of old age.

    What types of projectiles are you sending with just a primer? I was under the impression I would need a lift charge of FFFg. I figured it would be pretty cheap if I 3D printed projectiles and lift cups.
    I have only ever launched handmade flares. I start with scentos party bubbles from walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scented-B...ount/168338346 They are in stock in the party favor section at walmart most of the time $1.97 for a 6 pack. I dump the bubbles and fill the bottles with candle wax. Then I put a small blinker light in the front. Mine are not DD’s, and I shoot in view of the road, so I never shoot anything other than homemade signal rounds.

    I never used powder after the first outing. If I use powder it sounds a lot like a 410 shotgun and I usually wouldn’t find projectiles afterwards. With just the primer it makes the Bloop sound like in the movies, doesn’t recoil much an will go about 60 to 80 yards. They aren’t the most aerodynamic rounds in the world. But they are plenty accurate and durable as long as you don’t shoot things or the ground at close range.

    Just be sure to use the hulls that take 209 primers and use the hottest primer you can find. And don’t use a screwdriver to extract the primer, I accidentally put a Phillips head through my hand in January.

    These are the hulls I use https://www.exoticammo.com/3-and-5-3...ls-_p_136.html The 3” version. I have one with several thousand loads and I looks almost new.
    Last edited by thelastdinosaurs.com; 11-21-2020 at 07:45 PM.

  11. #11
    UZI Talk Life Member
    rybread's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    U.S. F'N A
    Posts
    2,886
    Some of the four inch aluminum casings can be for wood batons or bean bags my FFL gave me a bunch of spent law enforcement rounds but never bothered to reload them. I have one of the federal gas guns and a modern one I coated in leaf green and put wood furniture on it. Always a crowd pleaser on July 4th and block parties- civilians don’t know the difference so I let them shoot it, they think they’re grenade launchers. Let us know how the loading goes & post some videos!
    Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

  12. #12
    Registered User Deerhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    184
    I'm working on the car and truck this weekend but maybe after the sun goes down I'll load a couple bird bangers and see what happens. If anyone wants to do a PCV on an Audi I'll let you have fun! I've been bleeding all over the place. Next up is an oil change and shock replacement on the truck. Those 34 year old shocks should be fun to work with.


    Looks like the previous owner may have started prepping for smoke bombs. I've got a tub with something in it. Looks pinkish and speckled with what might be stump remover mixed in. There is a container of stump remover with it too. The tube is pretty fouled so it's been shot a bunch. Got 2 loaded shells he never got to shoot as well as about 10 built up somethings vacuum packaged. My girlfriend's dad, the FFL handling the estate stuff, cut one open and he said it just had powder inside so probably a bird bomb.

    Thankfully the last guy was OCD. I have all of the documents for the kits he put in the tub as well as his TV schedule and shopping list for supplies.


    What's the legality of using a 3D printed projectile? I assume it's the same as using a payload cup, don't shoot people and it's not an anti personnel round. Little 3D printed projectiles full of flower could be fun!


    Any recommendations on a chassis? Mien already has a rail on the top so all I'd need is a grip/stock adapter.

  13. #13
    Registered User Deerhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    Some of the four inch aluminum casings can be for wood batons or bean bags my FFL gave me a bunch of spent law enforcement rounds but never bothered to reload them. I have one of the federal gas guns and a modern one I coated in leaf green and put wood furniture on it. Always a crowd pleaser on July 4th and block parties- civilians don’t know the difference so I let them shoot it, they think they’re grenade launchers. Let us know how the loading goes & post some videos!
    The 4" is a machined aluminum cup with no markings. Looks identical to the smaller ones down to the tool marks.

    I'm part of the Pyros down here. We do the fireworks show. If I put it in a chassis I might shoot off fireworks with it when we play around before the show. We love bird bombs and were making black powder bird bomb mortors last year. FYI, they kinda hurt if you put like 1/4lb of black powder in a tube and fire it by hand. We then started that show with 30,000 black cats as we did the opening. Hopefully ghost gas next year!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter.