UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M49/57 cheap parts kits

M49/57 cheap parts kits

Hey all! This is my first post so bare with me ☺️

I've recently been diving down the parts kit rabbit hole and buying something almost every paycheck. I've got a handful of the PPS43s, a pps 43/52, a M31 Suomi and I'm thinking about getting a M49/57 sub gun parts kit. Mr Bob Bowman has been my best friend lately haha.

As some may not know, the m49/57 is the yugoslavian version of the Russian PPSh. The mags themselves are actually interchangeable, including the 71 round drum

The only thing with this kit is the barrel gets torched as part of the demill process. I haven't seen any website that readily has new barrels for sale... Any tips or if anybody has owned one of these before, let me know of how their build went! Originally it shot 762 torkarev which I'd want to switch it to something cheaper like 9mm anyway... All my other recent buys have been 9mm so why not.

UZI Talk Supporter
    KP products might have a barrel for the ppsh in 9mm
    You'd have to find them on GB just look for their pps43 stuff.

My pps43 pistol is in the 7.62x25 but i reload.
    I always try to keep them in original cal. when possible.

I take it you can't get to a lathe to turn out a GM blank and use the for torched original as a pattern ?
    It's what most do and why bowman includes the barrel chunks.

ETA: also shoot Robert bowman a email sometimes he has US made barrels or barrels that you have to sign a sporting clause form for.
    Not always but if he has enough kits he will get a run of barrels done.

Yeah, what I feel that I'm going to end up doing is getting in a blank and turning it myself and fabricating the lugs on the end of the barrel myself. The M49/57 barrel differs from the PPSh in that it has lugs and is designed to be changed quickly where the PPSh is pressed and pinned so that's unfortunately a no-go. I have minimal experience on a lathe but I'd say this is a great reason to get some experience!

I had to search high and low for barrel blanks lemme tell ya! After inquiring at about the first 20 barrel mfgs I contacted, FINALLY McGowen barrels got back to me on (2) 1.25" OD 14" long blanks for $92 ea+shipping. Oi

UZI Talk Supporter
    Green Mountain barrel is a blank turners/ builders best friend.

Haven't bought a blank in a while but i remeber them having sales all the time.

ETA: seems GM is about out of everything.

Maybe contact them and see when the next run is coming up for sale.
    Last edited by root; 12-10-2020 at 11:40 AM.

yep, I looked on their website and they're out of almost everything. I've resorted to not looking on blank MFGs sites to see what they have and just email them. MOST MFGs have gotten back to me and said that ANY order that's placed now will likely get completed in *6 - 7 MONTHS* crazy! One barrel blank MFG called me and asked what im looking for and said that for 10 blanks, theyd want $425 EACH and it'd arrive at my front door some time in June. lol... bananas, man

+ Reply to Thread