UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M49/57 cheap parts kits

M49/57 cheap parts kits

Hey all! This is my first post so bare with me ☺️

I've recently been diving down the parts kit rabbit hole and buying something almost every paycheck. I've got a handful of the PPS43s, a pps 43/52, a M31 Suomi and I'm thinking about getting a M49/57 sub gun parts kit. Mr Bob Bowman has been my best friend lately haha.

As some may not know, the m49/57 is the yugoslavian version of the Russian PPSh. The mags themselves are actually interchangeable, including the 71 round drum

The only thing with this kit is the barrel gets torched as part of the demill process. I haven't seen any website that readily has new barrels for sale... Any tips or if anybody has owned one of these before, let me know of how their build went! Originally it shot 762 torkarev which I'd want to switch it to something cheaper like 9mm anyway... All my other recent buys have been 9mm so why not.

UZI Talk Supporter
    KP products might have a barrel for the ppsh in 9mm
    You'd have to find them on GB just look for their pps43 stuff.

My pps43 pistol is in the 7.62x25 but i reload.
    I always try to keep them in original cal. when possible.

I take it you can't get to a lathe to turn out a GM blank and use the for torched original as a pattern ?
    It's what most do and why bowman includes the barrel chunks.

ETA: also shoot Robert bowman a email sometimes he has US made barrels or barrels that you have to sign a sporting clause form for.
    Not always but if he has enough kits he will get a run of barrels done.

Yeah, what I feel that I'm going to end up doing is getting in a blank and turning it myself and fabricating the lugs on the end of the barrel myself. The M49/57 barrel differs from the PPSh in that it has lugs and is designed to be changed quickly where the PPSh is pressed and pinned so that's unfortunately a no-go. I have minimal experience on a lathe but I'd say this is a great reason to get some experience!

I had to search high and low for barrel blanks lemme tell ya! After inquiring at about the first 20 barrel mfgs I contacted, FINALLY McGowen barrels got back to me on (2) 1.25" OD 14" long blanks for $92 ea+shipping. Oi

UZI Talk Supporter
    Green Mountain barrel is a blank turners/ builders best friend.

Haven't bought a blank in a while but i remeber them having sales all the time.

ETA: seems GM is about out of everything.

Maybe contact them and see when the next run is coming up for sale.
    Last edited by root; 12-10-2020 at 11:40 AM.

yep, I looked on their website and they're out of almost everything. I've resorted to not looking on blank MFGs sites to see what they have and just email them. MOST MFGs have gotten back to me and said that ANY order that's placed now will likely get completed in *6 - 7 MONTHS* crazy! One barrel blank MFG called me and asked what im looking for and said that for 10 blanks, theyd want $425 EACH and it'd arrive at my front door some time in June. lol... bananas, man

Update: I FINALLY got GM blanks through brownells for like $58ea. I also just literally today got access to a lathe so let the fun begin

UZI Talk Supporter
    Id make a couple and sell them to cover my cost... If I could make one!

that's basically my plan :p im in the works of bringing an old engine lathe back to life (pretty much everything was seized via rust) and once i get some good practice, ill be making some parts im super excited.

if all goes well, ill be making barrels that arent readily available for most parts kits IE Sa VZ26, PPS-43, etc. i've seen the specs on them and they not bad to make

Quote Originally Posted by Zackeroni View Post
    if all goes well, ill be making barrels that arent readily available for most parts kits IE Sa VZ26, PPS-43, etc. i've seen the specs on them and they not bad to make
    there isn't a lot of competition right now, as long as you stick to parts kits that KP and others are not currently making, you'd have a nice corner of the market...the problem has been gettin the blanks, but I hear they are coming back around. No one has the barrels for the Yugo 49/57, if I had that ability I would watch what kits Bowman has inbound and start cranking out barrels for those kits.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Who is Bowman?

APEX Gun Parts has a batch of these Yugo SMG kits inbound.
    They should be in the warehouse by the end of the week.

Richard

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APEXgunparts View Post
    APEX Gun Parts has a batch of these Yugo SMG kits inbound.
    They should be in the warehouse by the end of the week.

Richard
    Richard, you guys need to dig through warehouse 5 and find me some FND parts
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

Quote Originally Posted by chili17 View Post
    Richard, you guys need to dig through warehouse 5 and find me some FND parts
    This is what we have so far for FND parts:
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/machine...list_limit=all

I have some other barrels too.
    Unfortunately due to a shortage of people nothing is being received in this week!

Richard

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APEXgunparts View Post
    This is what we have so far for FND parts:
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/machine...list_limit=all

I have some other barrels too.
    Unfortunately due to a shortage of people nothing is being received in this week!

Richard
    LOL, I know. Just need some .308 and 06 barrels and parts

***sorry for the hijack
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

HELP!!??

Hello all! Iíve recently jumped down this rabbit hole myself. Iím having a heck of a time trying to find online resources on how to freaking build these things! Are there no YouTube videos or websites with build manuals or something? Iím really looking to build an older SMG, like one of these or a Sten or PPSH, but Iíve got no idea if everything I need is in the kits (Iím assuming you repair the cuts?).
    Long story not so short, Iíve got no idea what Iím doing, and if anyone can point me in the direction of some instructional material I would be enormously grateful.
    Looking at the CETME kits from apex too, but again, donít know what else Iíd need or how to build it!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SnubSaturn1349 View Post
    Hello all! I’ve recently jumped down this rabbit hole myself. I’m having a heck of a time trying to find online resources on how to freaking build these things! Are there no YouTube videos or websites with build manuals or something? I’m really looking to build an older SMG, like one of these or a Sten or PPSH, but I’ve got no idea if everything I need is in the kits (I’m assuming you repair the cuts?).
    Long story not so short, I’ve got no idea what I’m doing, and if anyone can point me in the direction of some instructional material I would be enormously grateful.
    Looking at the CETME kits from apex too, but again, don’t know what else I’d need or how to build it!
    Easy-peasy ...... join Weaponsguild.com

There are literally hundreds (thousands?) of build tutorials for just about every type of kit ever imported.....semi auto conversion methods....parts resources.....it's all there

Quote Originally Posted by Villafuego View Post
    Easy-peasy ...... join Weaponsguild.com

There are literally hundreds (thousands?) of build tutorials for just about every type of kit ever imported.....semi auto conversion methods....parts resources.....it's all there
    I second the recommendation to become a WG member!
    It is well established and very focused of building and fixing.
    APEX has a small vendor area there too.

Richard

FYI ....Bowman has them on sale this week, also barrel for these kits are now $ 295....where was that guy who said he was gonna start making them....now is the time my dude....

+ Reply to Thread