UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IMI UZI or Group Vector UZI

IMI UZI or Group Vector UZI

I am looking to purchase a full auto registered receiver UZI SMG and want to know is there an advantage to purchasing an IMI UZI or a Group Vector UZI receiver? Some of what I read says an IMI receiver is the way to go...others say a Group Vector receiver is better. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

UZI Talk Supporter
    IMi conversion is 100% in spec. Most have Group bolts though - replace w Bwe clearanced imi bolt if it does

Group/vectors are out of spec- all are warped/crooked to varying degrees

Bolt guns are typically a group bolt- out of spec

Not a hard choice
    Be wary of goofy conversions. Not all imi conversion guns are the same. You don’t want the blocking bar still present.

UZI Talk Life Member
    IMHO,
    In practice, little difference between the two
    If they run. (I own multiple of each)

Get a RR with no blocking bar.
    Avoid wonky conversions (RR that still has blocking bar, married reg Sears, etc)
    I would personally suggest avoiding bolt guns (there are +/- to them but I think the
    - far outweigh the +)

Good luck with the hunt,
    Matt

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand & Live @ The Blue Note
    Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    IMi conversion is 100% in spec. Most have Group bolts though - replace w Bwe clearanced imi bolt if it does

Not a hard choice
    Be wary of goofy conversions. Not all imi conversion guns are the same. You don’t want the blocking bar still present.

WTF Dave hardly any of this is true this is just your experience

IMI semi conversions were registered by numerous companies (and they DO NOT ALL or most have group bolts) or individuals what you want is a registered receiver with no blocking bar anything else can be used as is or brought up to Subgun specs
    NOT all Group or Vector guns are out of spec as they say you should not let any of this keep you from buying one make sure you can check them out before buying
    And not all bolt guns are not typically Group Industry bolt there are plenty of B&G bolt guns out there as well and they are not all out of spec if you get a bolt gun you will be limited to the caliber the bolt is registered in so no conversions

Send me a private message if you have any more questions or latch on to the website owners book on the Uzi
    Be polite,be courteous,be professional,but have a plan to kill everybody in the room
    UZI 22LR FA conversion kits are in stock

http://www.subgun-ordnance.com
    subgun-ordnance@sbcglobal.net

My thoughts:
    1.) IMI registered receiver with full SMG conversion
    2.) Vector RR
    3.) Registered Bolt
    4.) Registered receiver without full conversion
    5.) Registered sear

Price should be reflected accordingly ^

Just my 2 cents in “desireableness.” As purely a fan and someone who can afford none of the above, I’d be tickled to death to own any of the above.

Vector vs. IMI conversion -- This gets asked here a lot. In IMI conversion seems to be the most desired, but you have to make sure you know what the conversion entailed. There's some Vector haters here. I'm not one of them. I bought a Vector full size NIB 20 years ago. Never had any problems with it. The receiver looks just fine. Surplus parts fit into if just fine. Registered bolt guns are derided because you can't convert them to shoot 22, 45 or 41AE (who does this?). I have 22 and 45 conversion kits for my guns and never use them. 22 conversions just suck in general. You have to tinker with them, use the right ammo (which is never in stock) and clean the mags after every use --- these are my experiences. The 45 conversion works, but even in a stout gun like an uzi, its a pretty big round. Makes you understand why Thompsons are so heavy. So if you find a registered bolt gun at a really good price, consider it IMO. The gun was designed to shoot 9mm, not 22 or 45.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Fwiw, Reuben (dealernfa.com) generally
    charges slightly more for a Vector RR over IMI.
    My guess is that Vector RR is more of a known
    That it is a full conversion

Quote Originally Posted by mattnh View Post
    Fwiw, Reuben (dealernfa.com) generally
    charges slightly more for a Vector RR over IMI.
    My guess is that Vector RR is more of a known
    That it is a full conversion
    A lot of IMI conversions were done hastily so you can't use surplus barrels, and you can't legally fix it. Vectors started their lives out as machine guns. IMI's did not. There's folks here who are vocal about Vectors being 'out of spec', but I think they were an isolated group who got a bad gun. Mine is awesome. Get a wood stock for it. The folder looks cool, but the wood stock is way better for shooting. I'm not sure I'd pay a big price premium for a converted IMI. Maybe a few hundred bucks. The gun is so simple, it makes an AK look complicated.

Reuben may give you Cadillac service, but it's at a Cadillac price.

They've dropped in price. Now is a good time to get one. By the time the transfer goes through, the ammo craze will be over.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    A lot of IMI conversions were done hastily so you can't use surplus barrels, and you can't legally fix it. Vectors started their lives out as machine guns. IMI's did not. There's folks here who are vocal about Vectors being 'out of spec', but I think they were an isolated group who got a bad gun. Mine is awesome. Get a wood stock for it. The folder looks cool, but the wood stock is way better for shooting. I'm not sure I'd pay a big price premium for a converted IMI. Maybe a few hundred bucks. The gun is so simple, it makes an AK look complicated.

Reuben may give you Cadillac service, but it's at a Cadillac price.

They've dropped in price. Now is a good time to get one. By the time the transfer goes through, the ammo craze will be over.

If you have any RR not up to full SMG spec, anything other than blocking bar removal can be fixed.

No endorsement of Reuben (dealernfa.com) by me (I 'm personally not a fan), but I do think his prices
    reliably set the market high price by ~15% (i.e. an OK deal is his price -15%..-20%).

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post

Not a hard choice
    My Group bolt runs fine.

+ Reply to Thread