UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Suppressing a Mini Uzi

UZI Talk Life Member
    The machine work and finish looks great. It went right on my Mini Uzi without any issues at all.
    The practical side of me looks at your statement and thinks I'd fix it and get to shooting. Dealing with returns and refunds is something I detest. Maybe the next bbl. will feed fine, but look substandard in finish and I still won't be TRULY satisfied.
    To each their own.
    That said... I MIGHT get word to the seller and advise them of the situation. I once had issues with some Mini bbls I got from Green Mountain. I decided not to attempt a fix, as the chambers were cut incorrectly. The owner was most gracious. Gave me a free extra bbl and literally changed the production specs based on my feedback. My personal experience with Robert (RTG) is that he stands behind his products. In my case it was AK mags.
    Let us know what you end up doing? That Mini needs to shot, not looked at! :-)
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do NOTHING!"
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

UZI Talk Supporter
    Green Mountain changed their mini barrels?
    Last I saw they just ignored it and put a disclaimer on their site saying it might not feed Winchester white box ammo haha

UZI Talk Life Member
    Green Mountain changed their mini barrels?
    I had one of the first batch of them. Major issues, especially chambering.
    I sent him one of my original IMI bbls and he determined the chamber was cut too small.
    The bbls he sent back worked fine. Very nice gentleman and def cared about his product.
    FWIW the ONLY ammo I've ever run through mine is WWB...cuz it's CHEAP! LOL
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

I took some measurement tonight:

The RTG barrel is on the top and the factory barrel is on the bottom.

The factory barrel is on the left and the RTG barrel is on the right.

I think the most obvious question is why is there an additional step down on the RTG barrel before the chamber.

I was looking over my invoice and noticed that the one I ordered indicates Mini Uzi-N. What's that mean? Did I order the wrong part? I can't find reference to the N anywhere except of RTG's website.
    https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/M...H-371p6929.htm

Perhaps the N just means 3-lug?
    Last edited by Bret; 02-24-2021 at 08:19 PM.

The N is probably for Nitride finish. The step down is for the semi restrictor ring.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I stuck one of these RTG 3lug barrels on one of my micros
    And it fed like crap - 2 rounds tops in FA
    Never bothered to diagnose the issue, I figured I goofed something up
    Got 3 of these barrels - Wish I had a lathe...

What do you guys think drill press and sand paper?

The N is a reference to the MP5N that was 3-lug and threaded both.

I figured there had to be a logical explanation.

They have not emailed or called me back yet.

UZI Talk Supporter

I think lathe.
    Class 3 shooters blow thier loads faster and with only 1 pull of the trigger

I think the step down is designed to fit the semi auto barrel ring.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I think the step down is designed to fit the semi auto barrel ring.
    I think we are focusing on the camber area. Specifically the mouth.
    Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Well, I'm pissed now.

Here's the response that I received from RTG: "There are two styles of Uzi barrels (for all models of Uzi) semi auto and full auto. Semi auto barrels have the tapering around the chamber so they fit into semi auto feed ramps. The two types are not interchangeable and companies like Vector, sometimes produced guns with semi auto barrels and other times with full auto barrels, depending on the types of parts that were available to them. We have only ever had the one type of mini barrels. Unfortunately we cannot take back a used barrel."

I responded: "After a good number of successful transactions with RTG, I have to say that I'm disappointed with this response. Your website does not indicate that the barrel is for full autos originally produced with semi auto barrels. If it had indicated this, I would not have purchased it. The descriptions of other Mini Uzi barrels indicate that they are for semiautos. As I showed in the pictures that I sent, the mouth and barrel feed area are not correct for a full auto Mini Uzi. Given the inadequate description on your website and the fact that the barrel installs without issue, I'm wondering how I'd know that your barrel isn't going to work without giving it a try. This barrel is defective relative to the description on your website. I will be sending it back for a refund. If a refund is not promptly given, I will be disputing it with my credit card company. Please give me a call if you would like to discuss the matter."

I'm betting that I don't get a phone call.

The RTG and most aftermarket UZI barrels (including the 3-Lug) need the breech face (not the chamber!) opened up a bit. You'll need a dremil sanding drum on low speed and very carefully opening up the barrel's breech face so that the round's bullet head doesn't get lodged in the (factory original) sharp ridge. Again, be careful not to sand the chamber!

Once that is done, the 3-Lug barrels run 100%. i suggest using snapcaps and test thoroughly.

Back to suppressors, I've tested a few and they do reduce muzzle rise on a UZI Mini >somewhat<, pictured below are a Form 1 and WOLF SD9 5in:

A WOLF SD9 with just the 5inch segment works but it has a high incidence of baffle strikes.

Form 1 8.5 inch with 3lug GemTech mount adapter (this one you need to build yourself, at 8.5 inch you have better suppression and far less muzzle rise).

An interesting drawback with longer suppressors on UZI's (especially the Mini) is that there is a strange downward "recoil" after the muzzle rise (this was observed when mounted and fired on a sled to eliminate operator error/flinching).

+ Reply to Thread