UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Way to track if a police version ever made it to a dept?

Way to track if a police version ever made it to a dept?

I recently purchased a M10/9 Police. I was wondering if there was any way to trace the SN to a specific dept, or find out if it was even ever purchased by a dept. There are no obvious rack number markings on it. Sorry if this has been covered, searching the forums didnt come up with anything.

Someone mentioned one just a couple months ago iirc.

do some digging in the Mac section a few pages back.

Thanks for the link. I saw that thread, but it didnt cover what I was looking for. His was NIB, mine is not. I'm specifically looking to see if it was sold to a PD and hopefully find out which one.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Is that the kind of thing you can submit a Freedom of Information Act request for?

UZI Talk Life Member

Yes, you can submit an FOI to the BATFE and possibly find out the prior owners of a registered NFA item. I say might, because some of the information is redacted on the documents. There is a thread on UT about this and even a sample FOI letter that I think Battering Ram NIB posted.

UZI Talk Life Member
    NFA history is the way to go as indicated above but it’s very unusual for a department gun to not be marked. I’d take it apart and inspect all the surfaces of the upper and lower. Even my old gas gun is marked “ACC” simply scratched into the stock. If you don’t find anything, I’d say it probably wasn’t.
    Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

“To abandon FACTS is to abandon FREEDOM”

Don't forget to to check the magazines and floorplates. Last time I got a bunch of mags they were PD trade-ins and were electro-penciled with the PD name on every one.

Thanks all for the help.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Electro " Russian " pencil seems to be the norm on any gun that went through a PD.

I have a AR that is not only penciled on the buffer tube but above that is the same number on a plastic sticker.
    You can only see the electro pencil on the tube with the stock off the sticker stands proud in sight.

Also have a evidence gun that is electro penciled all over. One day when I get the time I plan on jeweling the electro mark numbers off of the revolver since they put them all on easy to jewel flat spots.
    My hope is to make it a bit more classy and not a crime scene piece.

Like others said look in places not commonly though to be marked since eloctro pencil is easily buffed out with a wheel and rosin.

Not just guns, I've worked on a fair amount of police cars over the years. Almost every piece of "cop equipment" in them including radios and mounts, even the spare cuffs usually found hanging on the E-brake pedal have the PD info electro-penciled on them! It's almost like they are afraid someone is going to steal from them...

Broward Sheriffs Office

Maybe not a contribution, but of interest, when I had my application for my Mac10/45 (since sold) walked into the deputy to the Sheriff Ken Jenne at Broward Sheriffs Office in Fort Lauderdale for signature, the deputy told me (once realizing it was for a MAC) that he was on SWAT in the 80’s with BSO and they used the MAC 10 9mm, for entry. Pretty neat. Realize today I should have asked more questions to details and about any approved and used accessories and the like.

My time resolved to MP5/10’s (never used the singular MP5/9 silenced we still had the on the books!) and later M4s. I wish you luck in your quest to learn its history. In .380ACP, I certainly see the immediate “Stop The Threat” factor. Utterly usable for close quarters (despite what anybody says to detract from the arm) no doubt. I’m a HUGE fan of the MAC and sad it likely isn’t anywhere in law enforcement.

Your FOIPA request shouldn’t deny/sterilize the identification of the agency since it’s a government entity. It would be cool to learn of all the agencies to which MACs were sold. Share if you find out anything on your quest.

Anyone know of ANY agency that used a MAC?!
    Last edited by rrrgcy; 01-10-2021 at 10:12 PM.

I have a couple department guns and 1 silencer and none of them were marked

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rrrgcy View Post
    Maybe not a contribution, but of interest, when I had my application for my Mac10/45 (since sold) walked into the deputy to the Sheriff Ken Jenne at Broward Sheriffs Office in Fort Lauderdale for signature, the deputy told me (once realizing it was for a MAC) that he was on SWAT in the 80’s with BSO and they used the MAC 10 9mm, for entry. Pretty neat. Realize today I should have asked more questions to details and about any approved and used accessories and the like.

My time resolved to MP5/10’s (never used the singular MP5/9 silenced we still had the on the books!) and later M4s. I wish you luck in your quest to learn its history. In .380ACP, I certainly see the immediate “Stop The Threat” factor. Utterly usable for close quarters (despite what anybody says to detract from the arm) no doubt. I’m a HUGE fan of the MAC and sad it likely isn’t anywhere in law enforcement.

Your FOIPA request shouldn’t deny/sterilize the identification of the agency since it’s a government entity. It would be cool to learn of all the agencies to which MACs were sold. Share if you find out anything on your quest.

Anyone know of ANY agency that used a MAC?!
    I know of a small town central PA PD that still had an M10/45 at least as recently as 2009.

I currently or previously have owned six machine guns that were formerly owned by law enforcement agencies/organizations. I obtained FOIA request responses on all of them. None of the FOIA request responses included the name of the LEOs, but some included the LEO address and/or rank/title but not name of the responsible party for the registration (in the case of those registered in the '68 amnesty) or transfer. Two were unmarked, one only had PD markings stamped into the wood buttstock, and the other three were electro penciled with an i.d. number on the receiver.
    Best of luck.
    MHO, YMMV, etc. Be powerful; be well.
    Last edited by SecondAmend; 01-11-2021 at 04:30 PM.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigations (TBI) used a Mac for undercover work back in the day. It resides in a display case in their headquarters in Nashville, TN.

Circa 1990 when I went through swat training Atlanta PD swat had a M10 9mm with suppressor. In around 1996 Hapeville GA PD had one of the M10 police bright blue models, it got traded for some MP5 stuff. And I recall that Powder Springs GA PD had a M10 in 9mm, one in 45, and a M11 380, all 3 were available for sale for about $9000 in 2007. They were supposedly gifted from Mitch Werbell.

+ Reply to Thread