UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: anybody see the keltec p50?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    Keltec have some very cool ideas; I wish they would get more efficient production folks.
    Keltec is a darling for the small dealer. They come out with a great idea, hype it up with youtube samples to the shills, and then manufacture it at the slowest pace possible. Every small dealer then gets one or two pieces that they sell at a 100% markup or better. This then goes on for at minimum 18 months, sometimes longer. By the time the gun is regularly on shelves, people have found its shortcomings and it sells poorly. They've done this for years starting the P3AT. Some others that come to mind are the Sub2k, the RMR30 , and the KSG.
    My gun collection is one murderous rampage away from becoming an arsenal

UZI Talk Life Member

I have a Sub2000 in 9mm, G19 magwell.

Out of the box it is terrible. Bad cheekweld; painful actually. Terrible sight picture. Almost unworkable.

The fix: Get MCarbo's heavy bolt handle, buffer, optics mount, red dot. In other words, turn your $400 Sub2000 into something workable for about $800. Which I actually like but it will never be worth what I have in it.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinTexas View Post
    I have a Sub2000 in 9mm, G19 magwell.

Out of the box it is terrible. Bad cheekweld; painful actually. Terrible sight picture. Almost unworkable.

The fix: Get MCarbo's heavy bolt handle, buffer, optics mount, red dot. In other words, turn your $400 Sub2000 into something workable for about $800. Which I actually like but it will never be worth what I have in it.
    and if they feed like crap you have to get the mcarbo metal feed ramp because Kel Tec thought a plastic one would be a good idea. I have the same one as you and cant stand it and don't see a reason to put the same amount I spent on it to get it working. But I will get this P50 and see how it is.

My Kel-Tec's have always worked well with exception of the KSG which required some tuning. I've had a Sub-9, Sub-2000. P-32, P-3AT, a couple P-11's, and the KSG. They're one of the few companies putting out anything innovative.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Member13 View Post
    and if they feed like crap you have to get the mcarbo metal feed ramp because Kel Tec thought a plastic one would be a good idea. I have the same one as you and cant stand it and don't see a reason to put the same amount I spent on it to get it working. But I will get this P50 and see how it is.
    On a factory unmodified Sub2000 I don't think you can actually get a decent check weld / sight picture if you are wearing muffs. I never could. But mounting the red dot about 2 inches above the bore fixed that.

Otherwise you're either waving it around unable to aim or you get your earmuffs knocked off every shot.

You wonder how the design team tested and developed it without noticing this.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

On a factory unmodified Sub2000 I don't think you can actually get a decent check weld / sight picture if you are wearing muffs. I never could. But mounting the red dot about 2 inches above the bore fixed that.

Otherwise you're either waving it around unable to aim or you get your earmuffs knocked off every shot.

You wonder how the design team tested and developed it without noticing this.

They all used earplugs?

With the sudden proliferation of 5.7 firearms lately, I wonder why more folks haven't started making .22TCM models. Heavier bullet going faster in a more reloader friendly package that usually just requires a bbl change to adapt to existing 9mm designs. You lose some of the capacity in the magazine due to the larger diameter case, but the shorter OAL is a plus.

On a factory unmodified Sub2000 I don't think you can actually get a decent check weld / sight picture if you are wearing muffs. I never could.
    Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    They all used earplugs?
    Yes I get it done by using plugs. Only time I use over the ears is when shooting at indoor range cause it is too loud so I wear both.

I was glad when I sold my sub 2000 G19. Like Scott said, you can get them to run well if you double the cost of the gun, but it is a mute point and I got the " I should have bought something else then" feeling. Sold it when the panic started late last year, and have not regretted it. If good for nothing else, panic times like now give you a chance to clean out the safe of things you bought and decided you didn't like, and they have just been sitting in the safe chilling in the back.
    The new 5.7 isn't for me. I have the Ruger 5.7 and love it. Too expensive to blast it right now though, and I only have about 2K rounds for it. Elite Ammunition made some promising looking ammo in the T6B for the 5.7. I would put aside the chips for a PS 90 if you want to go the SBR route IMO.
    I have the PMR 30 in .22mag from Keltec also and it is a good gun to run. 30 rounds of .22 mag is fun to blast rapid fire all on target at 25 yards. I have out run mine, and had a OOB discharge and that took a bit of wind out of my sails on that though.
    Also the Keltec SU-16 is a decent platform for the 556 lovers. Mine runs good, but I wouldn't grab it on the way out the door in a SHTF situation.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Loved my SU-16, found my PF9 hard to shoot, found my sub 2000 uncomfortable to shoot and poor for suppression.

+ Reply to Thread