UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any replacement mags for Max31,

Any replacement mags for Max31,

Has anyone come up with replacement mags for the Shockwave S31?? I know Soumi 72 Drums and Coffin! Any other?JD

UZI Talk Supporter
    A member, not me and I don’t know them, is selling a dozen s31 zmags on the non-nfa trading post on this site.

Hey JDillon;
    Contact Bobby Boucher he had the S31 mags for sale.

I picked up some rusty old sten mags and I mean RUSTY. Wasn't a shade of black left on them. Boiled them in distilled water and rubbed them down good with oil and 0000 steel wool and their as good as....crappy surplus. I cold blued the grey spots and they look fine. I used the diagram in this thread http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...sion-for-MAX31 and I recreated the tab and 3d printed some. Super glued them to the back and they actually hold on great. They function well but I wouldn't bet my life on them. The ones with the stronger springs worked well that is I need to replace the crappy 20 round conversion springs with some fresh 30 round and they will be good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by prescottkid View Post
    Hey JDillon;
    Contact Bobby Boucher he had the S31 mags for sale.
    Thanks, but don’t care to pay that for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JDIllon View Post
    Unfortunately they are out of production so the secondary market is the only option. That is what they are going for right now, more or less. I wish I had bought more when they were available for $40. $90 is a lot, but it is less than a coffin mag and about the same price as a drum. Since the 30 round sticks offer advantages over the other options I'm not surprised they cost what they do.

UZI Talk Supporter
    The s-31 zmags are superior to a coffin in my opiinion. First off, they are modern construction, good finish on them, good springs, reliable, and with an adapter, they work very good in competition too.

Just get drums...that’s what the max-31 is for! Anything else is less than gratifying.....��

Quote Originally Posted by JDIllon View Post
    Looks like you don't want stick mags for the Max31 then.

Quote Originally Posted by Offmarksman View Post
    The s-31 zmags are superior to a coffin in my opiinion. First off, they are modern construction, good finish on them, good springs, reliable, and with an adapter, they work very good in competition too.
    Every coffin mag I’ve ran through mine has been utterly reliable with no issues what so ever....coupled with the fact that new manufactured springs are available again and increased capacity over the shockwave mags makes it a win win for me. Mostly I shoot drums with mine, but when the K’s hit the market I may run more coffins depending on the reach and how tight I want to be tucked in shooting....CQB drills and matches.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I would say the coffin mags do indeed work, but it's not practical to carry them in matches when you need like four. Plus some matches make you limited to 30 rounds.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doobis View Post
    I recreated the tab and 3d printed some. Super glued them to the back and they actually hold on great.
    That's interesting! I'm surprised the 3D plastic ones work, even at 100% infill. If you're willing to upload and post the STL file here, I'd like to try printing one or two myself and try it just for grins.
    Now hosting: www.MAC-11.info

sure thing
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4731762

The original goal was to cast them in Zink by making a mold. I did cast some in zink but for what its worth super glue and the PLA+ tabs did just fine. I didnt see any major wear for general use. Now If you stick it in the magazine in the mag well and twist with some force yea its going to break off but for going to the range and shooting it does what its supposed to. I suppose after like 100+ mag changes or something its going to wear out but for a tiny chunk of plastic that takes 20 mins to print it really doesnt matter. I did test just sticking it in and out of the mag well over and over and I didnt see any ware at all.

I will warn anyone else that comes across this thread if you intend on casting in zink make a copy of the tab using bees wax then make a plaster of Paris mold with the bees wax. This part is so tiny and so much heat is required to melt the PLA out its just not possible without a furnace and the time/money/effort is just stupid when the zink tab isnt that much more impressive.

Id MUCH rather have some steel tabs made but not really realistic for like 8 Sten mags for cheap these little plastic tabs do the trick.

If anyone else wants it I did print a Sten mag gauge that you put on the back of the magazine thats at a 7 degree angle so you can measure how out of alignment you magazine is so you can adjust your feed lips.

Edit word

UZI Talk Life Member
    If anyone else wants it I did print a Sten mag gauge that you put on the back of the magazine thats at a 7 degree angle so you can measure how out of alignment you magazine is so you can adjust your feed lips.
    Would you mind posting that on Thingiverse as well?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4731897

Here you go. To use it just put a bullet in the magazine then put the flat surface along the backside. Its at a 7 degree angle so if the bullet isn't at that angle your feed lips are off and need to be adjusted. The tabs do get in the way. Its fairly tiny but does the job. You may want to increase to 200%.

Edit

If you want it I also converted a 3d printed sten mag loader to work with the converted magazines that have a tab on the back.

UZI Talk Supporter
    What would it cost to have someone print and ship me one of the Sten mag gauges?

You might want to look at it before you go spending a lot of money. From what I can see, it's a flat piece of L-shaped plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Starvingboy View Post
    You might want to look at it before you go spending a lot of money. From what I can see, it's a flat piece of L-shaped plastic.
    Thats correct Its a small chunk of plastic thats at a 7 degree angle. Im fairly certain that they make real tools for this but I didnt want to spend the money. Its so small and light I could probably just throw it in an envelope and put a stamp on it to mail you one. It cant be more than like 2 penny's of plastic.

Its based off of the information in this thread.
    https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=58989

and I wasnt going to pay 145 dollars for one
    https://www.brpguns.com/sten-magazin...air-condition/

UZI Talk Life Member
    Here you go.
    Thank you, sir!

Thanks for all of the reply's. I have some of the Shockwave Max S and coffin and drums. I was just curious if anyone found another source for them. NOTE: I called Shockwave and they have no plans on running them again.

+ Reply to Thread