UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Pleasant Surprise

UZI Talk Supporter

A Pleasant Surprise

Last night, my father gave me an old Lyman reloading press, 1940s-1950s. He informed me that it had belonged to my Mentor!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Score. Going to use it?
    Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

“To abandon FACTS is to abandon FREEDOM”

UZI Talk Supporter
    Absolutely! I've got to find something to mount it on and pick up some dies, etc, but I plan to put it to use. It will save me a drive to my parents' house when I want to work up a small batch of something, especially when I have a night when I can't sleep. (I'll still go over to load with him, especially for bulk or precision loads)

Does it take the modern standard dies and shell holders? A lot of the older stuff used their own proprietary dies and holders. Not sure whose eventually wound up as the standard 7/8-14 thread we use today, but Lyman was big enough it may have been them. Might not too.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    Does it take the modern standard dies and shell holders? A lot of the older stuff used their own proprietary dies and holders. Not sure whose eventually wound up as the standard 7/8-14 thread we use today, but Lyman was big enough it may have been them. Might not too.
    I haven't tried it, but my father said it will take Lyman/RCBS accessories. I will try one of his before I buy any. BTE, it has a Primer Arm

Should be good to go then. The stock primer install setup on a single stage sucks, I'd get a hand priming tool if you plan on loading more than a 20rd box at a time.

+ Reply to Thread