UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is a numbers matching Suomi drum worth these days?

UZI Talk Supporter

What is a numbers matching Suomi drum worth these days?

I haven't seen one for sale in years, and I'm curious if anyone has an idea with numbers matching Suomi drums in good condition should fetch?

I really don't believe it adds any more $$ to it because the cover number matches the number on the body .......the number on it is the serial number of the MG it once went to.

I guess if you had the M31 MG and the drum with that serial number on it, you could ask for a couple hundred bucks more.

UZI Talk Life Member

To a collector it may add some value but I don't think a whole lot. Condition is what drives the price. As long as it functions.

UZI Talk Life Member

I bought 2 matching drums for $80 each shipped a few weeks ago.

UZI Talk Supporter

where from? I just paid $85 ea for two non-matching drums this month

UZI Talk Life Member
    The matching # ones are often in better condition as
    they prob weren’t used as much.
    From my experience, about 10% of nice drums are
    Also numbers matching... some collectors will
    pay a small premium for them

Matt

What are the locations of all the numbers? I guess I never noticed more than one.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CKxx View Post
    What are the locations of all the numbers? I guess I never noticed more than one.
    There is just a number on the body and a number on the cover

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by emrisg View Post
    I bought 2 matching drums for $80 each shipped a few weeks ago.
    I'd pay more for matching. Instead I paid more for non-matching although they were very nice. I purchased mine from clearview, is there some source for matching ones?

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I'd offer an all matching number suomi drums at a higher price than a "regular" drum if I was selling. Because they are not sold much, I'd start at somewhere around +35% going price for a standard drum. Good pictures always sell stuff better. Imgur is your friend!
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

UZI Talk Life Member
    I’d add 20% or more if the cover matches the drum body.
    What I want to see is the serial number on the drum body, the flat spring housing, and the bullet platter all match. These parts mate and wear together and are more important to me than the matching top cover number.
    As long as those three numbers match, that’s what I’m looking for, and of course condition, condition, condition.

As far as value, I wouldn’t take a penny less than $100 each for my excellent condition, all for matching numbers drums.
    Last edited by Vegas SMG; 03-29-2021 at 03:33 PM.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

$100 seems to be the going price for drums anyways.

To me, numbers matching is just a buzz word. I'm gonna shoot them. I don't care if the numbers match. I care if it works! I wouldn't spend a penny more for matching numbers. If I had a Suomi built up I might consider it but still likely wouldn't care.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas SMG View Post
    I’d add 20% or more if the cover matches the drum body.
    What I want to see is the serial number on the drum body, the flat spring housing, and the bullet platter all match. These parts mate and wear together and are more important to me than the matching top cover number.
    As long as those three numbers match, that’s what I’m looking for, and of course condition, condition, condition.

As far as value, I wouldn’t take a penny less than $100 each for my excellent condition, all for matching numbers drums.
    I bet there are less than 100 people that have ever checked that in America. I was just thinking about the body and cover matching. Now to check and see if I have any of the ultra rare 4 numbers matching drums. I'm writing the headlines now in my mind: "QUADRUPLE numbers matching drum, $5,000" :-)

UZI Talk Life Member
    Words mean things, and numbers matching means exactly what it says. ALL numbers must match.

A 1963 split window Corvette would be a fun driver but without a matching engine, but itís not worth as much. It all depends on what youíre looking for.

After examining, cleaning, repairing, in excess of 1,000 drums, itís a pretty safe bet to assume most drums with a matching body and cover will also have matching spring housing and platter numbers.

I could assemble a drum with four different numbers and it would run perfectly. I donít make the rules, but my experience shows true numbers matching drum sells for more the Armory Depot rebuilt miss matched drums.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Vegas SMG has forgotten more than I know, but I think $135-150 would be a reasonable starting point for an all parts matching drum.
    These things WERE available for $25, but really were worth $150 all day long.
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas SMG View Post
    Words mean things, and numbers matching means exactly what it says. ALL numbers must match.

A 1963 split window Corvette would be a fun driver but without a matching engine, but it’s not worth as much. It all depends on what you’re looking for.

After examining, cleaning, repairing, in excess of 1,000 drums, it’s a pretty safe bet to assume most drums with a matching body and cover will also have matching spring housing and platter numbers.

I could assemble a drum with four different numbers and it would run perfectly. I don’t make the rules, but my experience shows true numbers matching drum sells for more the Armory Depot rebuilt miss matched drums.
    Some things are worth more with non matching numbers too. To use your vette example, would you rather pay the same price for a clapped out 63 or one that doesn't have the original motor but runs, is clean and built? My pickup is worth more with the aftermarket motor dropped into it than it would be stock. My car would be worth easily double it's value with a 2.7T swapped in vs the 3.0 in it.

At the end of the day is what you want to do with it. You gonna drive it or park it and brag about it? Same goes for mags. You gonna shoot it or just let it rust away?

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
    My car would be worth easily double it's value with a 2.7T swapped in vs the 3.0 in it.
    A6? My old car would have been better with a 4.2 instead of the 3.7.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Unless I have the gun to match the numbered mags it's more condition to me the numbers.

How many drums were mated to the suomi by number?
    Anyone know? One? Two? Maybe....

Most I've seem on collectible guns is two matching numbers mags.
    Most like the pm63 are just one.
    All my pm63 kits came with one matching but all the extras were also numbered just not matched.

+ Reply to Thread