UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can an M10 45acp Take Sten Mags with an adapter and 9mm upper?

Can an M10 45acp Take Sten Mags with an adapter and 9mm upper?

New (when From 4 gets approved) M10 45acp (Powder Springs) owner and have a question about using 9mm in the gun with a 9mm upper.
    (assuming 9mm returns to be most accessible & affordable)

I know there are insert adapters for double feed MAC-10 9mm mags for the M10.

Are there adapters to use Sten mags in a 45 grip with single feed 9mm bolt without permanently modifying the grip?

Thanks for any info.

Yes, it has been done. Tactical Innovation used to make an adapter, maybe 15 or 20 years ago. It worked well enough. You had to weld a tab to the back of the mag for the catch to engage.

I found the more common adapter you mentioned also works with the zyte single-feed mags. I also used PAM-2 mags with this setup.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I've been looking at this recently so this is a great place to verify information. The M10/9 has the same magwell as the m11/9 (is that correct?). So, the mag insert for the M10/45 will let you use M10/9 magazines, or, you could also use m11/9 shockwave mags if you have a single feed set up. I think.

Tagging along ..But ..yes

My semi RPB has a single feed bolt. No clue if its original or not. What it came with or I bought it here....only bolt I can currently find . Have some carbine uppers w bolts but don't recall what they are .single or double.

Seems like most the other breeds are double feed.

Rounded up the SW mags last week but yet to try . Got a bunch of Zytels as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaine777 View Post
    The M10/9 has the same magwell as the m11/9 (is that correct?). So, the mag insert for the M10/45 will let you use M10/9 magazines, or, you could also use m11/9 shockwave mags if you have a single feed set up. I think.
    Almost.

The original Powder Springs and then the RPB 9mm guns were designed with the double-feed bolt and used modified Walther mags. When SWD started doing the Big Mac, they used a single-feed bolt and set the guns up to use the same zytel mags as the M11/9. These shared the same trapezoidal cross section as the Walther mags, but tapered to a single-feed at the top.

The MAC 10 grip is longer than the M11/9, and the mag catch is not in the same location. Most zytel mags have two mag catches, one for the M10, and the other for the M11/9. The PAM-2 mags that were modified for the M11/9 have a slot milled into the reinforcing skirt for the M11/9 mag catch. The bottom of the mag skirt is in the right location, so very little has to be removed to work with the M10 mag catch.

You can see the double catch on the zytel mag as well as where the reinforcing skirt was milled for the M11/9 and then ground below that for the M10.

The Shockwave ZMags would fit and function in the M10, but you would need to modify them in some way for an appropriately located mag catch.

I'd just skip the adapter and get a max-10/31 if you want to shoot 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
    I think the math is showing exactly that - In the end you get essentially an improved MG for the money versus just a caliber conversion without permanently altering the gun.

Sa26 mags fit, though you will want to add a mag catch and you may need to clearance the bolt. They're longer than necessary since they're Tokarev mags, but it will be fine with 9mm.

The MAX-10/31 really is the way to go here.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
    This is the answer!
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

Quote Originally Posted by 9406170 View Post
    Sa26 mags fit, though you will want to add a mag catch and you may need to clearance the bolt. They're longer than necessary since they're Tokarev mags, but it will be fine with 9mm.

The MAX-10/31 really is the way to go here.
    That is interesting about the CZ26 mags fitting - I think I have some I picked up for dirt chap a few years ago. Might need to check it out at some point. Thanks for the info - the knowledge around here is great.

+ Reply to Thread