UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Z Mags too Tight in M11/9 Mag well

Z Mags too Tight in M11/9 Mag well

I've got 8 Zmags I bought in two groups of 4 several months apart. Tried them all today and none will fit the mag well of a serial number 86-105xx M11/9. You can FORCE them all the way in but then it takes two people to pull them out. What's the solution?

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Do any mags fit? Sounds like you need to stretch the magwell
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

Quote Originally Posted by renovate7 View Post
    I've got 8 Zmags I bought in two groups of 4 several months apart. Tried them all today and none will fit the mag well of a serial number 86-105xx M11/9. You can FORCE them all the way in but then it takes two people to pull them out. What's the solution?
    86 was last minute guns. They prob arenít spec if there is such a thing

The magwell needs to be stretched. Search the site but I think thereís someone who used a wood block somehow

I had the same issue with newer zmags but not older z mags. I was later told by a Mac gunsmith (I wonít call him out), that the newer batches of zmags (made in the last 9-12 months)have been slightly larger. Seems to make sense since the older ones fit fine. I ended up trading the new ones for older ones and all is well. I bet that if you try an older ZMAG, it will fit fine...

Or as previous mentioned, you can do a magwell stretch...

You could carefully compress the mags to “square” the bends. But they are trapezoidal so you’ll have to make a jig

UZI Talk Life Member
    Contact Shockwave and see if they will help.
    Richard Lage
    Lage Manufacturing, L.L.C.
    www.max-11.com

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by m11stuff@hotmail.com View Post
    I tried that, not much help. Ended up sending gun to Sam & Tina, quick turnaround and all dropped free after Sam stretched the magwell.
    "De inimico non loquaris sed cogites" "Do not wish ill for your enemy.....Plan it"

UZI Talk Supporter
    Those wedges Macjack made worked for mine.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m11stuff@hotmail.com View Post
    They don’t help with anything.

I just ordered with a comment not to ship in the bags (please send in a box) as my post office opens them.

Sure enough I get a fucking bag that’s been opened and taped closed. This is strike 3 for them.

So I have some 30s of the newest batch. They don’t fit like any of the previous several batches (that fit in the magwell as should) both through them and Lage.

I have an 86-84xx gun and they bind going in. Usually their bad mags bind internally as rounds get jammed side to side due to poor internal tolerance. Now they bind going in the magwell which is a 1st for this gun. If these mags bind externally, it means the internal tolerances are the worst they’ve ever produced and will bind cartridges side to side definitely.

Don’t plan to use these new ones, will trade them someday as NOS. Right now they are a purchase-mistake, luck of the draw with them.

Have to hand fit all their mags, internal rust even when new... there needs to be a better option, made of stainless, or anything better then cheapest-possible gutter steel, and by a company that GAF.

New mag. Only scraped from taking apart.

Rusty crap, imagine years from now.

Like cherry trees, you plant 11 to end up with 4 worth keeping.

Adding the term Z-mag Zmag review to help over time.
    Last edited by Hey...; 02-22-2021 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Pics of brand new mag rusted

UZI Talk Supporter
    From what I recall, the first production run of ZMAGs fit fine in most M-11/9s but were a tight fit for some M-11/9s. Due to complaints about a tight fit, subsequent production ZMAGS were slightly narrower. Here's a couple of other discussions about possible causes and a fix:

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...mags+tight+fit

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...ockwave+z-mags

UZI Talk Life Member
    All my old ones fit, this current batch doesn’t. Quality control?

Do they have a test gun to trial fit each mag after welding?

Probably no??? Otherwise this current batch that doesn’t fit my gun (when all others before did) would have never been sent out... or maybe they would’ve anyway per plan.

Seems all flurry of junk leaves. All the complaints over the years get zero response of concern, much less a plan of correction from Marty. Cruise control.

I checked mine that I just got a week ago after reading this thread. Tried in 2 different M11/9s. All six are tight, didn’t want to force them. Like everyone says, earlier production Zmags fit fine. Funny thing is that the 6 50 rounders I got in the same order all fit fine. Is everyone just having issues with the 30 rounders?

UZI Talk Life Member
    I've also become disappointed with the Z-Mags. They have become inconsistent on the forming. I also had problems with rust on the inside and rusty springs straight out of the bag from 3 different runs over the years. The insides have no protection because the are spray finished. They need a quality finish and better QC / CS.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I bought six at one time. Three were drop free. Three were tight. The tight ones have a slightly different color/finish to them. Several of my friends have bought and had to sand them to get them to fit. I let them borrow my drop free ones. Mine worked perfectly in their gun with no modifications. QC seems to be the issue.
    -Superman wears Chuck Norris Underwear-

UZI Talk Supporter

If you are having problems with Z mags binding internally check out the You Tube video titled "Shockwave Technologies Z Mag Tuning".
    My older Z mags were binding up internally and this method fixed them.
    Most of the mags needed a good scrubbing on the inside as well as slight reshaping of the follower...which basically consisted of rounding the corners just enough that they travel smoothly up and down inside the mag.

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. Mine appear to be binding, badly, front to back. I have some oak and a table saw and will try to make a mandrel to expand it a bit. But am always remembering you modify the cheapest part first.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    All my old ones fit, this current batch doesn’t. Quality control?

Do they have a test gun to trial fit each mag after welding?

Probably no??? Otherwise this current batch that doesn’t fit my gun (when all others before did) would have never been sent out... or maybe they would’ve anyway per plan.

Seems all flurry of junk leaves. All the complaints over the years get zero response of concern, much less a plan of correction from Marty. Cruise control.
    If I remember correctly, Marty no longer owns Shockwave. It would make sense that the 50 round magazines would be a better fit. I would imagine that many more of the 30 round magazines would have been made than 50s. I would think over time the forming mandrels would wear with use, making the corners not as tight because of wear.

Scott

On my gun I had a little blob of weld inside the magazine well where the nut that the grip screwed in was welded. I used a needle file to file it down and the mags fit then. My magazine well also was not aligned correctly when it was welded onto the receiver so the cutout for the mag didn't quite align up with the mag well. I had to use a file to open up the mag cutout so the magazines would not get hung up on the cutout. The original plastic mags were so soft they wore in pretty quick and would eventually fit.
    Last edited by boomer535; 02-23-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Remember when we were all bitching about Zytels and PAM-II mags?

+ Reply to Thread