UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Z Mags too Tight in M11/9 Mag well

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    All my old ones fit, this current batch doesn’t. Quality control?

Do they have a test gun to trial fit each mag after welding?

Probably no??? Otherwise this current batch that doesn’t fit my gun (when all others before did) would have never been sent out... or maybe they would’ve anyway per plan.

Seems all flurry of junk leaves. All the complaints over the years get zero response of concern, much less a plan of correction from Marty. Cruise control.
    First of all I've had nothing but good support the one time I had an issue. Second Marty sold it a couple years ago.

However this is concerning as many are saying it.

And just to add a bit more info. I found 8 more mags I bought last September when I sent in my Form 4. Four go in and work well, 4 do not. On the 4 that work they are 1.356" front to back. The 8 that don't work measure 1.365 to 1.372 front to back. You wouldn't think that tiny difference would matter, but it does. I think I'll just use the 4 that work and put the other 8 in their own zip lock with a note on the widths. I also think I'd remove metal from the back of a given mag, where the metal is double thick, before I'd start messing with the mag well. Alter the cheapest part first. If you care to send you gun to Practical Solutions, and let a professional work on it, that might be the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    First of all I've had nothing but good support the one time I had an issue. Second Marty sold it a couple years ago.

However this is concerning as many are saying it.
    I sent them an email regarding my 6 30 rounders. They replied promptly and sent me a prepaid label to send them back for exchange. I have no complaints about Shockwave so far. So far, so good.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DistalRadius View Post
    Remember when we were all bitching about Zytels and PAM-II mags?

I remember all too well. We should be very thankful for the Z-mags even if they are not perfect. Considering that this is a niche market we should be very happy that Marty took the time and money to bring them to us. A lot of people wouldn't bother with us. I cringe when I think back to the days when all I had were Zytels that were starting to split and was so happy to have the Lage add on steel feed lips. With the Z-mags I can sleep well.

Bought 6 50's 3 weeks ago

86 gun..slide in an drop free...Tested 1 of the batch..

Now the same mag in a 82 M 10...tight but fits....gotta yank to get it out.

The new 30 round Z mags do fit tighter then the old ones. Here is a video I made on how I got my new Z mags to fit.

https://youtu.be/Z7ezqVF-A68

Can't wait for the point where shockwave f's up so much that people stop buying them so they get discontinued, price on the old ones explodes and then a whole cottage industry starts around fitting the mags along with a FAQ identifying if your mags are Marty era or post Marty.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Can't wait until a reliable manufacturer with good CS/QC steps up and makes a nitride finished stainless steel mag that may rattle a little in the grip but fits all M11/9s.

Someone call MecGar!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Maybe the sten mag conversion will be cool again

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackjack View Post
    Maybe the sten mag conversion will be cool again
    I still got eight of them, plus a half dozen tabs!

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Bought 6 50's 3 weeks ago

86 gun..slide in an drop free...Tested 1 of the batch..

Now the same mag in a 82 M 10...tight but fits....gotta yank to get it out.
    Zmags won’t work in an m10

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LawBob View Post
    Zmags won’t work in an m10
    Only cause of mag catch height differences correct? Since the z mag only has one where the zytels have dual heights

UZI Talk Life Member
    Only cause of mag catch height differences correct? Since the z mag only has one where the zytels have dual heights
    The mag stop prevents it from reaching the proper height. If I had an SWD finished m10 I’d modify the Shockwaves to work.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    The mag stop prevents it from reaching the proper height. If I had an SWD finished m10 I’d modify the Shockwaves to work.
    So to get to work in an m10 you would need to modify the mag stops and mag catch?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Just knowing the stop fits flush with the bottom of an m11 magwell the mag stop protrusion would need to be hammered flat or ground off to insert further (into an m10). Then either mod the mag catch areas on each mag or create a custom mag catch for the m10 if dedicated zmags are the plan.

Because ...

You’d need a single feed bolt also. Or your DF bolt will pound the feedlips into submission.

Conversely, My m10/9 walther mags “fit” the m11/380 magwell, but won’t latch.

Got a single feed bolt in the 10 so I'll have to make the worst Zmag fit and modify it for catch & stops ....maybe. Or just run the Zytels in it....got way too many of them.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Got a single feed bolt in the 10 so I'll have to make the worst Zmag fit and modify it for catch & stops ....maybe. Or just run the Zytels in it....got way too many of them.
    Or send it to Sam and have an Uzi magwell conversion done.

Scott

I took one of the mags and used a table top sander to uniformly remove metal from the back until it fit. I inspected the inside of the mag well but didn't find any big obstructions. I did find where the two ends meet at the back of the magwell one sit higher higher than the other, they don't meet flush, reducing the magwell front to back measurement. And I also found the front stop/protrusion on the front of a mag is getting caught between the replacement grip and the bottom edge of the mag well keeping the mag from dropping free so I removed some of the plastic from the grip.
    Attached Images      

+ Reply to Thread