UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Everyday Carry

UZI Talk Life Member

I have two large home safes and a console vault in my truck and a locking mini-vault in my car.

Give that sometimes places are off-limits for concealed carry and you have no choice but to leave it in the car, you run the risk of theft.

Where do you put your carry gun when you enter a US Post office or other forbidden place?
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Haven’t been to the post office in years. Went to the courthouse once years ago for my carry permit.

My thought is to carry what you want, how you want, so long as it is reliable and you can shoot it well. I see a daily carry gun as one of the most important firearms in anyone’s collection.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottinTexas View Post
    I have two large home safes and a console vault in my truck and a locking mini-vault in my car.

Give that sometimes places are off-limits for concealed carry and you have no choice but to leave it in the car, you run the risk of theft.

Where do you put your carry gun when you enter a US Post office or other forbidden place?
    No doubt and that's responsible practice. I assume most of those car thefts are from people that leave guns in the car overnight.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Going into a post office for 10 minutes? That’s what locking glove boxes are for.

UZI Talk Supporter
    G43 or G23 depending on what I'm wearing or what I'm doing.

P3AT and/or CM9. On occasion I'll carry an SP-01 Tactical. No manual safety is basically my biggest criteria.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
    P3AT and/or CM9. On occasion I'll carry an SP-01 Tactical. No manual safety is basically my biggest criteria.
    I actually prefer a manual safety, especially when carrying concealed. (I carried a full sized 1911 before surgery on my left arm which left me unable to easily retract the slide).

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    No doubt and that's responsible practice. I assume most of those car thefts are from people that leave guns in the car overnight.
    We could go back and forth but if you must know, my employer also had a 'no firearms in the office, CHL holders must retain firearms in a LOCKED BOX IN THEIR VEHICLE when on company property' requirement.

In Texas there are many restaurants and other businesses that by posting the proper notice on the entrance can deny CHL holders the ability to carry on premises. It's common here.

I choose to not rely on a plastic lock / glovebox.

UZI Talk Life Member

True story.

Female friend of mine discovered her troublesome 20+ year old son (with a record) had a nice Glock 17 in his possession. She gave it to another mutual friend to keep until she figured out what to do. He calls me, I offer to help.

I did a really DUMB thing.

I called the HPD and said 'I'm considering purchasing a handgun I saw on-line and was wondering if you could check the SN to make sure it's not stolen'. The nice lady said, "oh yes, we can do that. Let me have the number and we'll get back with you."

Literally minutes later I get a call from an older male who threatens me with all kinds of grief if I don't turn it in to the HPD immediately. I explain a) I don't have it, b) I've never seen it or touched it and c) I don't know where it is. He responds that he knows my name, residence, place of employment. Starts asking a lot of questions about how I know about it. I decline to answer and hang up.

I start getting phone calls from him.

So I call my mutual friend on a land line, explain the deal. He says hey, no problem. I'll tell the mom to drop it off at the local HPD. I tell him no, I caused this, let me meet her there and I'll do it. I get in my car (middle of the work day) and drive 30 miles to my house. About halfway there my cell rings and Officer Buttwipe calls me to ask me where I was going and told me exactly where I was. I'm thinking holy crap, what have I gotten involved with?

So the mom, mutual friend and I meet at the local PD. Mom and I go in, Glock in a paper bag. We tell the desk officer why we are there, hand it to him, he say "ok, thanks" and we all leave.

Turns out that the weapon was a duty weapon stolen a couple of nights earlier from a police officer who lived in our neighborhood and left it in his unlocked cruiser. No wonder they were all over this.

Never doing anything remotely like that again.
    Last edited by ScottinTexas; 03-01-2021 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    I actually prefer a manual safety, especially when carrying concealed. (I carried a full sized 1911 before surgery on my left arm which left me unable to easily retract the slide).
    Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. A 1911 seems like a very inefficient carry piece. Heavy, low capacity, extra controls to fiddle with. Might as well just carry a revolver at that point.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
    Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. A 1911 seems like a very inefficient carry piece. Heavy, low capacity, extra controls to fiddle with. Might as well just carry a revolver at that point.
    I grew up with 1911s, carried one on active duty, and also carried one while working for local SD. Just what I was comfortable with.
    A good holster mitigates the weight issue, and with an extra mag, I had 17 rounds of .45, so it wasn't that bad

UZI Talk Supporter
    I can tell you as someone who is used to da/sa pistol, I'm having a really hard time trusting a round in the chamber with these striker fired weapons. I can understand why people want the manual safety. The important thing is being safe and comfortable.
    Last edited by Gaujo; 03-01-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Different strokes, but if I have to pull a pistol, I don't want a manual safety slowing me down or getting in the way. I think it is pretty revealing that most law enforcement agencies (FBI, Air Marshalls, multiple state and local PDs, etc) do not use manual safety sidearms. Of course, you could argue that a duty holster adds a level of "safety" but no thanks on a manual safety. These modern, micro, striker fired, high capacity, 9mm pistols are just amazing feats of engineering. 11 rounds of duty/HD 9mm in a pocket with a nice trigger? Crazy!
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

UZI Talk Supporter
    I can tell you if someone is used to double action pistol, I'm having a really hard time trusting around in the chamber with these striker fired weapons. I can understand what people want the manual safety. The important thing is being safe and comfortable.
    ^THIS.
    I know a guy in his 70s who has been carrying a S&W Chief's Special all his adult life, and he always keeps the hammer on an empty chamber. Sure, it's a 4 shot .38, but he trusts it.
    Also know a few people who swear by 1911s, but carry them with the hammer down on a loaded cartridge (condition 3). They aren't comfortable with a cocked hammer, even with the grip safety and thumb safety.
    OTOH, I know some who "Mexican Carry" Glocks.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    Different strokes, but if I have to pull a pistol, I don't want a manual safety slowing me down or getting in the way. I think it is pretty revealing that most law enforcement agencies (FBI, Air Marshalls, multiple state and local PDs, etc) do not use manual safety sidearms. Of course, you could argue that a duty holster adds a level of "safety" but no thanks on a manual safety. These modern, micro, striker fired, high capacity, 9mm pistols are just amazing feats of engineering. 11 rounds of duty/HD 9mm in a pocket with a nice trigger? Crazy!
    If I was carrying it on a duty holster on a duty belt in a nice kydex trigger covering setup I'd be perfectly comfortable too, but tucked IWB pointing at my privates, vital organs, and / or femoral artery it feels kind of different to me.

I've almost shot myself in the foot at a subgun match (you were there) that was due to a gear failure combined with bad form and I just can't feel the same way since about loaded firearms pointed at my body parts.

I still prefer condition 2 with a da/sa where I cock on draw with one hand, but haven't found a setup on striker fired pistols that I felt as comfortable with. Been looking at p365xl with manual safety but trying to keep my mind open.
    Last edited by Gaujo; 03-01-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I'm reminded of that video from a few years back where a guy didn't feel comfortable carrying his gun with one in the chamber...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FXHVjXPtJk

If you insist on carrying with a "safe gun" you better be proficient in your draw.
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    I'm reminded of that video from a few years back where a guy didn't feel comfortable carrying his gun with one in the chamber...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FXHVjXPtJk

If you insist on carrying with a "safe gun" you better be proficient in your draw.
    DAMN

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaTiques View Post
    My preferred carry are 2 Keltecs. A P3at, 380 in the winter and a P32, 32 acp in the summer. I have a belt clip on both. Muzzle hides in the watch pocket of my jeans. Neither one prints. Both are small and light. When I have to spend a long time in the car I wear a 9mm Ruger 1911 in a shoulder rig. When I'm at the range, my slinged semi Uzi. Life is good.

David
    I have always thought I was the only one crazy enough to carry a kel tec p32. I initially carried a full size M&P 9, then moved to the shield. Then got lazy and started carrying the p32 with the kel tec clip and just keep it in my cargo pocket. I haven't had any reliability issues with the p32.....famous last words.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I hear you Gaujo.

I've had more experience with striker fired handguns (esp. Glocks) than any other firearm. There are multiple safeties and these guns just don't fire unless you pull the trigger. By all means, protect the trigger, but anything additional just adds potentially deadly delay.
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

+ Reply to Thread