UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can a tube gun change type?

UZI Talk Supporter

Can a tube gun change type?

Can one buy a registered sten tube / tube gun and convert it to a Swedish K?

If no, can you swap the magwell?
    Last edited by Gaujo; 03-11-2021 at 10:29 AM.

I know ATF allows STEN tubes to be used for Sterling builds, but I doubt they would go for one on a different "family" of guns. I know some folks have figured out how to use a registered auto sear for an older gun in something post-86, and ATF said no. IOW, an AR15 "lightning link" can't be used in say an MG42 converted to use an AR15 FCG.

Legally, a magwell swap wouldn't be an issue. Fitment might be.

UZI Talk Life Member
    On the Firefly I have, the serialized part is a flat aluminum frame with a Wilkinson arms Linda FA grip assembly. The upper slides on- could put all types of things on top of it. Maybe .22 or 380 since it’s so small. Interested in what you’re doing here!

UZI Talk Supporter
    From a Sten to an M45 might be a tad far.....

Even though they allowed Stens to be built as both Sterlings, and Lanchesters, The majority of Sten-tube Sterlings I've seen still have a wide cocking slot.....atf wouldn't allow it to be narrowed, but did allow filling in of the Sten safety cutaway.

Every Sten to Lanchester build I've seen was done with unmodified Sten cocking handle/safety cutouts...... I'm guessing the ATF wouldn't allow any mods when they were repurposed......

In the 80's and 90's, Sten tubes were turned into anything..... I want to think I saw a LaFrance Yugo 49/57 registered as a Mk2 sten.....doubt anyone has ever given the reconfiguration a blink of an eye

People always say ask for opinion letters....just remember that all the firearms out there that don't technically comply with your letter could be effected....

Letters from the ATF are worthless now. Just look what they did to Bump Stocks.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Sounds like sterlings and lanchester are game, else not so much. Anyone aware of any magwell swaps on sten tubes?

UZI Talk Supporter
    So resurrecting this. If one had a Stemple tube, which has been used to make a tompson clone, a SW76 clone, a suomi kp31 clone, and more, could one use that to build a Swedish K?

UZI Talk Life Member
    So your Goal is Swedish K..Correct?

You could adapt the K stock easy enough.
    It would be a halfbreed sumbitch.

But ...what mags you want to run?
    To go suomi...you'd end up top eject...can you modify the ejection direction on a Sten tube..idk.
    The front ends of sten and K are similar but backwards...you could dummy up a sten frontend to resemble a K. Theres a way to add stock. Magwell seems to be whats in play and side load or bottom.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Yes I want a swedish K but they are expensive. Trying to see if it would be practical to have one made from a stemple or sten tube.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but several members here have made non-permanent, cosmetic changes to their MGs, some of which
    were simple furniture changes, others made them unrecognizable.
    Perhaps the OP could consider a similar technique? The magwell would be a challenge.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I always thought it would be cool as hell to build one of these from a sten

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/...onversion.html

UZI Talk Supporter
    If one were to attach one of the STEN folding stocks (sold by IMA, IIRC) with wooden grip inserts, a barrel shroud, and a vertical magwell (like the German 3008 that Mackjack referenced above) it would be a reasonable facsimile of the Swedish K, although it wouldn't be even close to an exact replica.

+ Reply to Thread