UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M10 identification and advice - M10a1 with slide safety and Cobray logo

UZI Talk Supporter

M10 identification and advice - M10a1 with slide safety and Cobray logo

Looking to purchase an M10. I'm weighing an RPB vs a Texas Mac. As I understand it the RPB uses the standard FCG and is considered both better built as well as more serviceable. The Texas M10a1 by comparison is less expensive and the particular one that I am looking at is also in very nice condition. I don't mind paying more for the RPB if I am getting my money's worth but my question is this:

The "Texas MAC" in question features a Cobray logo as well as a standard slide safety. Does that mean that it was one of the early M10a1s that are actually just a re-branded RPB? Does it likely use a standard FCG?

Thanks in advance for any clarification or advice

I have a swd Texas mac. I got it brand new in box a few years ago. Love it - Only complaint is that it uses single feed mags or zytel mags. Iím going to get it sent to practical solutions to get the dual feed ramp installed so I can use double stack mags. Other than that, itís good to go for parts sold on the open market. You will have no issues of it being a Texas mac since it isnít truly a Texas mac.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by gun.bro View Post
    I have a swd Texas mac. I got it brand new in box a few years ago. Love it - Only complaint is that it uses single feed mags or zytel mags. I’m going to get it sent to practical solutions to get the dual feed ramp installed so I can use double stack mags. Other than that, it’s good to go for parts sold on the open market. You will have no issues of it being a Texas mac since it isn’t truly a Texas mac.
    Ok, so you're thinking then that it isn't really the Texas mac setup? Its a .45

Mine came out of box as 9mm. As far as I know these were Texas mac lowers that were completed by swd. So just having a Texas address on them is about as Texas as they got. Swd parts and internals as far as I can tell. With the Lage max10 I cant use single stack unless I buy a different bolt. So with the one small feed ramp mod, it will get me better quality magazine choices at cheaper rates. I bought a Lage max10/31 and left that on it for now until I do the feed ramp modification. Also own a max10 upper that I have not used yet due to it being a dual feed bolt in it.

So you say your Texas MAC has a Cobray Logo? Important question, is that logo stamped in a circular indentation or flat on the receiver? I ask this because the original Texas guns were Cobray stamped but SWD made them grind them off because SWD owned the Cobray copywrite. This made a circular indentation where the logo was. After Texas MAC went out of business SWD bought out their inventory. The original Texas MAC guns were poorly welded so SWD re welded them and re stamped them with the Cobray logo in the circular intention were tho old logo was ground off. So if you have a re stamped logo then you have a gun that has been re welded and will not fall apart when you shoot it. If your Cobray logo is not a re stamp then you probably have an early gun with crap welds that will have to be re welded.

UZI Talk Supporter

Cobray logo with no circle. For another $500 I could upgrade to a NIB with the Cobray logo with the circle. $500 isn't bad for the higher quality but I kind of wanted the .45. Also, I'm not too concerned about the welds (i can weld or have it done and I only would if it started to crack) but I am concerned about parts availability.

That gun could have still been re welded over the years, you never know. I bought a powder springs M10/45 from SWD in 1989. It turns out the only thing on that gun that was original Powder Springs was the receiver. But SWD added the receiver pin reinforcements and the upper and bolt were the latest style, so it was actually better then original. It is best to actually look at the gun so you can see for yourself. All my M10's are the 45ACP flavor. I got M11/9's for 9MM. That gun with the logo in the circle is an SWD re worked gun just like my M10/45 I bought from them. SWD did good work.

Mine has the circle ground in, with the swd stamp. Full welds included in 9mm

UZI Talk Supporter

worth paying $500 more for? seems for that price i could about have it rewelded and reparked

Quote Originally Posted by smec_289 View Post
    worth paying $500 more for? seems for that price i could about have it rewelded and reparked
    Agree here. I like a gun that has been shot before, bugs worked out.

+ Reply to Thread