UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .308 Galil Information

.308 Galil Information

Fixing to start on a .308 Galil build, and have an SAR and an AR kit here.

Both were originally IMI-built 5.56 guns, and both have uncut front trunnions, so no issues with rewelding. All cuts have been made behind the magazine well.

One kit is tzahal marked, the other has the IDF shield. The tzahal marked receiver has the ejector torched, and the area where the magazine release would rivet in place has been barely nicked.

I intend to reweld and rework the receiver with the torched ejector into a .308 receiver, and need to verify the dimensions of the front trunnion.

Barrel thread should be M25x1.5mm, but the barrel extension shank behind the threads is the same 18.7mm diameter as the 5.56 receiver, correct?

What is the distance from the front of the ejector to the rear of the locking lug in the receiver?

What is the length of the magazine well?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

The two torched receivers are a bit different to each other. Is there a reference or serial number library where people have tried to keep up with the production changes over the years?

Serial 2026485, for example, is a parkerized but not lacquered receiver, with the lightening cut on the right side, and scope mount cut on the left side. Originally built in 5.56, with the IDF acceptance marks and IDF shield engraved on the receiver. The barrel stub that came installed was marked 5-89, I assume May 1989 assembly date.

Serial 2074820 is not parkerized, but instead black lacquered receiver, No right side lightening cut, with scope mount cut on left side. Originally 5.56 caliber, but with the tzahal mark instead of the IDF shield.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two markings, since both receivers have IDF acceptance marks?

+ Reply to Thread