UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marlin Model 50 rifle

Marlin Model 50 rifle

Just picked up a little Marlin Model 50. It's a little low production (~5,000pcs last I read) open bolt semi auto 22LR from the 1930s. It fills a need for an old open bolt semi in the collection. Can't wait to shoot it!

The metal is in great shape, it has a mag (probably worth more than the rest of the gun!) But the butt plate is damaged and the stock has a nice crack right behind the action. Almost looks like they tried to fix it with JB weld. I know I can get repop (not quite matching) butt plates from Numrich for cheap but stocks... Where? Other than the crack the wood is great.

Anyone know where to find a stock?

Any recommendations on maybe repairing this one without it looking too terrible? I'll try to take the leather the break is wrapped in off and get a photo. Looks like chunks were missing so it was filled with JB weld. Eww!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Epoxy works well, 22 recoil won't hurt it. If there's a chunk of wood missing, you'll need to find a piece of the same type of wood, clean out the damaged area, cut the new piece to fit, epoxy the piece in, contour the new piece, strip and refinish the entire stock.
    If you want (although it's not required for 22) you can put pins in to reinforce the epoxy.
    Try Dixie Gun Works for replacement buttplate.

Looks like the chunk has been filled in by some idiot using JB Weld. Probably stronger than the wood!

I'll try Dixie. Numrich looks to have one that fits but doesn't say "Marlin" like the original.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
    Looks like the chunk has been filled in by some idiot using JB Weld. Probably stronger than the wood!

I'll try Dixie. Numrich looks to have one that fits but doesn't say "Marlin" like the original.
    File/rasp the JB Weld down to bare wood, square and flatten the area, repair with new wood and epoxy, refinish. Take your time with the woodwork.

Midway sells repro Marlin buttplates, special order for most of them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=marlin+buttplate

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    File/rasp the JB Weld down to bare wood, square and flatten the area, repair with new wood and epoxy, refinish. Take your time with the woodwork.
    I need to find someone with more patience than me and an artistic eye. That's not me! I'll have to take off the leather band and see how deep the JB weld goes.

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    Midway sells repro Marlin buttplates, special order for most of them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=marlin+buttplate
    Thanks!! Just what I was looking for!

+ Reply to Thread