UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Thread: SUOMI Drum 22 L.R 3D Print Conversion

very clever,

I take my hat off to folks that make things for themselves or modify things for their own needs. great job on that and your drum

when you are done, you just got to video yourself shooting your creation I'm sure everyone will want to see it as well
    Last edited by Uncle Billy; 07-19-2021 at 01:25 PM.

thank's Uncle Billy i will do a vids when i get the drum functioning.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I like your flat spring winder Bianchi. Very clever and effective. Tres Bien Ami!

Thank you Skoda!

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  62.5 KB
    the springs arrived in the letter box this morning! i choosed this one 0.65x6x680mm they are clean i have to buy a gaz torch to rebuild the spring extremity, they are long i could train me they have to be similar a their original shape but more small, will be a bit difficult i will try!

for those that ask me file or measurement i work on this size to get a gain of time and small printing time! you could reduce this drum for 9mm ammo he be more larger with more loading capacity and only have to modify the spiral channel to a 22 lr ammo size! but the printing time will be longer.
    Last edited by Bianchi; 07-21-2021 at 12:38 PM.

first try without a gaz torch...

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  93.4 KB

i cleaned the tool but i could not heat the head and tail of the spring separately...that made a spring that be a bit oval at start..

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  86.4 KB

i put a thickness for having the spring much upper in the tool and changed the screw by a smaller one to not loose space.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  53.1 KB
    the "winder" (thank's Skoda) work well but it will be better when i will go buy a gaz torch! i used my gaz cooker to do it lol!

i buyed a gaz torch! not the same work now the steel become like the butter! when i get more time i will do others tests with my bucket of drain oil.

the thickness of the spring that i buyed be too large (0.65) be difficult to make two tours without deformation. a 0.40 spring thickness may be better and more souple in this little casing. i have to find it and wait again15 days.

your first French lesson:
    c'est un vrai merdier! cette histoire de ressort plat en spirale!

the only word I see in that sentence that I know right off the bat what it is, is merd/merdier.........the rest is Greek to me

be the only universal word that explain a problematic situation in any linguage! i prefer Latin than the Greek! but that also not help me in my spring quest.

Hi thank's for all the visitings but you could also write what you think about this idiotic experiment that help me to understand my 3d tools and that give me fun!

i choosed a new spring (thickness 0.25) be described like this:
    High Precision Constant Force Flat Wire Torsion Retractable Coil Spiral Spring ,0.25mm*8mm Width*5000mm Length*45mm Out Diameter

i do not know where i could weld in the future because i will go into a new house where thare is no space or a garage to do this kind of thing. but i will do the best that i can to finish this part!

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi View Post

i do not know where i could weld in the future because i will go into a new house where thare is no space or a garage to do this kind of thing. but i will do the best that i can to finish this part!
    I had that same problem, finding a welder to weld a feed tower to a SUOMI drum to make a 70 round MP5 drum. the person that had a welder did a couple of other drums for me, by welding a cut down PPS-43 stick mags to a PPSh-41 drum to make a PPS-43 drum........but he passed away, and finding a welder that would do that tiny job of welding 2-1.5 inches welds was fruitless, they either didn't do those kinds of small jobs, or in one case he was asking 80 dollar for that 3 minute job.

so I'm sitting there looking at my feed tower and drum then it hit me.........to use the same method that I used to mate the top part of a TAPCO GALIL 5.56mm AK plastic mag to the bottom half of a AR15 feed tower for the BETA C-MAG DRUM, I used a strong epoxy product called J-B WELD, then I braced both sides of the mated pieces with aluminum flat stock. I did this more then 6 years ago, and it never failed

I did a thread on it here;
    http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...ht=#post834527

so that is what I did to secure the feed tower to a SUOMI drum, I slathered J-B WELD on a bent metal brace, secured it with screws and clamped it, waited 48 hours for it harden and cured...........that is going no where, with me putting all my weight on the feed tower it didn't budge 1mm

then I prettied it up, by filling in the screw slots with J-B WELD and filed it flat, it now looks like the feed tower was riveted onto the drum

I did a thread on my MP5 drum here that shows me shooting it ;

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...light=MP5+drum

just telling you that there are other methods out there...........I've also seen that brazing with MAPP is successful, that is a pretty small equipment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SFVPR7S0cw
    Last edited by Uncle Billy; 08-09-2021 at 09:14 PM.

that's the same here if you want a tiny welding job onto a preparated parts they keep too much money that's why i weld all that i can myself.

i'm a bit like you! i could made your kind of modifications more easely if i could live in U.S, here you have to justificate what you want to buy with the adequat license! modification or adapter must be registered if they are permised or they are simply not legals.

i started to cut a pipe to build another "winder" a bit tiny than the first one(the first had the same size than the spring casing!) i do that to get a spring that be not much compressed when it be lodged into the spring casing because that will be a bit larger, more souple!

the spring arrived! be thin and elastic i can easely insert his original boucle into the first winder that i made and get the required two laps to trains the follower! this one is better than the two first that i buyed!
    Attached Images  

be more easy to work with this thickness size! now i have to made a slot in the axis that trains the follower.
    Attached Images      

excellent!

thank you Uncle Billy! finally i had a flat spring!!!! at the right size or not?? that's what we will see soon.

Name:  ui.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  77.6 KB

it looks as you got all the issues worked out, looking forward to see how your creation works

thank's billy! thank's for you're objective comment! i must learn from all the error i do! i'm not immune to another mistake.
    today be a really hot day where i live i wait some freshness to build the rest.

for those that want to build this kind of spring

1.unroll the freshly buyed spring to heat it (only the head)

2.put the heated spring in the slot of the tool to start to shape the head boucle.

3.winding the boucle 3 times with the help of the screw from the tool.

4. unroll the boucle to get space with the help of the screw from the tool.

5. let it cold or dive it into oil (steel stay souple) or water (steel become harder but could break at use)

6. push the rest of the unrolled spring that is outside the tool with a plyers to get 5 laps.

7. heat the end tail of you'r new winded spring to twist and cut it

et voila!

to put the spring in his casing you have to compress it! remove it from the tool and block it with a RISLAN, you could put the screw from the tool inside the spring to tight it, in the same time you must tight the RISLAN.

thank you Bianchi, I always try to help and give encouragement to anyone who makes things for themselves. .

yeah, it's going to be another hot day here in Cleveland, Ohio.......but when summer is only 4 months here and the rest of the year it's cold and snowing, with bouts of artic temperatures , I don't complain about the heat too much

I save my complaint when it's not hot

+ Reply to Thread