UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting Set Up for a Winter Project

UZI Talk Supporter

Getting Set Up for a Winter Project

I'm looking ahead to a project for the upcoming Winter:

1) Pietta Engraved Steel Framed 1851 Colt Repro with faux Ivory Grips ($350),

2) Kirst or Howell Conversion Cylinder (Howell's lists them as available with Engraving, Kirst's does not, with the Frame and Barrel Engraved, the Cylinder should be as well!) .38LC
    a) That will keep someone in the from loading it with .38SPL+p Jacketed Bullets,
    b) The Bore on the '51 is the correct size for the LC Bullet,
    c) The LC is closer to the original Conversion Cartridge (they were either .38 Rimfire or .38 Short Colt, although it's possible that some may have been converted to .38LC) and I can shoot .38SC in the LC Chambers if I'm feeling like I have to be "historically correct"),
    d) I can load Cartridges with either Bullets or Round Balls cast from a .36 Cal Mold.

3) Screwdriver, etc, with Ebonized Wooden Handles from Dixie Gun Works;

4) Make a Leather covered French-Style Fitted Case for the Pistol, 12 rds of Ammo, Screwdriver, Nipple Wrench, Bullet Mold, the Cap and Ball Cylinder, Box of Percussion Caps, Powder Flask, and a Compartment for loose Round Balls.

Should come in at approx $1k.

It's possible that I will SBR it and pick up a 12" Barrel and a replica Detachable Stock for it, but I haven't decided yet. This will add another $600-ish, but it would be cool!

Tag for interest.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'm hoping to get the 1851 this summer, as well as the wood and hardware for the case.

UZI Talk Supporter
    This sounds interesting. I just looked at their website, and they have lots of interesting varieties. The Captain Schaefer and the pepperbox are standouts!
    http://piettausa.com/1851-Navy_c_12.html?viewall=1

By the way, if you convert a black powder weapon to one that fires cartridges, does it become a regulated firearm?
    Last edited by Gaujo; 05-28-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Nice. Iíve got a Cimarron 1851 Navy conversion revolver in 38 special. Itís honestly one of my favorite guns to shoot.

maybe time for some frontier-style, dual carry...

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    This sounds interesting. I just looked at their website, and they have lots of interesting varieties. The Captain Schaefer and the pepperbox are standouts!

By the way, if you convert a black powder weapon to one that fires cartridges, does it become a regulated firearm?
    They do have some great stuff!
    Re: Conversions;
    ONLY WHAT I UNDERSTAND, NOT LEGAL ADVICE!
    It depends on the jurisdiction. Federal Law is "both yes and no"; "yes" in that you can't ship it USPS if the Conversion Cylinder is installed, or if the Cylinder is installed by the Manufacturer; or if sold in a Gun Store with Conversion Cylinder installed; "no" regarding personal conversion (ie, it's a "ghost gun!)
    I have no clue about possession by felons, or about SBRing one. However,if I decide to SBR one, I will err on the side of caution.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fortyfive1911a1 View Post
    Nice. I’ve got a Cimarron 1851 Navy conversion revolver in 38 special. It’s honestly one of my favorite guns to shoot.
    Cool! Got pics?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBesty View Post
    maybe time for some frontier-style, dual carry...
    Several years ago, I saw an ad in a gun mag for a Concealed Carry Holster for Single Action Revolvers, but there are historical examples of Shoulder Holsters from the 1800s.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    Cool! Got pics?
    Iíve never figured out how to upload pictures on this site from my phone, but it is this exact one.

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Prod.../11132926?fs=1

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fortyfive1911a1 View Post
    I’ve never figured out how to upload pictures on this site from my phone, but it is this exact one.

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Prod.../11132926?fs=1
    That's a good looking gun

Several years ago, I saw an ad in a gun mag for a Concealed Carry Holster for Single Action Revolvers, but there are historical examples of Shoulder Holsters from the 1800s.
    open carry, double gun belt

don't think Wild Bill was concerned with concealed carry for his Colt 1851's

UZI Talk Supporter
    open carry, double gun belt

don't think Wild Bill was concerned with concealed carry for his Colt 1851's
    If your jurisdiction allows Open Carry.

Personally, I honestly see it (especially the Engraved version with the faux Ivory grips in .38LC) as a BBQ Gun, but the 4" in .45Colt would make a viable carry gun (the manufacturer and seller {Pietta and EMF} Recommend Cowboy Loads with Lead Bullets only, no JHPs, no +p, less than 700 FPS, so Bullet weight and diameter are paramount)

UZI Talk Life Member

It is my understanding that under Federal law any firearm designed or built or an exact replica are not regulated under the Gun Control Act of '68. If you change the design, adding a modern style part, then that firearm would be regulated under the GCA '68.

Scott

If your jurisdiction allows Open Carry.

Personally, I honestly see it (especially the Engraved version with the faux Ivory grips in .38LC) as a BBQ Gun, but the 4" in .45Colt would make a viable carry gun (the manufacturer and seller {Pietta and EMF} Recommend Cowboy Loads with Lead Bullets only, no JHPs, no +p, less than 700 FPS, so Bullet weight and diameter are paramount)
    I wasn't suggesting for daily carry. There are obviously far better & reliable options for that. These are for show.

Last I checked, TN has "enhanced license" open carry, and constitutional carry bill was signed by your governor and goes in to effect July 1st.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I wasn't suggesting for daily carry. There are obviously far better & reliable options for that. These are for show.

Last I checked, TN has "enhanced license" open carry, and constitutional carry bill was signed by your governor and goes in to effect July 1st.
    Got it; I misinterpreted what you posted, and thought you were talking about actually carrying them. However, even the Cowboy load .45 Colt would be more than adequate for CCW use, especially 12 rounds, 6 in each pistol. If one pistol stopped working, the other is available. Definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but all else being equal, I'd rather carry a Single Action .45 revolver, or even a .38LC, than a .22LR or .25ACP.
    Yes, we are FINALLY getting Constitutional Carry this year! The Governor wanted it last year, but the Legislature didn't vote on it due to Coronavirus Bills. The current Governor ran on, among other things, Constitutional Carry and a strong 2A platform.

Very neat project. Hope you share photos as you progress forward on it.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Very neat project. Hope you share photos as you progress forward on it.
    I will definitely try to post pics of before, during, and after.

UZI Talk Supporter

If you look further down this page, the Engraved 1851 with "Ultra Ivory" grips, which is the one I want to use as a base for the build

That's a good looking gun
    Thanks! Itís so pretty I had to put it on display in my office across from a cap and ball 1851 Navy. I canít explain why, but these are my favorite revolvers. I donít want to hijack your thread talking too much about the Cimarron/Uberti conversion replicas, but if you want any good pictures or details send me a PM and Iíd be happy to send you an email with some pictures/details.

Looking forward to seeing more about your project. I had a buddy in college that converted his Uberti Walker to 45 LC.

+ Reply to Thread