UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: New to HK need suggestions for DLO Box

  1. #21
    FFL
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    174
    Two that I know of will do the work. TSC makes a modified carrier/bolt and MM will modify the receiver so you can use a full auto carrier. I haven’t decided which way I will go yet as I just submitted my paperwork. Of course the new housing I bought needed to be clipped and pinned to work with a SP5.
    Last edited by hawkin; 06-13-2021 at 12:17 PM.

  2. #22
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    1,016
    I have HKs and clones. My favorite clone in the MP5 class is TPM Outfitters. You can have it built the way you want. They do great work and are reasonable. Their MP5KL is one of my favorite hosts. It is a reverse stretch and a joy to shoot

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    The ATF handbook on nfa items says it's not legal to do as well.
    Can you elaborate? I've read the NFA handbook (if that's the ATF handbook you are referring to) and I don't recall seeing that in there.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    Can you elaborate? I've read the NFA handbook (if that's the ATF handbook you are referring to) and I don't recall seeing that in there.
    Agree this doesn't make sense. If the SP5 without a block is an illegal MG, then an SP89 is an illegal MG. I know the laws and rules are not always logical like this, but it's not something that seems particularly worrisome to me. I am not a victim of the "secret handshake and password" paranoia that tends to penetrate the NFA community.

    Just 5 years ago when the John Keyosayian Colts were being liquidated, there were some forums that would not even allow the obvious remakes (with post-1989 restructuring manufacturer markings and A4 lower reinforcements) to be discussed, for fear of stoking up ATF interest. Now the obvious remakes are being openly sold as Keyosayian guns, and touted as desirable because of modern black A4 receivers.

    My point is, nobody is being thrown in the clink for innocent mistakes surrounding legit transfers of $40K receivers and trigger packs. It's paranoia.

    And TSC has an *obvious* motivation for declaring that converting an SP5 is a no-no. He makes a lot of money refurbishing the old guns, and has his own work-around.

    I'm not saying I have the final word on this any more than the next guy. But I don't fear being jailed because MM cut a block off an SP5 to make it an SP89, essentially, for my perfectly legal registered DLO box.
    Last edited by secondofangle; 06-16-2021 at 11:17 AM.

  5. #25
    UZI Talk Life Member
    mattnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    902
    FYI -
    My understanding is that MM replaces the SP5’s front shelf (that has a hole) with a traditional
    semi-auto shelf without a hole before removing the block in the receiver

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    336
    I have a PCS and it has been great. It comes sear ready. The wait time was minimal when I got it last summer. Price was right. It is a great host gun.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    237
    Yeah, I'm beginning to see where you clone guys are coming from. The prices for HK German guns are astronomical right now. I'm going to get one of these and keep my eyes out for an HK94 or a sear-ready gun worked on by TDyer or TSC or RDTS. I can shoot it in the meantime while my DLO frame is in jail. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902910198

  8. #28
    UZI Talk Life Member
    nuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by secondofangle View Post
    Yeah, I'm beginning to see where you clone guys are coming from. The prices for HK German guns are astronomical right now. I'm going to get one of these and keep my eyes out for an HK94 or a sear-ready gun worked on by TDyer or TSC or RDTS. I can shoot it in the meantime while my DLO frame is in jail. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902910198
    Congrats on the DLO Box acquisition! I've gone down both roads with HKs - clones and all German HK hosts, and I shoot both. I have had really good luck with these builders and their products: DJ Getz, TDyer, TPMO, and TSC. Good luck on your HK journey - it will be a fun and learning experience for sure

  9. #29
    UZI Talk Life Member
    mattnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    902
    Fwiw, agree re: DJ Getz work - he made decent yet relatively inexpensive clones - sadly no more…

  10. #30
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,291
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnh View Post
    Fwiw, agree re: DJ Getz work - he made decent yet relatively inexpensive clones - sadly no more…
    I think he did the QC work that Todd should have done. I bought a 9mm, .40 S&W, and a couple of 10mm K PDWs barreled receivers from him.

    Scott.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    237
    Was does "reverse stretch" mean in relation to these clones?

    Nevermind google figured it out for me. You guys prefer the big or little receiver for your K-variants? Why?
    Last edited by secondofangle; 06-29-2021 at 07:13 PM.

  12. #32
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Villafuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by secondofangle View Post
    Was does "reverse stretch" mean in relation to these clones?
    Standard MP-5 receiver with a "K" length bbl. and cocking tube

  13. #33
    UZI Talk Life Member
    mattnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    902
    FWIW, I prefer the "stretch" for better stock compatibility...

  14. #34
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,291
    They are both fun. As far as cyclic rate with the 9mm guns, a "ballpark" # is around 700 RPM for the full size, 800 RPM for the reverse stretch, and 900 RPM for the K. I find it more difficult to pull doubles with the high cyclic rate of the K. If the trigger is only pulled to the semi auto location, even the K will only fire one round, with the selector in the auto position. With the higher cyclic rate of the K I find it tough to pull the trigger back far enough for automatic fire, but get off the trigger quick enough for just two rounds fired. My personal favorite is the 10mm K. There is just something about the high cyclic rate of a fairly powerful handgun round in such a small package.

    Scott

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    237
    Thanks guys. I'm back full circle to where I started, thinking I'm going to get an SP5 and have it done by Mike Otte.

    I have followed GB auctions for several weeks now and it seems that HK94s are going for $5600. If I had kept bidding it would be pushing $6000. By the time I buy one and send it to TSC for a full go-over conversion, I'm going to have $8000-9000 in it. (Side Arm Sams a TDyer one right now, a MP5-K on GB for $9200). For that kind of money I could have a Mac10 and start playing with that.

    Mike said he can have me a remarked SP5 starting from a gun he has in stock, and do the receiver and carrier mods and the SEF group for about $4200 out the door. Personally I would not SBR it, just use it as a SEF 9mm host and then have a full German MP5 marked gun. The alternatives are a LCS flat on a German parts kit (RDTS Ralph Jr, or Dakota Tactical) which also appears in the $4000 ballpark if you can find one (2 recently sold here: https://www.hkpro.com/threads/sold-m.../#post-3857979), or the PCS or PTR clones for about $2000. I can't seem to find any other clones on GB or the boards right now, and I see no LCS flat German guns for sale right now.

    So, since it looks like any day I can get a $2000 clone, I'll pass on that and set my sights on an a higher end German gun. I can do the SP5 deal right now for $4-5k, or screw around with a pre-ban conversion for twice as much. The choice seems obvious to me: a converted SP5 German gun.

  16. #36
    UZI Talk Life Member
    TheColtCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Riverview, FL
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by secondofangle View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm back full circle to where I started, thinking I'm going to get an SP5 and have it done by Mike Otte.

    I have followed GB auctions for several weeks now and it seems that HK94s are going for $5600. If I had kept bidding it would be pushing $6000. By the time I buy one and send it to TSC for a full go-over conversion, I'm going to have $8000-9000 in it. (Side Arm Sams a TDyer one right now, a MP5-K on GB for $9200). For that kind of money I could have a Mac10 and start playing with that.

    Mike said he can have me a remarked SP5 starting from a gun he has in stock, and do the receiver and carrier mods and the SEF group for about $4200 out the door. Personally I would not SBR it, just use it as a SEF 9mm host and then have a full German MP5 marked gun. The alternatives are a LCS flat on a German parts kit (RDTS Ralph Jr, or Dakota Tactical) which also appears in the $4000 ballpark if you can find one (2 recently sold here: https://www.hkpro.com/threads/sold-m.../#post-3857979), or the PCS or PTR clones for about $2000. I can't seem to find any other clones on GB or the boards right now, and I see no LCS flat German guns for sale right now.

    So, since it looks like any day I can get a $2000 clone, I'll pass on that and set my sights on an a higher end German gun. I can do the SP5 deal right now for $4-5k, or screw around with a pre-ban conversion for twice as much. The choice seems obvious to me: a converted SP5 German gun.
    Doesn’t look obvious to me. You save thousands of dollars getting a PTR or PCS. Shoot the piss out of it, throw it on the ground and when you accidentally destroy it in your quest to burn more ammo you have money saved to buy another clone

  17. #37
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Gaujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,388
    Just get what you want. This is the nature of being an HK sear owner. If you were choosing a machingun on value you would have made other choices. Why consider value when choosing the host?

    If you want the 94 get it, if you prefer the SP5, get it. If you're not sure it matters to you get the PTR in the meantime.
    Last edited by Gaujo; 07-01-2021 at 08:53 PM.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    237
    yeah, you guys have done a great job of convincing me that clones are an awesome way to shoot your pack/sear. Thanks!

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Middle of USA
    Posts
    11
    DLO packs themselves can only be SEF due to
    The hole in the middle of the pack unless you send it out and weld hole for trigger….only “Sears” can be SEF TO 4 position but def need to me sent to the pros akA TSC, MM, RALPH SR/jr RDTS….

    Side note Dakota tac are cleannnnn but ETA is year or long wait…JEFF at PARABELLUM COMBAT SYSTEM is an awesome guy and his builds are top notch and like 1-2month build time…TSC, Mm, RDTS if you want “German” parts kits builds then yes

    I been thru this ringer and got the “German” builds but shoot the shit out of DAKOTA TACT AND JEFF at PCS love his 51/53 builds and love my DT reverse-s…

    **want MM23e*** on the list forsure….

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    237
    I want it to be SEF only and only a fool would have it modified, that from Mike at TSC himself.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter.