UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parkerizing an MPA 9MM

Parkerizing an MPA 9MM

Hello,

I have a quick question... I have an MPA 9MM Defender I'm trying to make a clone of the M11. I live in Minnesota so FA is sort of difficult to achieve unless C&R. So at the moment the best I can do is pretend! I have an older version of the MPA 9MM, and it's a sand camo color. I was looking to have it parkerized but I'm having a difficult time finding anyone local who does it. I can do cerakote, but not sure how that would look.

Is there any members on here who do parkerizing, or could recommend someone? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialblend07 View Post
    Hello,

I have a quick question... I have an MPA 9MM Defender I'm trying to make a clone of the M11. I live in Minnesota so FA is sort of difficult to achieve unless C&R. So at the moment the best I can do is pretend! I have an older version of the MPA 9MM, and it's a sand camo color. I was looking to have it parkerized but I'm having a difficult time finding anyone local who does it. I can do cerakote, but not sure how that would look.

Is there any members on here who do parkerizing, or could recommend someone? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
    Actually, some older PS m10 macs will be C&R this year and the next, and the PS M11 many of the early ones should be C&R now. I would consider selling it, and saving up!

If you can do cerakote, I'm guessing you already have a blast cabinet for prep right?

If so, I'd say DIY. Its really not very difficult at all, especially for something as small as a MAC.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/pan...24712L422.html

Absolute worst case scenario, you're back where you started.

Best case scenario, you get your MAC parked, and have the equipment/concentrate to park other guns in the future, for roughly what it probably cost to have it mailed out and done for you.

Parking is super easy, just mix up the solution, degrease and blast your parts, dunk them in the hot solution until they quit fizzing, rinse then oil. Done. Something like a MAC should fit in a large stainless steel cooking pot.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I parkerized my STEN. I bought a large stainless steel "chafing pan" off of the internet for about $15 plus something for shipping. I used my gas BBQ grille for heat and bought the chemicals. It was super easy. If you cold blue the part before parkerizing you will get a black parkerizing color.

Hmmm... For some reason I thought it was more in-depth. Looks like the kits are cheap.

One more question though. I'm assuming I need to sand blast or media blast the old finish off? I'm just wondering if all said and done if I buy all the components for this if I'm close to just sending it out to have it done somewhere.

$40ish for the chemical kit
    $20ish for container
    $40 for sandblast gun
    $20 for media

I can't imagine sending it to a shop is going to cost much more??
    Last edited by Specialblend07; 07-07-2021 at 03:21 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Make sure the stainless pan in non-magnetic

Super easy. I had my local GS do the sandblast. Used a large Pyrex pan on the stovetop. Luckily I had a chemistry thermometer and I used the Lauer solution from Midway. The hard part was detail stripping then reassembly of my Tokarev pistol. LOL Im sure the neighbors thought I had lost my mind! Anyway it turned out beautiful. Best wishes.

While the cost of setting up may approach getting it done for you, once you have the setup you can park other things for "free".

Also for a one-off, the cheap Harbor Freight blasting guns can be had for less than $20, especially if you have a 20% off coupon. A blasting cabinet and reusable media is not needed for a one time use job, ordinary play sand from Quickrete is about $4 for a bag and disappears into your lawn as it is used. Just be sure to wear a good respirator and a face shield, sand gets in your lungs it don't come out. Other media too, but sand shatters into dust and is easily breathed in.

UZI Talk Life Member
    ^ I agree.

Good excuse to pick up a beater Canadian Browning HiPower, Remington model 11, or 870 that needs to be a riot gun.

Lots of options. Park is a good basis for HK black.... could lead to a nationwide business based on quality, with this being the very start.

Good luck.

As an inexpensive alternative - Brownells Dark Parkerizing Gray Alumahyde II gun finish gives an excellent retro color - admittedly I used it to match up my Lage "black" upper to match my Powder Springs Gray parked lower and it matched pretty well.

Alumahyde goes on thick and takes a long time to cure - but advise baking in an oven to speed up the process.
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod1117.aspx

As this isn't a collectible - I'd say go with something like that. As others stated - DIY real parkerizing is also relatively easy and once you make an investment in materials you can do other parts for other guns - only works on steel however.

Looks like I'm doing this myself. After looking at Harbor Freight and various gun parkerizing kits I should be able to get everything under $100 which is definitely cheaper than sending it off. I'll be blasting the parts outside as I definitely don't need a blast booth.

I believe someone mentioned doing them on their stove inside. I was planning on the same. Is this safe or do I need to worry about my house becoming a crater in the ground? I'd assume wear a respirator while doing and make sure the neighbors don't think I'm Walter White.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I had a blast set up before, never again. Also did the park before, also never again.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Uber rides are cheaper than cars, but it's nice to have a car ;-). Also can I send you some stuff to parkerize??

Quote Originally Posted by kanewtervalve View Post
    I had a blast set up before, never again. Also did the park before, also never again.
    Whoa what happened Kane? This is a safe space.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Don’t do it inside - nasty fumes
    Just get a $15 electric hot plate (or gas grill) and do it outside

Quote Originally Posted by mattnh View Post
    Don’t do it inside - nasty fumes
    Just get a $15 electric hot plate (or gas grill) and do it outside

I just realized I have a propane fish fryer/burner I could use.

The good thing about this, is being it's not an actual M11 I don't have much to lose IF the finish isn't perfect

I've done it on a gas grill outdoors - The fumes aren't terrible but not pleasing either - Its Phosphoric acid so it has some odor and irritation associated with it.

It, like any finish you apply, always comes down to prep.

The handheld gravity hopper gun from HF works, but it sucks. If you have to use it, make the effort to achieve a uniform, even texture for the park to stick to.

Parkerizing is pretty forgiving, but you have to do the prep work.

I use a $5 garage sale dual-burner hot plate and a stainless restaurant half pan. I have a larger setup 40x6x6 I still need to make a stand for, but for the smaller stuff you can get by with a simple setup.

UZI Talk Supporter
    It's not that hard if you can find a guy to blast it locally all you will need if the above pic and 60 dollars in chemicals that will last you a long time.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Add distilled water, manganese powder, 000 steel wool to this and you have 10Gal+ park solution
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-...T-SG/100672861

+ Reply to Thread